• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mounting Bindings with Paper Templates

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Here's a slideshow outlining how I mount bindings with paper templates. I'm not a ski tech so don't take this as a definitive how-to; it's just a procedure that has worked well for me. There's always room for improvement, so if you have suggestions, please offer them up. I like the procedure because there is no measurement involved -- aside from marking the 9.5mm depth on the drill bits. I find it yields a high degree of accuracy: the printer is probably the greatest source of error in the process. As I go through the steps I'll add links to the various tools I find helpful.

If you are considering mounting your own bindings, please be aware of the risk you are undertaking. I recommend practicing several mounts on 2x4s before drilling into the real thing. It's also advisable to take the finished product into the shop for mount and setting verification.

I have used other available templates with success, but I decided to create my own, mostly for the fun of it, but also because I have found it difficult to cut templates to the right boot sole length (BSL) and join the templates together with good alignment. For this reason, I wrote a program to compute hole locations given a binding and BSL, while aligning the two pages is made easier with thin alignment marks that span the full page ensuring a straight template centerline. I also print two templates per set since center punching is destructive. The templates are available on my github. If you don't mind some Haskell programming you can also use the program to do things like compare holes locations of varying bindings, BSLs, and mount points, in case you are considering the optimal placement for a remount:

For this slideshow I'm mounting a pair of Marker Griffons set at 334mm BSL. Here is the corresponding template:

And here it is printed out. Be sure to check correct printer scaling:

IMG_4540.jpeg

First trim of the corners of one page right through the two alignment marks:

IMG_4543.jpeg

This allow one page to be aligned with the other:

IMG_4545.jpeg

When you're satisfied, carefully tape together, front and back:

IMG_4546.jpeg

The final template prep requires cutting see-through holes at the intersections of the centerlines and the midsole line. We also need to trim the ends so that the centerlines run right to the edge of the paper:

IMG_4547.jpeg

Now get some skis to mount. I came across a brand new pair of 2016 (?) Head Monster 88s still in plastic being sold out of a scuba shop in Tennessee.
(Dear Head, Please bring back the Monster, preferably with the classic non-hammerhead tip. It's one of the best of all time.)

IMG_4548.jpeg

Skis mark the suggested mount point in various ways. These Monsters had it on the sidewall:

IMG_4550.jpeg

Mark you desired mount point with masking tape. I put Xs on one edge so I don't confuse the right edge with the wrong:

IMG_4551.jpeg

Place the template on the skis with the mount point aligned with the midsole line, view through the holes:

IMG_4552.jpeg

IMG_4553.jpeg

Now place 3-4 layers of tape on the approximate ski centerline where the template edges land. The extra layers of tape prevent the marking gauge from cutting through and defacing your new pair of skis:

IMG_4554.jpeg

Mark on the tap where the template edge lands:

IMG_4555.jpeg

Using a marking gauge, find the center of the ski, repeatedly checking one side and then the other, closing in on the center. I recommend this marking gauge from Lee Valley Tools:

IMG_4557.jpeg

Once you have the center, mark the tape using both ski edges. If you have a short turn radius ski, this mark should look like an squashed X, which is okay. With these Monsters (184), it's pretty much a straight line:

IMG_4560.jpeg

Now align the template on the ski using the front centerline mark, the rear centerline mark, and the midsole / mount point mark:

IMG_4561.jpeg
IMG_4563.jpeg
IMG_4562.jpeg

Carefully tape the template to the ski. Tape down the see-through hole for better security:

IMG_4564.jpeg

Now it is time to center punch. I highly recommend getting an optical center punch: they provide good accuracy and they make you feel like a submarine captain peering through a periscope. I use this one by Fowler:

IMG_4567.jpeg

Target in sight:

IMG_4571.jpeg

Target acquired!

IMG_4572.jpeg

Fire! (Replace the optical eyepiece with the punch and wack it with a hammer.):

IMG_4573.jpeg

All marks punched:

IMG_4575.jpeg

Remove all the templates and tape:

IMG_4576.jpeg
IMG_4578.jpeg

Center punching is more than just marks. It dimples the surface allowing a drill bit to find the hole center without wandering. I use a 1/16" bit as a pilot hole:

IMG_4580.jpeg

The main bit is 5/32", which is just under the standard 4.1mm and still large enough to be tapped. Mark the correct depth on the bits with tape; in this case, 9.5 mm:

IMG_4581.jpeg

Until recently I have hand drilled the pilot and main holes. However, I just got this mini drill press to make the work easier. It's from Grizzly, but it is a Chinese make found under a number of different brands:

IMG_4583.jpeg

Set the correct depth for the pilot holes:

IMG_4584.jpeg

Drill the pilots. Unlike with a hand drill, I've found that the drill press takes more effort to get good alignment, but once you do, it's much easier to drill:

IMG_4585.jpeg

Next set the depth with the main bit and drill. If the ski can slide freely on the table surface, the main bit will automatically find and align with the pilot hole:

IMG_4588.jpeg

Holes drilled!

