• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

TonyPlush

Out on the slopes
Skier
My first skiing experience was a never-ever group lesson at Keystone five years ago. As I've progressed, I find myself curious of what I could get out of a more advanced lesson.

What's been your experience with advanced ski lessons? And maybe more importantly, are there any mountains that have especially good deals on lessons?

The few places I've researched seem pretty expensive. But if there's gotta be a mountain somewhere that offers quality instruction, preferably with line skipping privileges at a reasonable price?

As a destination skier, it could make perfectly logical sense to alter my travel plans to find the best value on lessons.

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Second this request!

I've heard about Taos ski weeks. Any where else?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
No clue what's what in Minnesota these days, but back in the 70s Buck Hill had the best ski school in the region. Sometimes the small place has the best technical and most highly trained ski school personnel.

TS
TonyPlush

TonyPlush

Out on the slopes
Skier
One deal I've found:

Apparently this is a "limited time special" but Snowbasin offers all-day adult lessons for $139, and that price includes a lift ticket plus further discounts for multi-day lessons.

Since window rates for Snowbasin lift tickets are $109 and Liftopia rates are $77, you're getting a full day's lesson around $50 or less.

Not sure of the quality of the lessons or whether they offer line skipping privileges, but for somebody like me, that could be worth traveling to.

TS
TonyPlush

TonyPlush

Out on the slopes
Skier
Copper Mountain has some of the more reasonable rates I've found.

Level 2 and up group lessons for $188, and the price includes lift tickets. They also offers a "Bump Buster Camp" twice a year. 2 full days of mogul instruction for $369, which includes lift tickets.

In both cases, that's equal to a full day of instruction for about $80.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Tony:

I’d look for individual instructors. Ping me via P.M. I may be able to direct you.

Note that when I teach advanced lessons the first thing that I do is assess and diagnose for fundamentals. “Advanced” skiing is really about tactical choices, and it is assuming that you have mastery of the basics. And every thing in life boils down to mastery of the basics.

Enjoy.

Bob Simpson

Putting on skis
Skier
If your travels take you to Montana, Bridger Bowl has always had an excellent ski school. At one time, Bridger had 4 members of their ski school on the PSIA demo team. Their prices are great, and they can work on all aspects of skiing a mountain with a wide variety of terrain. The ski school regularly offers clinics on skiing from the ridge, aka extreme terrain, bumps, carving, and general improvement. As a destination, you can stay in Bozeman and also include Big Sky to try out your new found tips!
Good luck,
Bob

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
If you are looking at Taos book a day with Angle Fire's Ski School director. You would be hard pressed to find someone with his depth of knowledge in NM.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Group advanced lessons on a non-holiday weekday have been a great value for me at big name resorts. Group advanced lessons on a weekend have been typically mediocre for me - I suspect the best instructors are booked/reserved for privates on peak days. Lesson prices can also go down in off-peak times, i.e. springtime. So if you want a good impact in one day, I suggest the group advanced lesson at a non-peak time.

If you find a good instructor during one of these, consider booking a private with them.

I hear good things about multi-day camps. I've only done the Mahre 3 day camp at Deer Valley (which was excellent - I still do drills from it), so I can't speak to those in general. If I won the lotto, I would do more multi day ski camps. They take a lot of vacation time to pursue.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Group advanced lessons on a non-holiday weekday have been a great value for me at big name resorts. Group advanced lessons on a weekend have been typically mediocre for me - I suspect the best instructors are booked/reserved for privates on peak days. Lesson prices can also go down in off-peak times, i.e. springtime. So if you want a good impact in one day, I suggest the group advanced lesson at a non-peak time.

If you find a good instructor during one of these, consider booking a private with them.

I hear good things about multi-day camps. I've only done the Mahre 3 day camp at Deer Valley (which was excellent - I still do drills from it), so I can't speak to those in general. If I won the lotto, I would do more multi day ski camps. They take a lot of vacation time to pursue.

X2.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
We have a pretty awesome ski school at Aspen/Snowmass. That being said, it is like everywhere: the quality of the experience depends on the quality of the instructor and the match with the student. You can increase the odds of getting a good instructor by requesting someone who has been recommended to you by someone you trust. A less successful strategy is to request an instructor who is fully certified (Level 3) or is an examiner (Level 4 in Canada).

