• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada Mt. Rose is already offering their "Double Down Pass"

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Looks like 20-21 Rose pricing is on par with 19-20 Ikon and Epic passes. This gives real pause for re-upping for Rose again. I like Rose, a lot; it feels like home after 5-6 years. But, the area isn't as large as the two others and the pass is limited to just one resort.

Given my family's abilities, strongly considering joining @textrovert at Diamond Peak.
Anyone want to talk me into going to Sugar Bowl or Sierra at Tahoe? If need be, send a PM.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Looks like 20-21 Rose pricing is on par with 19-20 Ikon and Epic passes. This gives real pause for re-upping for Rose again. I like Rose, a lot; it feels like home after 5-6 years. But, the area isn't as large as the two others and the pass is limited to just one resort.

Given my family's abilities, strongly considering joining @textrovert at Diamond Peak.
Anyone want to talk me into going to Sugar Bowl or Sierra at Tahoe? If need be, send a PM.
If I recall correctly, I think that price is higher than when you buy it closer to next season after this one is over. This deal is great for those who don't currently hold a Rose pass. If you have one, it is kind of doubling.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If I recall correctly, I think that price is higher than when you buy it closer to next season after this one is over. This deal is great for those who don't currently hold a Rose pass. If you have one, it is kind of doubling.
Yes, the spring price sale is the best time to get next year's season pass with remainder of this season's privileges. That's how I done it since 2012. It's been true since then, and it's been my habit to execute this spring deal.

Again, my point is Rose's spring price is now on par with Ikon and Epic/Tahoe. The obvious value proposition is no longer obvious. Don't see how it you're an existing pass holder or not this makes much of a difference.

We can agree to disagree.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, the spring price sale is the best time to get next year's season pass with remainder of this season's privileges. That's how I done it since 2012. It's been true since then, and it's been my habit to execute this spring deal.

Again, my point is Rose's spring price is now on par with Ikon and Epic/Tahoe. The obvious value proposition is no longer obvious. Don't see how it you're an existing pass holder or not this makes much of a difference.

We can agree to disagree.
I agree it's on par for this spring deal. What I was getting at is if you have a current Rose pass you don't need to get this deal because you'll be skiing the season out on your current pass. The price drops before the next season starts. Not a lot, but maybe $100. I can't recall what I paid for the 19-20 season. I did take advantage during the 16-17 season when N☆ closed early and Rose went into May. That pass was good for 17-18 too.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The price drops before the next season starts. Not a lot, but maybe $100. I can't recall what I paid for the 19-20 season
I didn't want to get into specifics, but...

The Rose premier adult price 19-20 was around 645-695. Previous season 18-19 was around 430. Prior years was less and so on. 2+ years ago, the ratio was about 55% of Epic/Ikon. Now, it's on par.
Yes, there used to be a slight reduced price in mid-March/April, but my memory says it didn't happen last year nor the year prior.

For me, it'll be a 150% increase in 3 years, for the same service.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
I agree it's on par for this spring deal. What I was getting at is if you have a current Rose pass you don't need to get this deal because you'll be skiing the season out on your current pass. The price drops before the next season starts. Not a lot, but maybe $100. I can't recall what I paid for the 19-20 season. I did take advantage during the 16-17 season when N☆ closed early and Rose went into May. That pass was good for 17-18 too.
On par or 30% more? I paid $589 for my Tahoe Local Pass which gives me 7 day a week access to Heavenly, Kirkwood and Northstar except for holiday blackouts. Even if that goes up $20 which has been typical annual increase, the equivalent Mt Rose pass at $795 is 30% more. Edited to add that Tahoe Local Pass also includes 5 days (total, blacked out on holidays) at Vail's CO and UT resorts.

Yes Mt Rose pass is valid for the rest of this year and next, but that may not do you a lot of good if you already have other pass(es). And while Rose stayed open late in 16-17, last year when they could have stayed open much later, they closed in April.

While Rose price is closer to Ikon Base, it's still $166 more (26%) than the $629 I paid for renewal and was available to others with code. And while I'm comparing Rose rest of this year plus next year to Ikon this year, with Ikon you get season pass for Squalpine and Mammoth and at least 5 days at a lot of other top-tier ski areas in many states and some provinces.

For skiers living in Reno, the Rose pass is nearly mandatory. But for those who live in Truckee or Tahoe City, it's a tougher decision. And for the Bay Area weekend warriors who don't have access to a private plane and can leave a car at RNO, it seems like a lot of extra driving for a place that often is affected by wind or poor visibility.

Last edited:

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I didn't want to get into specifics, but...

The Rose premier adult price 19-20 was around 645-695. Previous season 18-19 was around 430. Prior years was less and so on. 2+ years ago, the ratio was about 55% of Epic/Ikon. Now, it's on par.
Yes, there used to be a slight reduced price in mid-March/April, but my memory says it didn't happen last year nor the year prior.

