• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2021 Mountain Biking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I went out for my first ride of the season, a short 6.5 mile'er as much to see how the ticker would do. My main thing was to see where my heart beats were. According to my watch, I was averaging about 120 with peaks around 150. I plan on taking it easy for the next few weeks and to keep the HBM's low.

Welcome back to the fray! :beercheer:

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Some more distance riding dropping into the familiar tech. Point to point rides are sweet.

89231B2E-5526-41AC-A0C6-89566FCB2A76.jpeg

5EF72843-7649-4760-873D-D240D012DA21.jpeg
CC8BE67D-F4F5-44DD-AD2A-106A4FBDC588.jpeg
72F5D575-FC0D-417D-BA1E-5A49A3A52CE4.jpeg
2B15DB18-F101-4BD3-9EB3-88CDFD929D0F.jpeg

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
So, weather permitting, we are heading south in two weeks to check out what appears to be an absolutely amazing new trail system in Richfield, UT. "What do you want to do for your birthday?" husband asks me. "I want to go south and bike!" We were thinking Moab, but it's just CROWDED in the spring.

These trails look like the tech will push my comfort envelope in spots, which is good. I'll probably walk some of the drops since I have very little experience riding drops, but some of the chunky rock sections are right up my alley.

Lots of YouTube vidoes of the trails.
'

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
One son riding and one running in Salida today. Absolutely gorgeous weather. The dude may abide, but El Duderino is some full on double black diamond sketch tech (pic of me is on a fun optional line on Abides).

00B8E0A4-4938-484E-A395-AC6E01C84682.jpeg
6E601D65-9917-4B97-ADD4-DEF7E174732B.jpeg
D18B4041-3C97-486C-ADA1-23FB47A1EADC.jpeg
0247F78D-04D1-418A-9E87-810FBDC1A3FF.jpeg
D26372C2-1975-4E95-AAED-0D9E04C58545.jpeg

Last edited:

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
So not yet done with ski season, but have started to ease into biking season. Got all bikes running smoothly and properly lubed ... etc. Decided I would invest in some clinics this year so I do not have a repeat of my crash/shoulder injury from last summer while down hilling at Bachelor. Signed up for some clinics with the Evergreen MTB Alliance to improve my skills ... funny thing is the last time I took a bike clinic I think I was 5 years old and it was all about bike safety while crossing the road :doh: this one should be a lot better. Looking forward to getting out and hitting the trails. Lots of great riding near our place in Sammamish, WA, but will also be spending a couple weeks in the Bend/Sunriver OR area this summer so looking forward to that.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So, weather permitting, we are heading south in two weeks to check out what appears to be an absolutely amazing new trail system in Richfield, UT.

Enjoy, and please report back!

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Our outer overlook loop is up and running for the season. Looking down on Woods Lake. Fun day, but 1,500' vert per hour rides are maybe not best this early in the season!

IMG_3941.JPG

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I took only dirt and left only a little skin and blood.

FILL IN YOUR SITZMARKS!!! :ogbiggrin:

Leaving aside the always/never debate for other threads, I don't know a single person that has tried an e-mtb and not concluded that they needed one. Pure fun.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Funny thing is the trail builders put it there, and wrote notes on it, left it full of rocks and sharpies so you could write your own note! (And not use it to pee or poo.) I was scared to open it, but not @utskier. I did my best Alexis imitation from Schitt's Creek--ewwwww!

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
So, the Pahvant trail system in Richfield is fantastic. So much different than the cross-country, lots of straight sections stuff we ride here in the Wasatch back. The multi-direction trails clearly were built to force downhill riders to scrub speed, while the downhill only trails are much more flowy and straight, with LOTS of drops. I did ride one black diamond trail called Juniper Drop, which was fine until the bottom of it, where the drops were way above my comfort level, but I can see why people love them. All of the blue trails were easily ridable, although I did hop off a few times mostly because new trails=added caution on my part. The scenery is gorgeous, almost other-worldly at times. We rode clear to the top of the trail system on a trail called Faulty, appropriately named after the earthquake fault gorge that lies below. My phone pics don't do it justice. The trail itself was much more like what I'm used to-flowy with long straightaways with just a bit of tech thrown in.

We climbed Big Red, then descended it. It was super cool. Tons of twists and turns and off-camber loose dirt in spots, which always makes me a bit more cautious. Here is a video clip of our descent down it, starting with a cool bridge they built over a boulder. We cannot wait to go back! It's definitely not going to be a summer destination as it will be really hot.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
So, the Pahvant trail system in Richfield is fantastic. So much different than the cross-country, lots of straight sections stuff we ride here in the Wasatch back. The multi-direction trails clearly were built to force downhill riders to scrub speed, while the downhill only trails are much more flowy and straight, with LOTS of drops. I did ride one black diamond trail called Juniper Drop, which was fine until the bottom of it, where the drops were way above my comfort level, but I can see why people love them. All of the blue trails were easily ridable, although I did hop off a few times mostly because new trails=added caution on my part. The scenery is gorgeous, almost other-worldly at times. We rode clear to the top of the trail system on a trail called Faulty, appropriately named after the earthquake fault gorge that lies below. My phone pics don't do it justice. The trail itself was much more like what I'm used to-flowy with long straightaways with just a bit of tech thrown in.

We climbed Big Red, then descended it. It was super cool. Tons of twists and turns and off-camber loose dirt in spots, which always makes me a bit more cautious. Here is a video clip of our descent down it, starting with a cool bridge they built over a boulder. We cannot wait to go back! It's definitely not going to be a summer destination as it will be really hot.

So I woke up from my nap and watched this video. Then, feeling guilty, I dragged my butt out and went for a quick ride. I've so far to go to become even somewhat proficient but borrowing @Tricia's ebike sure makes doing *something* a bit more enticing. And I still breath hard and sweat, even when it's only 56° out, so that's something!

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
The full section 16 loop today. This is a popular area and they just built a new section of trail to better segregate the mountain bikers from hikers. Almost bike park stuff with whip fast flow punctuated by small jumps and other features. Awesome after the kitty litter erosion fall off the top.

This 12 miles has just about everything now. The featured poodle left for the trails when we did and got back when we did.

07BDE63E-AA82-44E5-B384-B50FBCA137C7.jpeg
0ECBBDD5-E783-44F4-B6F7-FD9C1BFCD4C4.jpeg
A7041A44-BABD-4A01-8A6F-07E35CC3F63F.jpeg
41BABF00-75F7-46F2-AF0E-FCBD73C848EB.jpeg
3BD88BB5-A11F-4365-AF28-6CD51A5063DA.jpeg
69D89C28-1A3F-447B-8259-BF08AE6ED019.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online