The quality and impact of group lessons also depends on the makeup of the group. Most US ski schools use a level system to identify the skiing ability of the group. At Snowmass, we also look to the commonality of issues in the group, as well as the desires, objectives, athletic ability, and age compatibility of the group. All that being said, you are going to get a much more tailored, and likely higher quality, product if you buy a private lesson.

Finally, once you find a fit with a ski pro, you will likely benefit from forming a long-term coaching relationship. This allows you and the coach to form short, medium, and long term progressions to affect your skiing. Such a relationship is likely to require private lessons.

Mike

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
One deal I've found:

Apparently this is a "limited time special" but Snowbasin offers all-day adult lessons for $139, and that price includes a lift ticket plus further discounts for multi-day lessons.

Since window rates for Snowbasin lift tickets are $109 and Liftopia rates are $77, you're getting a full day's lesson around $50 or less.

Not sure of the quality of the lessons or whether they offer line skipping privileges, but for somebody like me, that could be worth traveling to.
Booked my wife and I for a group lesson at Snowbasin. We've never had a chance to ski there and figured the price with a lesson is too good to pass up. Will post our experience after our lesson tomorrow.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
We have a pretty awesome ski school at Aspen/Snowmass. That being said, it is like everywhere: the quality of the experience depends on the quality of the instructor and the match with the student. You can increase the odds of getting a good instructor by requesting someone who has been recommended to you by someone you trust. A less successful strategy is to request an instructor who is fully certified (Level 3) or is an examiner (Level 4 in Canada).

The quality and impact of group lessons also depends on the makeup of the group. Most US ski schools use a level system to identify the skiing ability of the group. At Snowmass, we also look to the commonality of issues in the group, as well as the desires, objectives, athletic ability, and age compatibility of the group. All that being said, you are going to get a much more tailored, and likely higher quality, product if you buy a private lesson.

Finally, once you find a fit with a ski pro, you will likely benefit from forming a long-term coaching relationship. This allows you and the coach to form short, medium, and long term progressions to affect your skiing. Such a relationship is likely to require private lessons.

Mike

Ask for Jennifer Simpson or Charlie MacArthur at Aspen.

Mike's comment re, "A less successful strategy is to request an instructor who is fully certified (Level 3) or is an examiner (Level 4 in Canada)" is spot on. I've run across several L3 and above who are in the place of they like hearing their own voice and are really not that skilled at MA outside of a test situation. They may be very technically skilled skiers, but many lack the insight to take you through a progression that will lead to your breakthrough moment. In some cases I've taken clinics with DCLs and examiners where it was a waste of money and a waste of a day of my life.

If you chat with the ski school supervisor and let them know your goals they will hook you up with the most appropriate instructor for the tasks. Those supervisors want success stories. They want happy guests. They want the return business.

Best to you.

TS
TonyPlush

TonyPlush

Out on the slopes
Skier

Mike

Thanks for the insight, sounds like a great program. Does Aspen/Snowmass ever offer discounts or specials on the lesson price?

Booked my wife and I for a group lesson at Snowbasin. We've never had a chance to ski there and figured the price with a lesson is too good to pass up. Will post our experience after our lesson tomorrow.

Looking forward to hearing about it!

PhillyGuy

Booting up
Skier
I would also highly recommend Aspen for advanced lessons. I’ve only done the group at Ajax and I think most take private lessons so there’s a good chance you’ll have a group lesson to yourself. Last time my two friends and I all had our own ski pro for a group lesson price. I had an incredible day skiing and it gave me a window into what’s it like having a private lesson.

I prefer Ajax over some other big resorts because the Mountain is smaller. So you get more skiing and less traversing across the mountain.

I also really like the Vail ski school. Learned to ski there so have taken lots of lessons there from level 1-7. There are so so many people taking lessons there so they are able to do a really good job at matching you with people with the same goals and abilities. That said even higher level groups on a weekday can be really busy there. So expect a biggish group. I’ve always had fun there because I’m always in a highly motivated group and we ski all day.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I am surprised it took this log for Aspen to come up.

Sponsor

Staff online