IMG_4590.jpeg

Hole tapping next. I use a tap from Binding Freedom and a long tap wrench from Starrett:

IMG_4593.jpeg

With holes tapped, mix and add epoxy:

IMG_4596.jpeg

And mount:

IMG_4597.jpeg
IMG_4599.jpeg

I felt a little bad pulling off this weathered sticker, thinking, is this the last new '16 Monster to be found in the wild?

IMG_4600.jpeg

Wait a few hours:

IMG_4602.jpeg

Then go ski! (My buddy with Mt Shuksan in the background. The newly mounted Monsters are on my feet.):

IMG_4603.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4565.jpeg
    IMG_4565.jpeg
    73.2 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_4591.jpeg
    IMG_4591.jpeg
    212.9 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_4592.jpeg
    IMG_4592.jpeg
    107.5 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I would like more info on the Veritas Marking Gauge. I don't quite get how this tool is used to determine the center line on the ski. I currently use my angle guide on each side of the ski to find the intersection point and mark that at multiple places down the length of the ski.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
Great write up!

I have been using paper and didn't know about the optical center punch and will add one.

Highly recommend getting proper binding drill bits from Tognar or some place, makes for one less thing to potentially go wrong.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Last edited:

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I use the micrometer
128625-6c8d483742a3ff01ff0c643e0486c8ad.jpg

to find the ski centerline. Put it on the base side -- it gives you simultaneous right angles on both edges. Find the center line between the uprights.
This symmetric ruler seems silly, but really is easier than a normal ruler:
sw-center-ruler_large.jpg

I didn't know about optical punches -- I have to get one of those!

That method is OK, but it lacks precision. I like using the intersection of the cross angles better than this center finder ruler. It's pretty much foolproof in providing a higher level of precision to build a center line down the length of the ski.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I didn't know about optical punches -- I have to get one of those!

A prick punch is accurate enough.

Follow the prick punch with a small countersink bit that comes to a sharp point to enlarge the prick punch indentation so the follow up drill bit doesn't walk.

A step drill bit is strongly suggested if hand drilling. Otherwise have ptex repair tools and material handy.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
A prick punch is accurate enough.

Follow the prick punch with a small countersink bit that comes to a sharp point to enlarge the prick punch indentation so the follow up drill bit doesn't walk.

A step drill bit is strongly suggested if hand drilling. Otherwise have ptex repair tools and material handy.

I use the the wood block on the drill bit trhrough the wood block to make a step out of regular bits. Been doing that way back to the cabinet making days of the 80s.. for shelf peg holes and stuff like that..

As for the paper templates. If I'm moving the same bindings from one pair of skis to another or new but same binding model pattern I have already on another pair I make a template using the holes in the old ski carefully marking the mid point and center L/R all the way down the heavy paper template I made. I haven't paid a shop to mount bindings since the early 1980s.. and I've never owned a jig. Only ski I've ever drilled through was a used kid ski that we didn't really care that much about anyway. Filled with p-tex and held just fine too..

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I am reporting this thread to the mods because it absolutely should be a sticky.

Last edited:
TS
T

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I would like more info on the Veritas Marking Gauge. I don't quite get how this tool is used to determine the center line on the ski.

Sure. A marking gauge is for scribing a parallel line to some reference edge. Most have a pin for scribing the line, this one has a sharp disc:

IMG_4607.jpeg
IMG_4608.jpeg

There are two adjustments: the coarse adjustment slides the shaft:

IMG_4610.jpeg
IMG_4611.jpeg

And the knob at the end provides fine adjustments:

IMG_4612.jpeg

With several layers of tape on the ski (the scribing disc will easily cut through 3) and a pencil mark at the approximate location of the template, take your best guess at the center of the ski and lightly press down on the gauge to mark the tape:

IMG_4613.jpeg
IMG_4614.jpeg

Keeping the adjustment fixed, mark the tape using the other edge of the ski:

IMG_4615.jpeg

IMG_4616.jpeg

With the two marks on the tape, repeat the process. At this point, the fine adjustment knob is probably all you need. After 2 or 3 iterations, you will quickly reach sub-millimeter accuracy.

