• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mountain Biking as Therapy for Back Pain

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Wishing @nay ‘s femur all the best. Thank god for titanium. But yes, agree, skating, rollerblading , all help.

Reactions: nay

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
You can get a free bottle with your favorite over-the-top IPA.

Seriously, as somebody who started skiing at age 40, mountain biking has done more for my skiing than skiing. Pitch on a snow covered mountain seems to flatten out in a hurry compared to dropping big stuff in rocks. And having a year round downhill pursuit is key. I never understood the correlation between mountain biking and skiing from a brain perspective until I added mountain biking.

Bikes have brakes, though, as my femur would tell you.
I agree with you about the “ downhill “ brain. As a kid, we would run - full speed , down moderate to steep wooded hills - boreal forest with boulders , roots etc. These were “races”but we would assign ourselves style points for jumps off of rocks etc. we did this for fun , out of boredom, not as conscious training but Ive always thought it improved my timing and perception and balance. Lots off falls -grabbing small trees were our brakes. Any wonder why I’ve had both hips replaced :roflmao: ?

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
I agree with you about the “ downhill “ brain. As a kid, we would run - full speed , down moderate to steep wooded hills - boreal forest with boulders , roots etc. These were “races”but we would assign ourselves style points for jumps off of rocks etc. we did this for fun , out of boredom, not as conscious training but Ive always thought it improved my timing and perception and balance. Lots off falls -grabbing small trees were our brakes. Any wonder why I’ve had both hips replaced :roflmao: ?
We stop this type of agility training as we age, at the base level of play. There is no question on what downhill brain training does for any complementary sport. Watch a mountain runner barrel down a scree field - that brain does not come easily (or body).

I think higher level mountain biking is two sports, given that uphill training does not lead cleanly to technical downhill fitness. We are dynamic on a mountain bike if we are out of the seat full time on the way down, dropper posts ftw.

I am painfully aware, femur aside, that my two sports have me rigid at the foot. I need to incorporate a lot more foot work into my regular routine.

But stay on a bike. At 9 weeks following a major hip/femur fracture I’m riding my wife’s Peloton at top 15% of all outputs on a HIIT ride, which on a stationary bike most resembles punchy mountain bike climbing. That’s way ahead of the walking stuff, which I am also ahead in recovery.

And I’ve signed myself up for the Gunnison Growler, right at 4.5 months. That’s 32 miles at 8-9K elevation and 4K of punchy small segment climbing. We’ll see if that’s remotely reasonable.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We stop this type of agility training as we age, at the base level of play. There is no question on what downhill brain training does for any complementary sport. Watch a mountain runner barrel down a scree field - that brain does not come easily (or body).

I think higher level mountain biking is two sports, given that uphill training does not lead cleanly to technical downhill fitness. We are dynamic on a mountain bike if we are out of the seat full time on the way down, dropper posts ftw.

I am painfully aware, femur aside, that my two sports have me rigid at the foot. I need to incorporate a lot more foot work into my regular routine.

But stay on a bike. At 9 weeks following a major hip/femur fracture I’m riding my wife’s Peloton at top 15% of all outputs on a HIIT ride, which on a stationary bike most resembles punchy mountain bike climbing. That’s way ahead of the walking stuff, which I am also ahead in recovery.

And I’ve signed myself up for the Gunnison Growler, right at 4.5 months. That’s 32 miles at 8-9K elevation and 4K of punchy small segment climbing. We’ll see if that’s remotely reasonable.
The only thing I’d say about Gunnison is don’t get discouraged if you hit plateaus between now and then. It’s crucial to have a goal and this doesn’t seem unreasonable. The advantage you have is you were in good shape prior to the accident and you are back on the horse already. The bone heals at it’s own pretty predictable pace, the muscles have a mind of their own sometimes. I was amazed by how fast my 60 year old muscles deteriorated- this is normal -but I was also pleasantly surprised by how fast I can still build muscle . That said, it’s not linear. I just broke the 5mph personal walking speed ( not quite ready to run yet ) and I can hit a 43” stride when I turn it on. A month ago I thought that was 3 months away. As my PT’s say , movement is medicine.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
The only thing I’d say about Gunnison is don’t get discouraged if you hit plateaus between now and then. It’s crucial to have a goal and this doesn’t seem unreasonable. The advantage you have is you were in good shape prior to the accident and you are back on the horse already. The bone heals at it’s own pretty predictable pace, the muscles have a mind of their own sometimes. I was amazed by how fast my 60 year old muscles deteriorated- this is normal -but I was also pleasantly surprised by how fast I can still build muscle . That said, it’s not linear. I just broke the 5mph personal walking speed ( not quite ready to run yet ) and I can hit a 43” stride when I turn it on. A month ago I thought that was 3 months away. As my PT’s say , movement is medicine.
I’ve heard from others and appreciate the insight that hip recovery it seems in particular is not linear. I agree and you have to look at the trend of the dots in the plot map.

I won’t bog this thread down any more with my particulars, other to again say that recovering from a hip surgery as a cyclist is a good place to be. There are some remarkably fit and resilient athletes of both sexes in the Gunnison Valley and injuries can be inspiration to add effort and fitness context as we age.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
But stay on a bike. At 9 weeks following a major hip/femur fracture I’m riding my wife’s Peloton at top 15% of all outputs on a HIIT ride, which on a stationary bike most resembles punchy mountain bike climbing.

:yahoo:

RoninSkier

Getting off the lift
Skier
I find mountain biking to be an exceptional all around core and mobility fitness basis including management of general pain and flexibility. Other than the fact that I am currently quite present in the down and out thread, getting on the bike 3-4 times a week if possible is non-negotiable.

I ride all winter now and am looking at fat bikes to further increase that ability and range. The value is so high across the board that I put it above skiing now - at the time of my injury I was easily in the best overall condition of my life, which is key in injury recovery, and I’ve had varying degrees of back issues since I grew 7” at age 16.

It also feeds the downhill brain, which is essential :ogcool:. Skis to mountain bike, zero rust. 10/10 recommend.
Yep, on a MTB (& Rd bike) .... we stand on the outside peddle to rip a berm like we stand on the outside ski to rip a groomer..... drift our rear wheel to tighten the turn, like we smear or spivot a turn on skis...... angulate the bike with the handle bars, shift our bodys back & forth for the rooty bits, ditto on skis

Can get the same rush, practice body mechanics on bikes as on skis..... just have to pay for it more, need to climb to get to the top..... unless you are a sissy and ride the chair up on a ski hill MTB park - ;)

Don't Skip Leg Day

Getting off the lift
Skier
I mountain bike, surf, ski and do Judo. So, lots of opportunities for back injuries. The one piece of equipment that is an absolute must to cure back pain is called a reverse hyper. It was invented by powerlifter Louis Simmons (RIP). It is a miracle piece of equipment. You can buy one on the Westside Barbell or Rogue site.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
A lot of focus in this thread on back. I would suggest - constantly varied exercise. Core, focusing on the opposite of lower back. Try lunges then add some weight. On the bar, knees to elbows. Most importantly... joint mobility starting with the hip - this could be most helpful. Joint flexibility in one area can help other areas. Repetitive exercise such as bike is not the best way to go for recovery.

Some trainers could help you with this type of program. Interview the coach trying to evaluate knowledge of joint mobility. Then talk about flexibility. There is a difference. General strength and overall conditioning is where you will find the biggest benifit.

James

Out There
Instructor
I mountain bike, surf, ski and do Judo. So, lots of opportunities for back injuries. The one piece of equipment that is an absolute must to cure back pain is called a reverse hyper. It was invented by powerlifter Louis Simmons (RIP). It is a miracle piece of equipment. You can buy one on the Westside Barbell or Rogue site.

For some, using it like this would be better-

12DB2CF8-10C6-415D-ACA3-95686FC2F1DC.jpeg

Explanation-