• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2021 Mountain Biking

Status
Not open for further replies.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I went mountain biking
543A2DE4-4B5D-45E5-A5F9-950E634657FB.jpeg
04E03901-7E7D-4368-949D-45089371D5F2.jpeg
twice in January, when I didn’t ski due to travel restrictions. Went to Granite Bay, on the shores of Folsom Lake. It’s one of the closest mountain biking areas to my house. I’ve ridden there before, but always with a friend that I was chasing around, so these times, alone, I was lost fairly often. There were friendly people to guide me, and it was actually fun just exploring the trail system. The other thing I enjoyed was the tackiness. I’d only ridden there in summer/fall before, when this area is dry and loose. Made a big difference in my enjoyment of the ride.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
My riding this summer is TBD depending if I am on blood thinners or not.

Reactions: nay

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm looking forward to riding on dirt this year. Gonna be another 6 weeks or so before the fat bike has to get put away though..

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Tom K. you're in the Bend area right? If so, I might reach out to you for trail ideas because I think I'm going to spend a couple of nights in Bend or Sunriver before I head to the campsite in Sisters. I'm roadtripping up this year instead of flying in.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
After a 6 month wait, my Fuel EX 9.8 has arrived. The color is just awesome. I ordered GX but got XT. I am tickled as I wanted XT but the delivery date was longer at the time I ordered, so went with GX. When we opened the box, it was like Christmas on steroids. XT!! What??!!

A spring trip to southern Utah is in order. Our ski season, save for a few weeks, has been pretty grim so I’m excited to get out on the bike again.
CD70E81E-82BF-4749-804D-9962A95636CB.jpeg
A1ACC15A-2FB2-43C1-AF3E-F24A8FA98427.jpeg

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Took it for a spin just on the roads around here. I don't know what the gearing differences are between the Shimano and last year's GX, but wow do I like it. I mean, I know the GX was 32/50 and I put a 32-tooth oval on it, but something about this 30X51 just feels like I have more leverage. I cannot wait to get it out on some climbs. I climbed a road here and it just felt...fast and light. I've already entered a race being held in early July, which is usually about when I start to peak. Powder Mountain has been hosting a weekly race series with age divisions and women over 50 don't show up, except one great friend of mine who I can outclimb (she knows it, she blows my ass out of the water on the downhills.) I can win lift tickets among other things. I think I need to get out there this year. She and I can beat each other up trying to win some swag. :ogbiggrin:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
New bike buzz for the win @AmyPJ!

Seriously, a 30t firms up the suspension on the FEX while climbing when compared to the 32t (increases anti-squat a bit).

I had a good ride today. Fat bike, but since that thread is waning as March rolls on, I'll post here.

Planned to go skiing, but the mountain was wearing a cloud "hat", so I decided to try a groomed ride that I had been avoiding all winter because 1) boring and 2) our FB single track has been awesome.

It was fun spinning up the groomed trail. Kind of like a road ride with no cars, no noise, and great scenery. Eventually, I found this, which made it even better:
IMG_3832.JPG

Which led to this awesome view!

IMG_3835.JPG

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Tom K. you're in the Bend area right? If so, I might reach out to you for trail ideas because I think I'm going to spend a couple of nights in Bend or Sunriver before I head to the campsite in Sisters. I'm roadtripping up this year instead of flying in.

Sorry, I started replying to this, got distracted by an annoying work call, then forgot.

Previously in Hood River, but lots of riding over the decades in Bend and Sisters. One of my all time favorite Bend rides is to ride up Mrazek from Shevlin Park. So fun in both directions. If you happen to get a mile or so above the dreaded, shaley, sidehill climb section, there are a couple spurs to the left that are less than 10 or 20 yards long that lead to a killer view lunch spot.

If you make all the way to the top (13 miles? or about 2 miles past the top of Farewell) good on ya!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online