• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mountain Biking as Therapy for Back Pain

Pdub

best day ever
Skier
Anyone else notice this?

I've been dealing with a lumbar (low back) disc issue for 4 years, but it's really flared up since a stupid icy-ski-area-parking-lot-tumble-on-son's-bootbag last January. Lots of right lower back pain shooting down the thigh to the knee, which is completely numb. L3/4 disc impingement on MRI so I saw a surgeon who said to wait, and then another who said to operate. I decided to wait.

Come spring I gingerly returned to mountain biking, but lo and behold, every outing relieved my pain for at least 12 hours. Now I'm absolutely dependent on mountain biking, can't go 3 days without it or the pain returns. Not that its 100% gone, just a lot better if I bike. I ride with a rotating group of 5 guys and mentioned this recently, and two others have had a similar experience. One guy, an orthopedic surgeon, told me he has to mountain bike several times a week or his back starts to seize up. He does not have a known disc issue, just run of the mill 55 year old low back discomfort.

Interesting that I don't get the same degree of relief from a stationary bike. I don't road bike so can't comment on that. I do get some relief from vigorous uphill hiking, just not as dramatic.

Around here the mountain biking is fairly technical, lots of roots and rocks, super narrow, definitely not fast and flowy. Constantly moving up and down on the dropper post, leaning forward or back, left or right etc. Very dynamic body position and good balance required. We usually do around 9 miles averaging maybe 6 mph. Can't go much faster around here. Total climbing around 1200 vertical fret.

One caveat: don't fall. My one major fall this summer caused a setback that kind of undid all this goodness, at least for a few weeks.

Clearly some of this is just that activity and warming up helps any pain. Some of it must surely be core strengthening. But something about the dynamic positioning and core muscle activation required by mountain biking seems to make it uniquely helpful for low back pain. (Or maybe the 3 of us are just delusional and will find any excuse to ride!)

wooglin

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My lower back pain is FROM riding bikes. Solution for me is a deep squat (heels on floor butt on heels hold for 10 seconds) every morning followed by 10-20 regular squats. Made a world of difference. My glutes were too tight I guess.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
That sounds insane. Full suspension?

I know when I had an L3 herniated disk decades ago I sat out 1 ski season. After finally skiing again it felt like skiing totally stretched and relaxed me just right and my back felt better than it had since I first started getting sciatica. Seemed to me that my herniated disk was caused by running.

I'm still doing stretches and core work and my back has been mostly good for a long time.

TS
Pdub

Pdub

best day ever
Skier
Yes full suspension 29" Stumpjumper, and 12 psi in my tubeless tires helps soften the impacts too

mogulman

Getting on the lift
Skier
I have fusion in my lower back with rods/hardware. I've found that biking helps my lower back a lot. MTB and road. I'm assuming it's because of the position/stretching of my lower back muscles when on a bike.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If you have a good fit and don’t push too hard I can see how it would strengthen your back. I’ve taken a brake from pull-ups due to back issues so now notice it a little.
Either way if it’s working for you that’s great. Maybe just upping your general fitness level has helped.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
I try and get all of my back pain patients to mountain bike, and while it’s a little counterintuitive, here’s my rationale:

• your joints are encapsulated and don’t have a direct blood supply. They are dependent on movement to produce osmosis for the delivery of nutrients, synovial fluid (joint WD40) that lessens intern resistance dispersion and clearance of metabolic waste products.

• purely from a neurodynamic perspective, nerves need three things to be happy: movement, blood supply & space. Mountain biking produces movement and an increase in blood supply. Space comes from the mechanical separation of the joints while bouncing around.

• cavitation or popping - we used to think this was exceeding the joint range of motion, but it actually is productive of release of endogenous opioids.

Last edited:

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
Curious - please expand.

Sure. First, I corrected the dictation error. That's endogenous, not indigenous :)

We (Physios, Chiros, Osteo's of my age..... ) were taught that when we took a joint to end range & thrusted, we 'broke the barriers' , 'tore the scar tissue' or 'freed the adhesions..." and the patient felt better from our releasing the restrictions. More modern science informs that we are simply creating enough motion to trigger the endogenous opioid pathways in the body & that's how it feels better.

Much of the time this level of motion is accompanied with a popping or cavitation sound aka "the crack".

Bouncing around on the mountain bike often produces enough vector forces to create a joint manipulation or adjustment or grade 5 mobilizations depending on you frame of reference. It's sort of a free high that comes with the activity.

Does this clarify?

