• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2021 Mountain Biking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That is sweet!

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I went for a ride today to check out the trail work we did last evening. It rode nicely. It had been loose gravel before. 5 turns were enhanced with minor berms. This is the Colorado Trail so the USFS didn't want large berms.

IMG_20210609_190339.jpg

IMG_20210609_190148.jpg

IMG_20210609_181711.jpg

IMG_20210609_183552.jpg

IMG_20210609_183533_1.jpg

'Accidental' bike shot.

IMG_20210609_184257.jpg

IMG_20210609_184451.jpg

strava2366046317000005576.jpg

I ran into a bunch of my fellow trail workers in the parking lot. We all had the same idea. 'We built it, we'll ride it.'

IMG_20210609_184548.jpg

SMH. This was left at a trail junction. I brought it home for scrap metal recycling.

Joel

Having fun
Skier
I go taken up in a glider 3 years ago. I got sick. Lame. I was loving it until I got that woozy feeling.

Ya, once that woozy feeling hits, time to be on the ground. I spent about 10 years giving flight instruction in power planes, learned to tell when students were starting to turn green. Gliders are worse in that regard, we are looking for unstable air.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So, with the purchase of the new-to-me Cannondale Habit Neo, I started looking around at "stuff". Overwhelming! This is going to be more time consuming than skiing! Down the rabbit hole I go!

Please ask for advice on equipment purchases.

We are all really looking forward to helping you spend your money! :ogbiggrin:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I should have stayed in the office today.

I tagged a tree about 10 feet up the trail with my bar end, putting my front wheel at 90° to my direction of travel. Momentum took me straight into the next tree while I flew, still astride my bike, into the tree leading with my right kidney. It was a good thing I protected the bike from the tree. I had broken limbs raining down on me, kind of like when you shake a tree when it is covered in snow.

IMG_20210611_122023.jpg

The scene of the wreck.

The bikes only damage was a the brake and shifter were twisted out of position and the front wheel delaminated. I thought the rim was damaged, but the shop guy put it on a truing stand and it was still perfect. Apparently the sideways force on the tire caused the layers of the tire to come apart. A new Minion DHF 27.5 x 2.5 was my repair/upgrade. I had 2.4 tire on it before.

IMG_1500.JPG

My cellphone was in the back right pocket. Fortunately the Moto Z2's unbreakable screen lived up to its hype. The screen protector was the only thing damaged. Perhaps the phone save my kidney?

The bodily damage.
IMG_20210611_131200.jpg

I expect to have some different colors soon. I don't usually bulge that much at the top of my right pelvis. There is some major swelling going on.

strava8705771524425904367.jpg

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Ouch! Hope the damage is superficial & you heal up quickly.

I caught a tree with my bar end last summer which slammed me to the ground abruptly. I was a little shook but luckily no major physical damage. My derailer on the other hand was toast. :bikewheelie:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We got to within a quarter mile of our intended endpoint today, at ~7,000 feet. Unfortunately, the past two days of glorious rain left a bit of a surprise up high, so we aborted at 6,800. Still a great ride.

IMG_0038.JPG

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I should have stayed in the office today.

I tagged a tree about 10 feet up the trail with my bar end, putting my front wheel at 90° to my direction of travel. Momentum took me straight into the next tree while I flew, still astride my bike, into the tree leading with my right kidney. It was a good thing I protected the bike from the tree. I had broken limbs raining down on me, kind of like when you shake a tree when it is covered in snow.

View attachment 135684
The scene of the wreck.

The bikes only damage was a the brake and shifter were twisted out of position and the front wheel delaminated. I thought the rim was damaged, but the shop guy put it on a truing stand and it was still perfect. Apparently the sideways force on the tire caused the layers of the tire to come apart. A new Minion DHF 27.5 x 2.5 was my repair/upgrade. I had 2.4 tire on it before.

View attachment 135687
My cellphone was in the back right pocket. Fortunately the Moto Z2's unbreakable screen lived up to its hype. The screen protector was the only thing damaged. Perhaps the phone save my kidney?

The bodily damage.
View attachment 135685
I expect to have some different colors soon. I don't usually bulge that much at the top of my right pelvis. There is some major swelling going on.

View attachment 135686
Ouch. At least it was close to the start.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I had broken limbs raining down on me,
When I started to read this line I thought YOU had broken limbs.
Glad it was just the tree.
Heal up!

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Doug Briggs, I find your callous disregard for the tree with broken limbs shocking, really shocking.
Whenever I encounter a cellulose obstacle, on skis or bikes or whatever, I apologize and thank them for stopping me. This time I neglected to.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
HEHE, I just saw your headset cap on line.

wooglin

Making fresh tracks
Skier
HEHE, I just saw your headset cap on line.
Had mine made custom ten years ago or so.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Even though it should be summer, it's still pretty chilly around here, especially after sweating like hell on last 1200m of ascend and ending up almost in middle of the cloud on top of the mountain. Good that I was somehow expecting some showers and packet rain jacket in my back pocket. We remained dry till end of ride, but rain jacket came handy in this iight wind and +10c temperatures on top :)

IMG-20210613-WA0012.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor