• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mt Bachelor being sued over death of 9yr old

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Moved post about skiing - sport or recreation?

slowrider

Trencher
Skier

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Might see banning people skiing in icy conditions; might see banning children from taking lifts that serve non beginner slopes. I mean just look at the newly regulated gas cans.

For what it’s worth, this season, after multiple, yes, multiple, unrelated long sliding falls that led to deaths and serious injuries, Palisades and Alpine Meadows did not open certain zones/runs.

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
In today's paper.

Photo of conditions looks scary. If this was visible prior to riding up the chair, might hurt the case.

Any opinion on likelihood of success of this lawsuit?

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
The photo is staged. Icy patch in the parking lot area. There're some statements from the father that don't make sense. "During the slide, the lawsuit states, the boy’s skis, helmet and articles of clothing were ripped off as he “slid to the bottom of the run without stopping.” To me the helmet wasn't secured correctly. IDK it will be hard to prove a lift op said it's not icy.
20131224_111626.jpg
This is the bottom of Summit on an icy day. Sharp edges and a light touch.

Last edited:

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
If there's ice on Summit, you will see it and hear it from other skiers coming down Beverly Hills as you are riding up the lift. If it was indeed hazardous that should have been their first clue. I wonder if anyone that day decided to download once they got to the top. Or if there were several other skiers who similarly lost control.

It doesn't say where they were from the Summit. I can only assume they were trying to stay on the groomed blue runs (if they were heading to the backside bowls, Cirque or Cow's Face that would have been nuts). Beverly Hills and Wanoga Way are usually groomed, and often Healy is as well. For the most part the rocks are off to the side of the run for Beverly Hills, but Healy and Wanoga can zig-zag around a bit, so I could see starting on a groomed run, slipping and falling and going off the groom into the rougher but still frozen off-piste (which could account for being thrown around a bit).

Still really sad. I hope we find out more and can learn from it.

blue

Putting on skis
Skier
Photo of conditions looks scary. If this was visible prior to riding up the chair, might hurt the case.

Any opinion on likelihood of success of this lawsuit?
Boy wait until they hear that European ungroomed runs aren’t avalanche controlled.

blue

Putting on skis
Skier
For what it’s worth, this season, after multiple, yes, multiple, unrelated long sliding falls that led to deaths and serious injuries, Palisades and Alpine Meadows did not open certain zones/runs.
People should know that skiing can be a dangerous sport. However, I think if a slope where falling anywhere can lead to uncontrollable slide into rocks causing high likelihood of death, then it probably should be marked beyond double black.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
then it probably should be marked beyond double black.
I don't want to get too off topic, but that is exactly what double black can mean, IMO. There are a lot of those slopes, especially if you're unfamiliar or don't know how to self arrest. Slope ratings are not universal, and generally (though not elways) double black will be the most difficult rating.

A lot of places will add "Expert terrain" or "Experts only" or "Cliffs" to indicate real "don't fall" areas, but if you're going into double black terrain, you should already be careful and realize there could be consequences and know what you're doing and getting into.

The only place I can think of that's decided to use something beyond double black is Big Sky, which has marked some runs triple black. The problem with that is the relativity of slope ratings being only applicable at that resort - what's a triple black, why this run and not that one, etc. I think current ratings and markings are plenty.

Meanwhile, Palisades and a few other places go the other way, and just mark all black terrain as single black, with some other "experts" or "cliffs" signs for particular places/runs.

TS
silverback

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
Does Taos still have those signs instructing people hope to self arrest? This skill is unknown to so many.

Last season I assisted a larger number than usual from difficult situations. (Including digging out a completely buried woman who likely would have expired had I not seen her fall into a creek ravine) Several were over their heads on icy slopes. The first thing I ask is “do you know how to self arrest?”. They never do. Often they were, or were about to, talking their skis off to try to walk down!

If it is really icy, there are multiple places on blue runs at most resorts I ski where a slide on the ice could be deadly.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
People should know that skiing can be a dangerous sport. However, I think if a slope where falling anywhere can lead to uncontrollable slide into rocks causing high likelihood of death, then it probably should be marked beyond double black.

If that is your desired definition of a beyond double black then most blue groomer with a kink or turn in it can qualify.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Does Taos still have those signs instructing people hope to self arrest? This skill is unknown to so many.

Last season I assisted a larger number than usual from difficult situations. (Including digging out a completely buried woman who likely would have expired had I not seen her fall into a creek ravine) Several were over their heads on icy slopes. The first thing I ask is “do you know how to self arrest?”. They never do. Often they were, or were about to, talking their skis off to try to walk down!

If it is really icy, there are multiple places on blue runs at most resorts I ski where a slide on the ice could be deadly.

Yup, Slim's office is right off chair #2.

1660054025239.jpeg

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
If there's ice on Summit, you will see it and hear it from other skiers coming down
This is something everyone should be doing on the lift ride up, assuming the lift is over a run. Lots if times we've said, "oh, that doesn't sound as good as it looks".

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
This is something everyone should be doing on the lift ride up, assuming the lift is over a run. Lots if times we've said, "oh, that doesn't sound as good as it looks".

2017 W/B. Riding up the Excalibur quad early morning with 2 random women skier. One women said, "Why does the snow sound so icy?" My reply was, "Because it is icy."
Thought she was gonna push me off the chair.

Definitely a good use of idle time during the lift ride to check out the conditions.

James

Out There
Instructor
If that is your desired definition of a beyond double black then most blue groomer with a kink or turn in it can qualify.
Most deaths do occur on blues, generally involving trees.
I suppose they could net off every run. :geek:Then people would just go faster. Hit it at the right angle and size person, you’re probably going over at speed.

Sponsor

Staff online