• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2021 Mountain Biking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So, the Pahvant trail system in Richfield is fantastic. ..... It's definitely not going to be a summer destination as it will be really hot.

On the list, thanks for the report!

Probably gonna be too hot when I get down to Moab in early May.

Darn work throws a monkey wrench into my spring desert mtb trip plans every fifth year. Early May just seems a bit too late, for my Scandihoovian blood!

Reactions: nay

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
On the list, thanks for the report!

Probably gonna be too hot when I get down to Moab in early May.

Darn work throws a monkey wrench into my spring desert mtb trip plans every fifth year. Early May just seems a bit too late, for my Scandihoovian blood!
Early May should be fine, especially in the mornings. It's not as hot as Moab there, I don't think. Well worth the stop on I-70! They're supposed to add a new DH green/blue trail that will run approximately the same route as Spinal Tap (I think) which would make for one fantastic loop for riders who don't love the big drops and jumps. :wave: The ride up Kiln It was nice, but the ride up Big Red was nicer and more scenic without being much more challenging except a bit steeper and more of a climb. I have a bit more video, but none of it is very exciting. The GoPro is new to us, and @utskier, who is much faster and will hit jumps on the DH is behind me, so I slow him down. He was ahead of my on Juniper Drop, which was only too challenging for me towards the bottom. (Too challenging mentally. I have the skills, I'm just cautious.)

We went into Jorgensen's in Richfield, who carry everything under the sun, including MTB and they are a Trek dealer. Got lots of good info there and had some great conversations, too. It's always good to support the LBS!

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
After just a few days I think it's safe to say I'm hooked, or at least following the lure closely. On the other hand, this never happens when I'm skiing. 5.7 miles riding, 2.7 miles pushing.
20210426_152730.jpg

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Ahhh The Tool Fairy... :ogbiggrin: never one around when you need one!
When you start over you tend to forget the whole "stuff happens" thing.

TS
scott43

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
When you start over you tend to forget the whole "stuff happens" thing.
You need to ride with me..I'm a Tool Fairy.. ogsmile:wave:

So question, being a bike mech for a long time, I often see people in distress and I do, in fact, have tools and tubes. I stop to offer assistance but I feel people are startled or put off and often say no thanks. Is this a human thing? Or just around here thing. I see people with flats or busted chains and know I can help in 3 mins but they just...don't seem to want help. Maybe I look like Hannibal??

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

So question, being a bike mech for a long time, I often see people in distress and I do, in fact, have tools and tubes. I stop to offer assistance but I feel people are startled or put off and often say no thanks. Is this a human thing? Or just around here thing. I see people with flats or busted chains and know I can help in 3 mins but they just...don't seem to want help. Maybe I look like Hannibal??
To accept help would be admitting that you were not prepared. I am old enough that I can admit that if it means not walking down the mountain.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Guys never admit they need help. A woman will, but she is often not keen on accepting help from a strange (to her) guy if she is alone. If she's in a group then probably there's a guy who has taken over (regardless of his actual ability to help, if any) and we're back to "guys never admit they need help." The last possibility is that the group is all women. And we all know a group of women can figure out anything. So there you have it.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Wait. No wonder you got a flat.

And isn't it kind of small for you?
It was a bit too big for her. Seems to fit me fine. All adjusted for my, ahem, greater mass.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
It was a bit too big for her. Seems to fit me fine. All adjusted for my, ahem, greater mass.
Is it not running tubeless? If so, just carry a CO2 cartridge with a dispenser and reinflate. Unless it's sealant has dried out...OR the tire is split. Then you need a tube.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Is it not running tubeless? If so, just carry a CO2 cartridge with a dispenser and reinflate. Unless it's sealant has dried out...OR the tire is split. Then you need a tube.
Oh sure. NOW the tool fairies come out of the effin' woodwork.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
It's not tubeless. I'm guessing it's a pinched tube. Will know more later.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
It's not tubeless. I'm guessing it's a pinched tube. Will know more later.

Go tubeless and carry an ultralight Tubolito tube for emergencies. CO2 is great, but sometimes you can blow a bead that won’t reseat with more air than that.

One reason I run 2.6 tires is there a more air and tire to work with, and nothing contributes more to suppleness than lower PSI.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Go tubeless and carry an ultralight Tubolito tube for emergencies. CO2 is great, but sometimes you can blow a bead that won’t reseat with more air than that.

One reason I run 2.6 tires is there a more air and tire to work with, and nothing contributes more to suppleness than lower PSI.
I'll be looking into these things *IF* I end up with a bike of my own. All tips and tricks appreciated!

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
After just a few days I think it's safe to say I'm hooked, or at least following the lure closely. On the other hand, this never happens when I'm skiing. 5.7 miles riding, 2.7 miles pushing.

On the trail flat repair school TODAY!

Ten minutes. Less time than you pushed!

I see people with flats or busted chains and know I can help in 3 mins but they just...don't seem to want help. Maybe I look like Hannibal??

Is that you, Jason?!

I'll be looking into these things *IF* I end up with a bike of my own. All tips and tricks appreciated!

Seems like you're probably past the point of "if" to me!

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I got the tire fixed last night and headed out today. I ended up doing 14 miles. I don't care what people say, it's still a workout on an ebike!
20210427_170514.jpg

Overlooking Reno from the Peavine trail system. In the @KULKEA Micro Pack? A spare tube, pump, wrenches, irons, patches, first aid, and a jacket. Fool me once...

princo

Getting off the lift
Skier
Go tubeless and carry an ultralight Tubolito tube for emergencies.

Tubolitos....and on the topic of assisting others...I was on a group ride (road) recently and someone in the group blew both tires with goat heads. The rider with the flat only had a single spare tube. In the past I didn't mind offering my tube (just give me $7 at the end of the ride), but I only carry a Tubolito as my spare since switching to tubeless. And the thought of "loaning" my $37 spare Tubolito to a somewhat stranger gave me pause. Weird and selfish feeling as I usually provide assistance whenever I can. Would people think you are trying to stiff them if you ask them for the full price of the Tubolito? Just ask for the tubolito back at the end of the ride? Or only loan it as a last resort?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
  • Andy Mink