• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2021 Mountain Biking

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Sort of but didn’t know the line so there was a dismount & a couple of dabs. I hiked back up & scoped it but didn’t want to push my luck after we had just spent a good chunk of time on Nicks tire. I think Blake rode it but he was ahead of us.
View attachment 144019

So this is what happened to me yesterday. No warning, no crash, just stopped shifting. Fortunately we were done with most of the climbing because it was stuck in a pretty big gear. Anyone seen this before? Derailer cable…
View attachment 144020
New bike time! :ogbiggrin:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks. It has probably just been waiting to explode, luckily it waited till after the big climb.

That’s what we have them for, right ;)! I am always amazed at how much abuse such a fragile piece of machinery can take.
You ride that bike like you stole it. I'm shocked you don't have more mechanical issues.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Money shot @ZionPow !!!

1633403319995.jpeg

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The larch are getting better and better. 50/50 chance of getting snowed out of this viewpoint by this time next week, so work was shelved today for (another) ride! Glacier NP in the background.

IMG_0339.JPG

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Been riding a lot, but just local laps. I’ve been PRing the enduro tech stuff each ride but not the DH.

Kind of enjoying that stuff where you really just need to be out of the saddle full time….over say 15 minutes. I can feel the fitness gains day by day.

This is just a pic of Ute Valley.

5316703D-B792-48A7-914E-25EBC92EAADE.jpeg

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
If anyone remembers my complaining when I needed to ride for last 3 months with my old hardtail (how could anyone miss that anyway :roflmao: ), well... this thing is finally over. Story with my cracked Canyon Lux is finally finished and I just received package with bike back. First final outcome... frame is changed and components from old frame were remounted to new one, all inside of warranty case. Sounds good.
Now the whole, which sounds a bit less good, and is reason why this is my last Canyon, regardless how much I actually like this bike. I opened case on 26th of June. About 1 month later, I finally got their first reply, that they want to see my bike in their factory, so they arranged UPS pickup and about 5 weeks after I opened case, they had bike in Germany. Then the shi**t started to roll. I thought it's clear warranty case and once they see bike, I will have new frame or new rear triangle in no time, as case really was clear. But it wasn't all that easy. First it was "no after inspection we concluded it's no warranty case, and we can offer you crash replacement frame for 1500eur plus 300eur for remounting and spare parts plus shipping back". There was no explanation why this wouldn't be warranty case or anything more then what I just wrote.
If I would crash with bike I would be actually happy with that, but I have never crashed with that bike, and it was clear. Bike didn't have a single scratch anywhere on rear triangle and only had few minor stone hits on down tube (from stones flying from under front tire). So of course I didn't really agree with that, and I wanted another check and explanation, because I knew I never crashed.
After some more ping pong with crashing no crashing etc. I got another warranty refusal. This time "there was overload. No warranty, and that's end of story". Well excuse me but it's not going to be end of story. I weight 75kg, and I never jump with bike. I don't feel super comfortable in the air even on skis, but for bike, there's simply no way I would be jumping. Bike on the other hand is by Canyon own specification made for 120kg rider and jumps up to 60cm. It's beyond me, how 75kg guy could overload bike on flat xc trail.
Some more ping pong followed until I got some computer stress analysis showing that place on seatstay where frame cracked was point where the least of forces are applied on whole bike, and if that thing would be overloaded, whole frame should shatter to pieces due such forces. Once they got this mail from me, there was no sign of them for another 2 weeks, and then mail came "We did second assessment and concluded it was material failure. We will replace frame". All of a sudden there was no more problems and 3 weeks later bike is finally back here. Now I need to put it apart, open all bearings as I'm 100% sure they are completely dry, and put grease in them and then I'm ready to go :D But downside is, we just got first snow in mountains, which means mtb season is pretty much over for me :D
I'm happy this was resolved like it was on the end, but it leaves bitter taste, knowing they literally tried to screw and cheat me, that I would pay 1500eur for new frame, when they knew from first second that it's manufacturing fault, and it's clear warranty case. Luckily I wasn't so much in hurry and I had time to wait, but if I would want my bike back ASAP I would pay them 1800-1900eur for what should be warranty, and I guess 90% of people do this and don't bug with them for 3 months. But I still think on long run, it's not really sustainable business model. But then again, nowadays when you sell anything and everything you produce, it doesn't really matter how you treat your clients.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Primoz, yours is far from the first Canyon horror story I've heard. Glad it worked out, but yeah, bitter taste indeed!

