• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

SkiNC

Ice skating at NC resorts
Skier
So I bought the pass and booked trips to SLC and Banff.
But I'm thinking about adding a super short (1-2 ski day) trip elsewhere. I'd be flying from Charlotte and looking for somewhere that I could possibly ski the same day, where the resort is super close and easy to get to from the airport and cheapish lodging can be found. Jackson hole is the only place I know of that somewhat fits the bill (except the cheapish loding from what I've found.)

Does anyone else have any other suggestions?

TS
S

SkiNC

Skier
If you stay in town cheapish lodging is generally available in Jackson. But it isn’t that easy to get to from the east coast...

True. There's some flights with a travel time of 6.5-7 hours which isn't great but isn't terrible. Not as good at the 4.5 nonstop to SLC!

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Definitely cheapish lodging in town and plenty of busses to get to and from the hill.

We are MCPers and are considering a 4-5 day trip to JH or maybe SLC between Christmas and New Year. Gonna wait it out until last minute and see what conditions are. May even stick around the NE if we get snow.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Squaw/Alpine Meadows. Fly into Reno, be skiing w/in hour.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
SLC would be the first thing that comes to mind, but you're already going. So I'll second Phil's suggestion for Squaw. I found it an easy drive to the Reno airport (in good weather - always a caveat in the winter). You get a lot of variety with Squaw and Alpine Meadows both being there and on the same ticket too.

Shuttles from Reno exist but aren't cheap if I recall. Might be more than renting a car. If you stay in the village you don't need a car once you're there. I had one, but parked it and didn't touch it until I left.

blah

Getting on the lift
Skier
Sun valley? Don't know how easy for you to fly into hailey, ID, though. But cheap room can be had at the Hailey airport inn ~$80/ night. Will need a car to drive to Ketchum 20 min away.

Aspen? Again don't know how easy to fly into Aspen airport. Don't need a car there, extensive public transportation. Airbnb lodging - minimum seems to be around $100/ night.

TonyC

Contact me at bestsnow.net
Pass Pulled
Aspen and then Jackson have the most direct flights into the resort town, and in both cases you can get by without a car. Jackson lodging in town is very reasonable in winter as noted above. You will have to change at a hub, but you probably have to do that for Reno too. At both Tahoe and SLC it's a good idea to have a car rental for flexibility unless you're actually staying on the mountain.

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
Sugarbush is an hour from Burlington airport, and the CLT-BTV flights are pretty quick. Definitely possible to fly out Friday evening, ski Saturday and Sunday, then fly back Sunday evening.

Or wait until after your SLC trip to commit... if you like Alta, Snowbird, and/or Snowbasin (and it's hard to imagine you wouldn't like any of them), then returning to Salt Lake might be called for, since you can fly nonstop, the resorts are close to the airport, and you can do it without a car if you want. Even with paying 50% for lift tickets, it might wind up being cheaper than the other alternatives out west.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
From NC, it's two hops, as I understand it, to virtually anywhere except Denver and (perhaps) SLC. So, if you are willing to consider JH, then you have a lot of other options with similar travel times. Like Steamboat, Aspen, Summit County or Winter Park, etc. So, the real questions are how much travel time are you willing to endure? What terrain do you want to ski? What attributes do you want in a resort for a 2 day trip?

Mike

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Sugarbush is an hour from Burlington airport, and the CLT-BTV flights are pretty quick. Definitely possible to fly out Friday evening, ski Saturday and Sunday, then fly back Sunday evening.

Or wait until after your SLC trip to commit... if you like Alta, Snowbird, and/or Snowbasin (and it's hard to imagine you wouldn't like any of them), then returning to Salt Lake might be called for, since you can fly nonstop, the resorts are close to the airport, and you can do it without a car if you want. Even with paying 50% for lift tickets, it might wind up being cheaper than the other alternatives out west.

Both of these are good suggestions esp if snow is good in VT when you are thinking of going, or if you don't use up all your free days in your first trip to UT. Even at 50% off UT might make sense since you're only skiing two days, that's only about $100 differential. Alternatively, it looks like there are direct flights from Charlotte to Sacramento. Squaw Valley area is about two hours from there, but cheap lodging is not as plentiful there as Salt Lake City and you'd have to rent a car.

TS
S

SkiNC

Skier
Thanks for all the tips. I'll look into these locations. I ski blues and greens. I can do blacks but I just like to cruise, nothing too crazy. I can get a rental car, just mainly looking for easy access from the airport without driving hours.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I think you would like Sun Valley. Pretty much long cruisers, the greens are a little steeper than anywhere else (more like blue runs at many resorts), the blues are almost all groomed and often not that much more challenging than the greens, and many of the black diamonds are groomed as well, though they can be fairly steep. Ungroomed runs can get pretty bumped up. What Sun Valley also has in consistent fall line runs, top to bottom, so you don’t end up being surprised by a major change in pitch or difficulty.

Ketchum is about the coolest ski town.

DCL

Booting up
Skier
From where I live I find Telluride really easy to get to. Nonstop flight into Montrose and then a relaxing 90 minute or so shuttle ride through some gorgeous country. The timing of the flights makes it hard to ski on your arrival day though.

DonC

Squeezing into my stabilyx tights
Skier
I have the pass and would love to visit JH, Aspen, Telluride or Squaw, but from the east coast those flights tend to be long/stopovers and relatively expensive compared to SLC. Also, I am not a huge fan of flying in turboprops on those last legs. Also, my schedule lends itself more to shorter 3 day trips than taking a week+ Still, even with six days in SLC and three in Sugarbush it was a good deal at the preseason price.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
compared to SLC.
While I'd love to convince you to come to Squaw/Alpine, and Mammoth, If you hit SLC you can hit Snowbird, Alta and Snowbasin to make it pay.....and, Jackson Hole is only a 4 hr drive from SLC, IIRC. @KingGrump has more experience with that than I do.

DonC

Squeezing into my stabilyx tights
Skier
While I'd love to convince you to come to Squaw/Alpine, and Mammoth, If you hit SLC you can hit Snowbird, Alta and Snowbasin to make it pay.....and, Jackson Hole is only a 4 hr drive from SLC, IIRC. @KingGrump has more experience with that than I do.

SLC is a definite as is the bush. Question is whether I can work in another destination. Flights to Calgary aren't bad price wise, then you get the favorable x-rate on lodging, so that might be a possibility. I don't have the ability to schedule a trip that takes up more than one week at a time so adding JH to SLC isn't a possibility.

Sponsor

Staff online