• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mounting Bindings on a Budget

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Hats off to @tomahawkins for showing me yet another way I can potentially wreck my skis lol. Joking aside I think going forward my plan B if I need a quick binding mount and the shop cannot accommodate me will be to drive to Bellingham and bribe @tomahawkins to mount the bindings for me :roflmao:

TS
T

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hats off to @tomahawkins for showing me yet another way I can potentially wreck my skis lol. Joking aside I think going forward my plan B if I need a quick binding mount and the shop cannot accommodate me will be to drive to Bellingham and bribe @tomahawkins to mount the bindings for me :roflmao:

Given the chance to drill holes in Stocklis, I'd do it for free. And you could hit up Baker and make a day of it. Speaking of which, it was awesome up there today. About 8" of fresh and stayed cold and light all day.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Given the chance to drill holes in Stöcklis, I'd do it for free. And you could hit up Baker and make a day of it. Speaking of which, it was awesome up there today. About 8" of fresh and stayed cold and light all day.
Drilling holes in Stocklis makes me think of Swiss Cheese .... let's start small with a pair of my kids skis lol

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Here's what I do instead of tape on a drill bit. Even with tape it can get away from you if you're not super careful.. Old carpenters trick here from the cabinet making days.. We used this trick to drill lines of shelf peg holes

1643679687053.png

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I bought some of the fun toys in your expensive self-mounting thread, but I agree they are not really needed. But what does that have to do with anything?

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
I fully admit I can be off by a couple of mm one way or another and also admit I'm not a skilled enough skier to notice. I do like to put a lot of thought into the for/aft mount point, fwiw.

@crgildart -- that hurts me to see, I probably have some extra stop-collars to share.

regardless, if you are not eager to do it, you shouldn't.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Personally, I think the correct drill bit with the built-in countersinking "collar" is worthwhile, but then we do start straying away from the budget concept......

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
@pipestem that isn't my drill in the photo. It is just a google search for the same concept. My DIY wooden bit stop is a little less brutal hahaha. But it's just to show folks that there are safer options than tape at hand..

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
the drillbit is CHEAP.
Ahh but you sometimes need different diameters for metal, wood, foam, Jr bindings, etc. So to do it properly on multiple different skis/bindings one bit probably isn't enough

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
universal is 4.1 then, but they are hardly more than a normal bit, and less than manual colar stuff.
a normal 4.1 or 3.6 isnt that cheap either.

I mount so much stuff I wear them out, maybe ask around skishops for older ones? at least 4,1s should be $0 used, as nobody bothers working on slow bits

TS
T

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was considering trying to put a dremmer tool grinder to a screw and including it in the guide. I got a far as placing a screw in a vice and contemplating how to attack it with a hand file, but then thought for a lot of skiers a vice is a luxury item.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
universal is 4.1 then, but they are hardly more than a normal bit, and less than manual colar stuff.
a normal 4.1 or 3.6 isnt that cheap either.

I mount so much stuff I wear them out, maybe ask around skishops for older ones? at least 4,1s should be $0 used, as nobody bothers working on slow bits
Ya but I had to mount a lot of kids skis too.. You'll blow though it with either of those..

TS
T

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I added template support for the Head/Tyrolia Freeflex ST race bindings. The template generator is smart enough to handle heel track placement with the center strip.

These might sway my binding loyalties: Lots of metal, good brake width options, dual cam design, full on race yet no race plate required. For those who haven't seen these, the heel binding is allowed to float fore/aft in the rear track as the ski flexes. Forward pressure is instead held in check by the center metal strip, isolating the rigid mount point to the front bindings. All the benefits of bindings with a short mounting distance -- actually, arguably more so.

IMG_7159.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online