• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

MTB Destinations

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
What do you think of as worthy destinations for an MTB trip. I live right in the middle of one, but it doesn't take away the desire to go to other places. I've really enjoyed the area around Quebec City and have been missing it since Covid. I've only ridden Valle Bras du Nord, but the area includes much more like Sentiers du Moulin, Empire47, Mt St Anne and Massif. You can easily spend a week up there traveling around and sampling the goods.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
As I have posted, I have been doing a lot of trail work on our local trails and we have been talking about how far Reno/Tahoe has come as far as trying to become a mountain bike destination.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So many places.

I've been and enjoyed:

Moab
Gooseberry Mesa, et. al.
Whistler (lots of rugged xc riding)
McCall ID
Fruita
Bend OR (now ridiculously crowded IMO)
Oakridge OR (so good)

Planning to Ride:

Quebec (really want to do the Quebec Single Track Experience, but what a drive)
Michigan's UP
Duluth MN (zero miles of trail when I lived there aeons ago, a billion now)
Crosby Lakes MN
Arkansas (two weeks just north of Bentonville already booked for next year's mud season)

And I know I've missed a bunch!

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As I have posted, I have been doing a lot of trail work on our local trails and we have been talking about how far Reno/Tahoe has come as far as trying to become a mountain bike destination.
Tahoe already is a mountain bike destination. I know people who live in Tahoe area who go to Reno in the winter to get on their mountain bikes, but i don’t think many who live further away would consider it as a mountain bike “destination.” Maybe once your trails are built!

scott43

Skier
If you're in Ontario, it worth a trip to Kelso or Hardwood Hills...

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
Nova Scotia? I met some pretty avid Nova Scotians riding in New Brunswick. I’d go to Newfoundland first though!

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Am I super strange for actually wanting to check out NS?
Are you talking about Northstar? Some people love it. I don’t do that type of riding, so I have no idea. Some love the little fake village too, and I think that’s one of the reasons it’s a vacation destination. Also, it’s close to Lake Tahoe, which is an amazing lake. Just don’t go in the summer. Way too crowded.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I hear there is some amzing riding in Arkansas in the lower Ozarks.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
but i don’t think many who live further away would consider it as a mountain bike “destination.” Maybe once your trails are built!
Again,I didn't say it was now, but it's what they are working towards.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
I’ve been working in south west Utah on trails for the last two years now. I think the region holds up to just about anywhere.

The Whistler/Squamish/Pemberton/North Shore combination is probably the best of the best imho but that area is definitely more about steep, technical descending.

Another best imho would be the San Juan’s and Elks in Colorado. Durango, Monarch Pass, Created Butte, Aspen, Salida etc.

Last edited:

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We aren't into anything super techy.

Our go-to destination riding in VT is Kingdom Trails which is mostly smooth and flowy. Are there other places in the NE similar? Almost all our local trails are rocky, rooty and places we ride in New Hampshire are as well with more, bigger hills.

Nova Scotia sounds intriguing. (didn't want to use the word interesting - see words thread)

We have been wanting to check out Asheville, NC.

Durango is great. We only rode the Horse Gulch trails
Moab is great. We mostly road up at higher altitudes due to it being over 100 degrees in the desert.

Tell you what though. We find fun trails pretty much anywhere we go that we bring our bikes. For example we happened to be in Sussex County, NJ for a weekend and brought our bikes. State park contained a few gravel rail trails that had miles of twisty turny single track loops to explore. Whitefish, MT has a pretty great trail system right outside of town.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We also enjoyed the riding this spring in Prescott, but were surprised and dismayed at the "crush" of Prescott and Sedona.

We had hoped to get up north a bit and ride the new Hart Trail with @raisingarizona, but fires in the area put the kibosh on that idea. :(

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
I’ve been working in south west Utah on trails for the last two years now. I think the region holds up to just about anywhere.

The Whistler/Squamish/Pemberton/North Shore combination is probably the best of the best imho but that area is definitely more about steep, technical descending.

Another best imho would be the San Juan’s and Elks in Colorado. Durango, Monarch Pass, Created Butte, Aspen, Salida etc.
I'd love to hear more about that. Went on a quick trip to AZ this spring and I gotta say Tuba City looked like huge potential for MTB. Does it exist there? Are you sort of in the same area?

Sedona looked amazing, but it also looked like proof that yes you can love something to death.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
We also enjoyed the riding this spring in Prescott, but were surprised and dismayed at the "crush" of Prescott and Sedona.

We had hoped to get up north a bit and ride the new Hart Trail with @raisingarizona, but fires in the area put the kibosh on that idea. :(
Yup. I haven’t been down to Sedona to ride in over a year and a half now. It’s regarded as one of the worlds best mountain bike destinations and is 40 minutes out my door but I’ve lost interest with the crowds these days.

Up in Utah Im building and riding in a spot thats virtually unknown. For me it’s a hard to beat experience. Honestly though, im more into building than just riding these days. It gives me that buzz and creative outlet.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Up in Utah Im building and riding in a spot thats virtually unknown. For me it’s a hard to beat experience. Honestly though, im more into building than just riding these days. It gives me that buzz and creative outlet.

Sounds cool. I used to ride with a couple pioneers of the Gooseberry/Little Creek areas -- the Harris twins -- but haven't been back down there now in way too many years.

Care to share more details about where you're building?

Sponsor

Staff online