• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2021 Mountain Biking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Eek. I haven't owned a hardtail since 2004, and I don't want to think about going back. At least it has discs.
It's honestly not all that bad. Ok first ride, when I took bike out was disaster.

Same here, on both counts. When I take my HT out for a real mtb ride, I don't enjoy it.

But last year I found myself in circumstances where I rode it four days in a row, and everything started clicking on the third day.

Score one for proprioception!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Philpug started the season a few years ago riding my old Klein Attitude. I had made it a single speed but he made it a 1X7 to ride until he got his new bike ordered.
So here's my five year old on the pump track...
View attachment 137982
As cool as it is to see some of the BA riding from some of our grown ups, I'm almost more stoked about the kids riding pics and seeing dads like the one I encountered teaching his kids.
Then there's @nay and his pictures of his son. That's a whole different element of "kids on bikes"

Thanks for sharing this @scott43

Bienski

Putting on skis
Skier
Really great to see the two little guys out on bikes in Tricia’s post. My first thought however, was regarding their poorly fitted helmets, particularly the blue helmeted one. I’m sure the readers of this forum are aware of the dangers of ill-fitted helmets. My question is, what to do or say, if anything, in a situation like that? On more than one occasion, after making what I thought was a very tactful comment about the child’s helmet fit, I was told by the parent to mind my own business. Thoughts/suggestions?

TS
scott43

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
No offense, but do you have kids? I'd say rule number one is don't talk about other people's kids. I get you have good intentions but this is a minefield. You'd have to have UN level diplomacy skillz to pull it off without offending someone. I'm not judging just pointing out human nature.. you're absolutely right but.... Minefield...

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
No offense, but do you have kids? I'd say rule number one is don't talk about other people's kids. I get you have good intentions but this is a minefield. You'd have to have UN level diplomacy skillz to pull it off without offending someone. I'm not judging just pointing out human nature.. you're absolutely right but.... Minefield...
In light of not having UN-level, nor even Myanmar-level diplomatic skills, I tend to keep my mouth shut unless I'm already engaged in conversation that I can easily slip it into. I do cringe, though, and fervently hope that the poor helmet fit doesn't come back to cause injury.

I will point out unbuckled helmets, as people seem to be more receptive to that. I generally skip the explanation as to why that's a serious safety risk unless it's someone I'd be responsible for (e.g. one of my ski-racing athletes).

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
As a survivor (mostly) of several severe concussions, all accompanied by helmet usage, I cringe, but keep my mouth shut, when I see helmets not being fitted and properly worn. I do, like @sparty, mention unbuckled straps to perfect strangers. Even the lifties and scanners will often mention them, usually on my first run, when I haven't buckled up.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Really great to see the two little guys out on bikes in Tricia’s post. My first thought however, was regarding their poorly fitted helmets, particularly the blue helmeted one. I’m sure the readers of this forum are aware of the dangers of ill-fitted helmets. My question is, what to do or say, if anything, in a situation like that? On more than one occasion, after making what I thought was a very tactful comment about the child’s helmet fit, I was told by the parent to mind my own business. Thoughts/suggestions?
For all you know this session was preceded by fifteen forty-five minute contentious conversations with the kid and the rest of the family, over the course of eight months, about wearing a helmet, and what you see in the photo was the detente finally arrived at. In no context is "it's not a perfect world" more true than in parenting.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Just another helmet thread?

Well fit MIPS helmets...
500E9C64-53F8-4615-B670-B78C928EA08E.jpeg
58952D54-6D4E-45F4-AE91-84032DAFE778.jpeg
24861440-135D-4DA5-95FC-9D30CFAC176C.jpeg

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I managed to get a few 25 mile rides in recently. One barely counts as a MTB ride as it was entirely on dirt roads but you dance with who brung ya. We were camping with friends near Wildhorse Reservoir (about 60 miles north of Elko, NV) last week. On Sunday night we had a luau to celebrate some friends' 40th anniversary. I felt guilty and decided I'd better ride somewhere in the morning. I also have an antelope tag in the area in September, so two birds with two wheels!
20210712_053910.jpg

Up with the sun before it got too hot

VideoCapture_20210720-131135.jpg

If you look closely, you'll see a herd of antelope on the right and getting on to the road. We had a race. I did not prevail. I couldn't even catch their dust!

VideoCapture_20210720-131233.jpg

Another batch of speed goats crossing in front of me. Apologies for the poor video capture!

20210712_063205.jpg

When "YOU ARE HERE" doesn't really tell you much.