For me, it'll be a 150% increase in 3 years, for the same service.
It's definitely going up. I remember when it was $199 for locals, then $299, et cetera.

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
Yes, everything is up..
The biggest steal I ever got was 2012-13 season. Sierra Unlimited pass for $249!! 7 days a week, no blackouts, and included few days at Squaw. Amazing. :D

I switched from the Tahoe Local passes to just Squaw/Alpine 4 seasons ago. Stayed with it when it switched to Ikon... but this season, I held off on the Ikon renewal and am planning to pick it up again in April for some spring skiing at Squaw/Alpine this season.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Going to start a rumor.... Just had a dream (nightmare?)... What if Rose became IKon? Then this price makes sense.... I'm on both sides of the fence should this happen. The good: I have more access (Squapine) for a little price bump. The bad: in a dry year, IKon will flood Rose for the better snow.

Can I eat my cake and keep it too?

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor

Yes

For skiers living in Reno, the Rose pass is nearly mandatory. But for those who live in Truckee or Tahoe City, it's a tougher decision. And for the Bay Area weekend warriors who don't have access to a private plane and can leave a car at RNO, it seems like a lot of extra driving for a place that often is affected by wind or poor visibility.

And Yes.

Like @Plai , I feel like Rose is my second home in the mountains. But it might be pricing me out. I live in the Bay Area and most of my skiing is out of day trips. If I don't renew this year, next year will be the first since I started skiing 5 years ago, that I don't visit Rose. It will hit home. I'll see what the prices are in April. I think it would be smart for Rose to have incentives for pass-holders renewing early, but whatever decision they make, I love them. No other pace makes me feel like a belong like Rose does.

Paul, to your question, I did SB a couple seasons. It's a really nice mountain, but I feel like they open late and close early with plenty of snow still around, so I'll be considering other options to supplement my Ikon base. But if you do go there, you'll love crow's nest :D Beautiful chair. I didn't feel like the drive is much shorter than Squawlpine, though, door to door, from the Bay. I think it's about 15 minutes.

I'll keep an eye for alternatives, maybe open a thread late in the season, comparing options, particularly to address the Holidays.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
New prices as of today. 795 for premier (unlimited). Hoping I'm wrong about Rose'r price intentions.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
One I will say for Rose, is they are one of few mountains that does not shut off pass prices. Where some resorts stop selling passes by a certain date and if you don't get one by then you are SOL. Rose keeps them going.

Last edited by a moderator:
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Like @Plai , I feel like Rose is my second home in the mountains. But it might be pricing me out. I live in the Bay Area and most of my skiing is out of day trips. If I don't renew this year, next year will be the first since I started skiing 5 years ago, that I don't visit Rose. It will hit home. I'll see what the prices are in April. I think it would be smart for Rose to have incentives for pass-holders renewing early, but whatever decision they make, I love them. No other pace makes me feel like a belong like Rose does.

I'll keep an eye for alternatives, maybe open a thread late in the season, comparing options, particularly to address the Holidays.
Plus the food is reasonable...and GOOD! :drool:

Think about if Rose becomes iKon, while we might save $6-800/year...will we lose that much in skiing experience? Already on a powder day (remember those ;) ) , a Thurs in March is as busy at Rose as any holiday day, how much busier will that be if there are Ikon skiers there? Will Ikon be 5-7 days a ear or full access? If 5-7 days, would the Slide side be just for Rose passes only? Will there still be a Rose only pass? If so, because they will have monely coming in from Ikon, could that pass drop back down a few hundred dollars?

Remember too, Rose has a huge expansion going on the other side of the road soon, plus they are going to do a huge renevation to the Winter Creak Lodge, so forget my question if they would lower the pass price if they become Ikon. Rose is a throwback, it is a ski area, verses a ski resort. But for how long?

marjoram_sage

newly addicted to skiing
Skier
Looks like Rose has released pass prices. It's nice to see that they haven't increased the prices from last season.

As much as I liked skiing Rose this year, I won't be renewing because of their kids lesson policy of not taking anybody less than 6 years on chair lift. My daughter's birthday is in April so she will be close to 6 next season but they still won't put her on the chair lift. Tahoe is an expensive place for kids lessons. Most places are close to $200 a day unless you want to go to the hills with very low vertical.

So we will probably start skiing Rose again in a couple of years.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The pass prices went lower a few days ago, especially for on-line renewals before May 20th. Just paid 469 (adult) and 199 (child) renewals. Don't remember the newbie pass rates.

Now, if they would answer my email/voicemail to complete a couple more passes for me.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Mt. Rose just announced this. Full refund or full credit for 21-22 if not used by 12/15.

Sponsor

Staff online