4ster

Instructor
@Primoz , been there done that!
Mine was not a Canyon but still took six months to resolve the frame replacement (lifetime warranty) and I ended up buying my own new front fork to match up with the newer model frame.
Glad you ended up OK in the end but sometimes we need to fight for what is right! :bikewheelie:

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
@4ster that was last autumn's case. Old Canyon Lux had some issues where alu insert for main pivot bearings got unglued from frame. Bike was from 2016, but Canyon has 6 years warranty. Based on internet, it was very common issue, and that time, they didn't make problems. Warranty accepted, but they didn't have any old Lux frames anymore. So I got new Lux frame (this one that cracked). But it's different frame with whole bunch of other stuff, so I needed to change complete drivetrain, rear wheel etc. (about 1500eur of expenses). If that would be today, I would tell them to deal with it any way they wish, I just want working bike. At least in EU there are laws that they need to fulfill warranty and if they can't provide replacement for same product, they need to arrange new product of same quality/level. With current experience of them trying to cheat me, I would tell them to deal with this themself, but last autumn I was still nice guy and swallow those expenses myself. So I know exactly how that was for you.
But luckily now this is solved for me, and hopefully no more bad luck for a while. I took bike apart completely today, and reassembled it my way almost completely already. Still another hour or 2 of work tomorrow, and then I can finally go for a ride... if it will get slightly drier and warmer :D

TS
scott43

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
That's a great cautionary tale. Unfortunate that this is happening..they have so much exposure now with paid athletes, I wonder how many are having similar issues. Glad it's sorted but yeah, bitter taste.

4ster

Instructor
My LBS super cool about replacing my derailleur cable along with a few other issues & get me back on the trail this afternoon. Just in time for some tacky goodness & as @ZionPow says maybe the last ride for awhile if the weather forecast holds.

The color varieties hit their peak a few days ago but the yellows are still pretty vibrant
07D3D080-FFC0-4C2E-8F3D-16E57D6FCE3F.jpeg

& the leaves that are done are on the ground
813F9FE3-CBB6-4D95-8DF9-7BDBD2395B9F.jpeg

Tried to hit all the good stuff
FA14A22B-2F6F-4833-B6DE-277FAF996923.jpeg

Threatening showers all day but only got caught after I was back in the car.
227F0971-11E5-434E-81CB-91CD799DBB0A.jpeg

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Trek officially announced the Top Fuel. Everything says this is the bike I need to shave some weight and make climbs more tolerable. The biggest question I have is will I hate the suspension?

RockShox SID Select+, DebonAir spring, Charger 2 RL damper, tapered steerer, 44mm offset, Boost110, 15mm Maxle Stealth, 120mm travel
RockShox Deluxe Ulitmate RCT, 185mm x 50mm

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/...top-fuel-9-8-xt/p/35222/?colorCode=yellow_red

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Trek officially announced the Top Fuel. Everything says this is the bike I need to shave some weight and make climbs more tolerable. The biggest question I have is will I hate the suspension?

RockShox SID Select+, DebonAir spring, Charger 2 RL damper, tapered steerer, 44mm offset, Boost110, 15mm Maxle Stealth, 120mm travel
RockShox Deluxe Ulitmate RCT, 185mm x 50mm

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/...top-fuel-9-8-xt/p/35222/?colorCode=yellow_red

I suspect you'll be fine. I've generally found RS shocks to be great, and had mixed luck with their forks, but honestly, it's been at least 5 years since I owned an RS fork.

I think Trek made this bike just for you. The FEX is almost certainly overkill. All you need to do is swap the Line wheels to Kovees, mount up a little bit lighter/faster rear tire, and let it rip!

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I suspect you'll be fine. I've generally found RS shocks to be great, and had mixed luck with their forks, but honestly, it's been at least 5 years since I owned an RS fork.

I think Trek made this bike just for you. The FEX is almost certainly overkill. All you need to do is swap the Line wheels to Kovees, mount up a little bit lighter/faster rear tire, and let it rip!
It's probably a moot point since I likely won't even get the bike for another year! And a set of wheels might take even longer. Threaded bottom bracket is an interesting and positive move. The bike is more than 1 pound lighter than my current Fuel EX 9.8 XT. I'll go XT again because I much prefer Shimano brakes. It appears they also got rid of the dual lockout, which I'm happy about. I still have an XR3 tire hanging out that's had minimal use. I wonder if I can run a 2.6 in the front?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll go XT again because I much prefer Shimano brakes.

Hard to argue that, plus the new Eagle has a truly hateful 42-52 jump from second to first. Ugh!

It appears they also got rid of the dual lockout, which I'm happy about.

Amen to that. The RS Twistlock was a stone cold loser.

I wonder if I can run a 2.6 in the front?

On Fox 34, easy peasy, so probably OK on the RS fork.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online