The second ride was my hardest yet. I rode to the top of Peavine Mountain this morning. A little over 3000' vertical over 25.8 miles. The ride up was a mix of excellent MTB single track and the access road to the towers at the top of the mountain. Even with my eMTB, there was plenty of perspiration. The ride down was on an, ahem, trail-like "path" that was steep, rocky, and had sand and loose gravel thrown in for good measure. My arms were more tired than my legs by the bottom.

Screenshot_20210720-133030_eBike Connect.jpg

20210720_092901_resized.jpg

Remnants of the fire from last year or two years ago.

20210720_094017_resized.jpg

Flowers along the trail.

20210720_101340_resized.jpg

Up the access road. This was a grind.

20210720_103741_resized.jpg

At the top looking at the Golden and Lemmon Valley, and Stead. I think I can see your house, @Pat AKA mustski!

20210720_103935_resized.jpg

Reno as the smoke drifts in from one or more fires.

20210720_110153_resized.jpg

The "trail" down.

So, a few good rides, though not as often as I want or should. I will say this is way better than I thought it would be!

Last edited:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice work, Andy! 25 miles is still a lot of miles on any terrain. That descent from Peavine looks like chunky fun that would definitely get tiring after awhile.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
The AQI has been over 100 most days lately. This morning it started out in the teens so I got out and got after it. I started up one of my usual loops from the house and at a junction noticed a new trail. So I took it!

IMG_20210721_101854_DRO.jpg

A few hundred yards in I came across this tree.

IMG_20210721_102442_DRO.jpg

And slayed it.

IMG_20210721_102842_DRO.jpg

Farther along I came across this artifact from the old mining days. I think they should call this trail 'Broken Wheel'.

IMG_20210721_102920_DRO.jpg

They put a lot of effort into this retaining wall. The trail was about 4 feet above the original grade. The Breck trail crew is awesome. The didn't have to go far for the mineral soil, though. ;)

IMG_20210721_103136_DRO.jpg

I was like'n this trail a lot. It joined up with the final switchback of another nice trail. I chose to ride back down Broken Wheel, though. Super plush descent. No brake bumps. :rolleyes:

strava4464298063208977188.jpg

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
IMG_20210721_102842_DRO.jpg

Farther along I came across this artifact from the old mining days. I think they should call this trail 'Broken Wheel'.
It looks like an old ore cart wheel. Very cool!

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
For all you know this session was preceded by fifteen forty-five minute contentious conversations with the kid and the rest of the family, over the course of eight months, about wearing a helmet, and what you see in the photo was the detente finally arrived at. In no context is "it's not a perfect world" more true than in parenting.
I saw this on FB today and thought of this conversation. SO TRUE!

Screenshot_20210721-190742_Facebook-01.jpeg

TS
scott43

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I am currently living this.. ^^^^^

"I dont want my bum changed! I want my POOH!!!"
"I don't want socks! I just want my rubber boots!!"
"No seatbelts!!! NOOO!!!!"

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
It looks like an old ore cart wheel. Very cool!
There was another one lower down the trail that I didn't photograph as I was on a roll. There's an old ore cart near a trailhead in the vicinity. Mining remnants are all over the place. If I stopped to shoot everything of interest, I'd never go more than a mile or two. ;-)

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
There was another one lower down the trail that I didn't photograph as I was on a roll. There's an old ore cart near a trailhead in the vicinity. Mining remnants are all over the place. If I stopped to shoot everything of interest, I'd never go more than a mile or two. ;-)
Sometimes you just have to take that slow road!

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Sometimes you just have to take that slow road!
I'll take the slow road, fast, thank you. :duck: I did stop to remove the tree, too.

The following is with tongue firmly in cheek, but I do take a lot of mining pictures. Way more of flowers.
IMG_20210603_164057.jpg

Said mining cart,

IMG_20200926_101559804_HDR.jpg

A test pit (I always do three laps),

IMG_20200726_102701820_HDR.jpg

trail builder art,

IMG_20200712_075014814_HDR.jpg

abandoned dredge boat,

IMG_20200628_083546207_HDR.jpg

a gantry of some sort,

IMG_20200626_090859754_HDR.jpg

more trail builder art,

IMG_20200617_144406343_HDR.jpg

and a moose on a mining ditch berm. Stopping for this last photo was not really optional. I had to wait for the moose to move. ;)

And that's just a 12 month cycle of riding. And with all the wild flower photos, it's a miracle I ever get home.

The mining industry severely impacted the biking that followed it by decades. Lots of our trails are on ditches and mining roads. Just about every trail has a mining cabin or remains along it. On one of the the trails leaving my neighborhood there is a 6 - 8 foot gear erected as a 'monument' and some sort of drilling device. I'll slow down and take a picture of them the next time I head out. ogsmile

:beercheer:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online