• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mounting Bindings on a Budget

Frank Ricard

Booting up
Skier
Those look cool! I'm getting some!
I'll be surprised if you don't like them.

I have a noob question, which might fit well in this thread. What are your options if you buy a used ski and it's setup for a BSL and it's 7mm off... Let's say for a Pivot where you don't have the adjustment you need. I've been wondering this recently as I pick up some used skis with Pivots.

7mm/2 = 3.5mm, so if you keep the toe or heel piece mounted as is, odds are you won't ever notice 3.5mm in front of or behind the line. However my guess is you could run into two issues:
- Your mounting holes are too close to the previous ones (I assume there is a rule of thumb regarding this, but I don't know it)
- You might have trouble using your paper guides if you're only using half of it.

Thoughts / guidance?

Edit: I used 7mm as an example. Please insert a measurement that makes more sense if necessary!

Last edited:

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Pivots are kinda easy, if there is 0 chance boot can fit, there is enough room for moving at least 1 of the units.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I double-check the centerline using either my digital calipers or the Slidewright center finder template.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I'll be surprised if you don't like them.

I have a noob question, which might fit well in this thread. What are your options if you buy a used ski and it's setup for a BSL and it's 7mm off... Let's say for a Pivot where you don't have the adjustment you need. I've been wondering this recently as I pick up some used skis with Pivots.

7mm/2 = 3.5mm, so if you keep the toe or heel piece mounted as is, odds are you won't ever notice 3.5mm in front of or behind the line. However my guess is you could run into two issues:
- Your mounting holes are too close to the previous ones (I assume there is a rule of thumb regarding this, but I don't know it)
- You might have trouble using your paper guides if you're only using half of it.

Thoughts / guidance?

Edit: I used 7mm as an example. Please insert a measurement that makes more sense if necessary!

Rule of thumb for the new set of holes is to have at least 10mm between the edges of the holes. Have I broken that rule? Yes, but it depends on the ski construction as to whether you can trust having the holes closer together.

Frank Ricard

Booting up
Skier
Rule of thumb for the new set of holes is to have at least 10mm between the edges of the holes. Have I broken that rule? Yes, but it depends on the ski construction as to whether you can trust having the holes closer together.
Gotcha - so do you avoid getting skis setup for BSLs close to yours, or just always adjust the binding? What if you run out of adjustment?

Again sorry for the noob question.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Gotcha - so do you avoid getting skis setup for BSLs close to yours, or just always adjust the binding? What if you run out of adjustment?

Again sorry for the noob question.

The few times I've purchased skis that already had bindings they've usually been adjustable. Also I typically mount a plate and the plate patterns are usually nowhere near the binding holes (for the plates I use).

You're just going to have to decide on whether you want the bindings to be slightly forward or aft if you cannot safely get them exactly where you want them. Consult with a good ski shop and they'll get you setup.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
[Admin hat on] Mount own bindings at own risk. Bindings should also be ASTM tested to make sure they are function properly [/Admin hat on]

With that out of the way, a very thorough step by step proceedure but 1-2 mm off one way or the other, can let the binding prerelease in one direction and not in the other.

But the green bindings??? OMG. :duck:
I do a lot myself. This isn’t one of them. My most trusted shop mounts all of my bindings and does the release checks. My knees suck but I’d like to keep them as is.

AtleB

Out on the slopes
Skier
Your screwdriver is very nice sir.

The colormatch on boots vs topsheet is awesome, as is green.

I do feel using proper drillbit is also an option here, they are quite cheap and 100% on the depth.

I'm so cheap I just use the proper jigs and mount myself, with jigs its so fast.

Sadly here I have yet to see a shop test bindings they mount, even the higher end ones. I've asked for test (old bindings) and they are like.. ehh nooop.
Yea, never even heard of shops testing bindings around here..

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Top 10 reasons to mount your own f'n bindings...
1) Bindings are not indemnified
2) You don't have a good ski shop within 30 miles of your house
3) You're bored and want to tinker around :)
4) You're pretty much a ski tech yourself.
I guess that's about it..

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I double-check the centerline using either my digital calipers or the Slidewright center finder template.
The key is to center relative to the edges, not the topsheet. So you need some way to transfer from bottom to top. I use dial caliper (also known as a micrometer) and the slidewright printed guide.
In any case plug the old holes. Wood plugs are better than plastic if the new hole is close.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Top 10 reasons to mount your own f'n bindings...
1) Bindings are not indemnified
2) You don't have a good ski shop within 30 miles of your house
3) You're bored and want to tinker around :)
I guess that's about it..

For me, it's simply knowing that they'll be mounted correctly with all the necessary due diligence required. I ran into the old "fool me once, fool me twice" scenario, so many years ago I said to myself "never again".

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
For me, it's simply knowing that they'll be mounted correctly with all the necessary due diligence required. I ran into the old "fool me once, fool me twice" scenario, so many years ago I said to myself "never again".
That's this one, at least compared to the shop rats at your local..

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thank you for your guide! I wish there are more templates for junior skis. Every season, I have to get new junior skis. Many of them don't come with bindings installed.

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
For me it’s not cheapness - though I am cheap- it’s craft. If this is my hobby I want to know it intimately. I also like the tuning. I yearn to make skis. :). Some people just like to do.

And tbh I have seen botched shop work and bad advice. Though I hope that is rare.

motogreg

A liftie once told me I was an okay skier....
Skier
fwiw, in the last 3 years I've had 2 "good" ski shops screw up mounts on skis. I trust myself more than whatever fng is in charge of mounts in the back room.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm lucky, I've got a GREAT local shop again, but I once had an off-center mount on a new pair of powder skis, likely due to one missing rubber "foot" on the jig.

The error was tiny, and they were 115 mm powder skis. I couldn't notice while skiing, and the owner gave me 50% back in store credit, so everybody left disappointed, err happy!

Sponsor

Staff online