If someone has an overt instability in the spine segments, biking may not be a front line goto. Yet for everyone else, bulges are normal, arthritis is just wrinkles on the inside and muscle imbalances are everywhere & should not be seen as red/yellow flags to MTB.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I have sporadic lower back pain that comes more than goes. Riding seems to clear it up. Going with the back bone is connected to the hip bone, the bone connected to the leg bone, etc. I can only guess the motion of the femur in the hip helps the lower back somehow. I don't really know how, nor do I need to, I just know it does alleviate pain.

RoninSkier

Getting off the lift
Skier
Anyone else notice this?

I've been dealing with a lumbar (low back) disc issue for 4 years, but it's really flared up since a stupid icy-ski-area-parking-lot-tumble-on-son's-bootbag last January. Lots of right lower back pain shooting down the thigh to the knee, which is completely numb. L3/4 disc impingement on MRI so I saw a surgeon who said to wait, and then another who said to operate. I decided to wait.

Come spring I gingerly returned to mountain biking, but lo and behold, every outing relieved my pain for at least 12 hours. Now I'm absolutely dependent on mountain biking, can't go 3 days without it or the pain returns. Not that its 100% gone, just a lot better if I bike. I ride with a rotating group of 5 guys and mentioned this recently, and two others have had a similar experience. One guy, an orthopedic surgeon, told me he has to mountain bike several times a week or his back starts to seize up. He does not have a known disc issue, just run of the mill 55 year old low back discomfort.

Interesting that I don't get the same degree of relief from a stationary bike. I don't road bike so can't comment on that. I do get some relief from vigorous uphill hiking, just not as dramatic.

Around here the mountain biking is fairly technical, lots of roots and rocks, super narrow, definitely not fast and flowy. Constantly moving up and down on the dropper post, leaning forward or back, left or right etc. Very dynamic body position and good balance required. We usually do around 9 miles averaging maybe 6 mph. Can't go much faster around here. Total climbing around 1200 vertical fret.

One caveat: don't fall. My one major fall this summer caused a setback that kind of undid all this goodness, at least for a few weeks.

Clearly some of this is just that activity and warming up helps any pain. Some of it must surely be core strengthening. But something about the dynamic positioning and core muscle activation required by mountain biking seems to make it uniquely helpful for low back pain. (Or maybe the 3 of us are just delusional and will find any excuse to ride!)
And daily core work = range of movement/flexibility + strength
Core work to include back, obliques & stomach

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
I find mountain biking to be an exceptional all around core and mobility fitness basis including management of general pain and flexibility. Other than the fact that I am currently quite present in the down and out thread, getting on the bike 3-4 times a week if possible is non-negotiable.

I ride all winter now and am looking at fat bikes to further increase that ability and range. The value is so high across the board that I put it above skiing now - at the time of my injury I was easily in the best overall condition of my life, which is key in injury recovery, and I’ve had varying degrees of back issues since I grew 7” at age 16.

It also feeds the downhill brain, which is essential :ogcool:. Skis to mountain bike, zero rust. 10/10 recommend.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Oh, right. Was just reading about their new FacialHairGravel release.
You can get a free bottle with your favorite over-the-top IPA.

Seriously, as somebody who started skiing at age 40, mountain biking has done more for my skiing than skiing. Pitch on a snow covered mountain seems to flatten out in a hurry compared to dropping big stuff in rocks. And having a year round downhill pursuit is key. I never understood the correlation between mountain biking and skiing from a brain perspective until I added mountain biking.

Bikes have brakes, though, as my femur would tell you.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My lower back pain is FROM riding bikes. Solution for me is a deep squat (heels on floor butt on heels hold for 10 seconds) every morning followed by 10-20 regular squats. Made a world of difference. My glutes were too tight I guess.
Glutes and flexors iloposas(sp?) can cause lower back pain.The flexors in the front near the top of the quads connect to the glutes laterally . It seems counterintuitive but if those muscles are tight or weak they don’t activate properly and the glutes do too much work and often start to pull on the lower back fascia muscles, causing pain in the area .One reason the riding may be exacerbating or causing back pain is that cycling tends to tighten the flexors. Great for the glutes and your general hip area but the motion tends to tighten the flexors and groin. A Child’s pose is helpful pre -ride for lower back and glutes, bridges or lunges for the front of the hips. .How do I know this stuff? I had some of these issues but they are largely gone. Two hip replacements and great PT guys who answered every question I had educated me . I am no PT as some here are but it if you understand the mechanics you can target your exercise more effectively.

Sponsor

Staff online