IMG_4618.jpeg

Now with the gauge set, put down a fresh layer of tape to hide the marks and scribe a line using one edge:

IMG_4619.jpeg

And then the other:

IMG_4620.jpeg

With a low radius ski like this SL (because the ski edges are not parallel), you will end up with a squashed X:

IMG_4621.jpeg

Center finding with no measuring. It's a great little tool.

IMG_4622.jpeg

Last edited:

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Readily available from multiple vendors;
out of stock at Slidewright :( - he used to have a good deal on a pair of bits with both diameters
Tognar
Utah Ski Gear
http://www.race-werks.com/svst-binding-drill-bits/

etc, etc, etc
Newbie question. Apologies to those who might think the answer obvious. "You're welcome" to the other clueless Pugs.

There is all this talk about exactly how deep to drill the hole. The step bits make this idiot-proof, assuming you pick the right bit. But what about the screws? Bindings, in my experience, only come with one set of screws.

Say you have a ski that's thinner than normal. (And yes, I mean thinner, not narrower.) Obviously your hole needs to be shallow enough not to intrude on the base. But there you are with the same old screws. Is the assumption that if you are mounting bindings at all, you are going to have little drawers full of mounting screws of the right head type, diameter, and thread, with several different lengths?

To put it a different way, can I trust the screws that come with the bindings are not too long? Obviously I can put a screw though the binding mount plate and hold that assembly next to the ski's sidewall and see if it's CRAZY too long, but what is PRACTICALLY too long?

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Newbie question. Apologies to those who might think the answer obvious. "You're welcome" to the other clueless Pugs.

There is all this talk about exactly how deep to drill the hole. The step bits make this idiot-proof, assuming you pick the right bit. But what about the screws? Bindings, in my experience, only come with one set of screws.

Say you have a ski that's thinner than normal. (And yes, I mean thinner, not narrower.) Obviously your hole needs to be shallow enough not to intrude on the base. But there you are with the same old screws. Is the assumption that if you are mounting bindings at all, you are going to have little drawers full of mounting screws of the right head type, diameter, and thread, with several different lengths?

To put it a different way, can I trust the screws that come with the bindings are not too long? Obviously I can put a screw though the binding mount plate and hold that assembly next to the ski's sidewall and see if it's CRAZY too long, but what is PRACTICALLY too long?
Coda: And what about those annoying receded spots in the base that you can see when scraping, that are obviously aligned with the mounting screws? (I am talking about mounts performed by shops, btw, not my own.) I hate that. Are they avoidable? If so, how? Or does it even matter?

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier

I've only ever run into this with kids skis... Oh yeah, you're basically on kids skis, right? ;) :roflmao:

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Coda: And what about those annoying receded spots in the base that you can see when scraping, that are obviously aligned with the mounting screws? (I am talking about mounts performed by shops, btw, not my own.) I hate that. Are they avoidable? If so, how? Or does it even matter?

This can happen depending on the core construction and how zealous you get with cranking down the screws. I've found that the easiest way to resolve the matter is a stone grind to flatten the base.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Bumps in the base will happen if you dont drill deep enough, example, use a children 7mm children instead of 9.5mm adult bit, then just screwing in.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier

Some bindings come with lift and longer screws. If you want to mount them flat and have the proper AFDs to do so. your screws will still be way too long. Probably best to use a shop bench grinder to make them shorter if you can't get shorter screws. .. same goes for thinner skis if the screws are a little too long.

oldfashoned

Out on the slopes
Skier
^^^ yes, just grind the screws down. Had to do this mounting Salomon STH on the Kastle LX92 with drill depth of 7.5mm.
@Tony S your asking the right questions.
In fact this is what got me mounting my own bindings when i took those ski to the shop to be mounded and asked about the drill depth and what screws they were going to use ( as a test to see if they were paying attention). After lots of hand waving and saying they were going to have to request new screws from Salomon, I grabbed my skis and exited the shop!

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Had to do this mounting Salomon STH on the Kästle LX92 with drill depth of 7.5mm.
This is exactly what I was thinking about. I remember a pair of Kästles that I bought in the shrink wrap having a dire warning about drill depth. It stands to reason that if you have to drill a shallower hole you have to use a shorter screw.

Sponsor