• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

MTB Destinations

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
No desire to travel to mtn bike. 300 miles of dedicated single track out my door. Hundreds more when FS rds and ORV trails are factored in. Sitting at the edge of 1.8 million acres of NF.

If I go 10 miles south I am in desert 20 miles north I am in alpine.

We have the higher per capita population of world champions, Olympians, WC rides and national champions in the country.

City and county are huge supporters of cycling, and discussions on those CIPs occupy a good percentage of meetings.

Ran into 5 others (and 2 canines) in 2.5 hours of riding yesterday.

Last edited:

splitter

Out on the slopes
Skier
Our go-to destination riding in VT is Kingdom Trails which is mostly smooth and flowy.

Like @martyg I feel pretty lucky to live in an area with lots of high quality riding. The Tahoe area is so big, just going to different quadrants of the lake can yield so many different rides, types of trails, and types of dirt.

Add in Downieville/Quincy/Lost Sierra and even Nevada City, and there is a lot of variety and times of year to ride. I did more days in the saddle than on the skintrack this past season.

But currently I’m on the Amtrak from NYC to Rhode Island. I’ll probably get a ride in there this afternoon with my BIL before heading up to the NorthEast Kingdom and riding the Kingdom Trails for four days. And I’m stoked to do it. Would I fly out here specifically for Kingdom Trails? Not sure but probably not. But to make it a family get together? Absolutely! And maybe I’m wrong.

My other BIL lives a hop, skip, and a jump to Bentonville. Same deal, probably wouldn’t travel to Arkansas on purpose (I was born in Missouri and spent half my childhood in Kansas), but a weekend added to the trip for a rip around the WalMart trails would be awesome.

@Crank Any recommendations for food, trails, or otherwise? Our place is really close to Moosehaven. Moose Alley (and Moose Deuce), Black Bear, Stormin’ Norman, Kitchel, Sidewinder, Jaw, and Bear Back are on the obvious shortlist. Plus some others at the ski hill (The J-Bars, Jester, Enchanted Forest, Rude Awakening).

Is Victory Hill worth the pedal?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
No desire to travel to mtn bike. 300 miles of dedicated single track out my door. Hundreds more when FS rds and ORV trails are factored in. Sitting at the edge of 1.8 million acres of NF.

I've ridden Durango, and it's great, but this still is a sad approach to mtb variety.

l mean, you're just a quick nip to Phil's World and not much further to Moab, right?

We have the higher per capita population of world champions, Olympians, WC rides and national champions in the country.

I think you may have mentioned this a time or two. ;)

Not sure how it affects your mtb experience, though?

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Like @martyg I feel pretty lucky to live in an area with lots of high quality riding. The Tahoe area is so big, just going to different quadrants of the lake can yield so many different rides, types of trails, and types of dirt.

Add in Downieville/Quincy/Lost Sierra and even Nevada City, and there is a lot of variety and times of year to ride. I did more days in the saddle than on the skintrack this past season.

But currently I’m on the Amtrak from NYC to Rhode Island. I’ll probably get a ride in there this afternoon with my BIL before heading up to the NorthEast Kingdom and riding the Kingdom Trails for four days. And I’m stoked to do it. Would I fly out here specifically for Kingdom Trails? Not sure but probably not. But to make it a family get together? Absolutely! And maybe I’m wrong.

My other BIL lives a hop, skip, and a jump to Bentonville. Same deal, probably wouldn’t travel to Arkansas on purpose (I was born in Missouri and spent half my childhood in Kansas), but a weekend added to the trip for a rip around the WalMart trails would be awesome.

@Crank Any recommendations for food, trails, or otherwise? Our place is really close to Moosehaven. Moose Alley (and Moose Deuce), Black Bear, Stormin’ Norman, Kitchel, Sidewinder, Jaw, and Bear Back are on the obvious shortlist. Plus some others at the ski hill (The J-Bars, Jester, Enchanted Forest, Rude Awakening).

Victory is very much worth it. Check their Facebook page and be sure they are open. Stop at Carols house and sign a waiver!

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
I've ridden Durango, and it's great, but this still is a sad approach to mtb variety.

l mean, you're just a quick nip to Phil's World and not much further to Moab, right?

I think you may have mentioned this a time or two. ;)

Not sure how it affects your mtb experience, though?

Why would I go to Phil’s or Moab? I have flowing singletrack, slickrock, arches, epic multi-days and above timberline riding here. I’ve ridden DGO to Moab, so I have seen a piece of what is in between ( the ONLY thing Moab has for me is WW kayaking in Cat - the DGO to Telluride section is pretty spectacular though).

That world class talent translates into world class coaching, and raises the bar for all riders. Having had those athletes as part of city or FLC initiatives that I am a part of, or chaired, it provides an incredible brain trust to draw from.

Why is it significant that those athletes live here? The same reason that many brands have top management living in Durango and working remotely: exceptional and diverse riding. They could live anywhere in the world. They choose to be here.

If you came here for a week or two and think that you know the riding and community here, you don’t. I’ve lived here 7 years now and am just peeling the first layer back.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Why would I go to Phil’s or Moab?

Road trip, baby!!!

At least for me, it is a joy to load up the van with my wife, our dog, and our toys, and get away for awhile.

And it's a joy to return! :ogbiggrin:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Gimme any excuse to escape the daily grind!!

Yup, I love where we live, and the opportunities it offers, and our home.

But it's nice to come back to road trip lodgings at the end of a fun day and not have any form of a To-Do List waiting!

Even though I also generally enjoy those projects....

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Road trip, baby!!!

At least for me, it is a joy to load up the van with my wife, our dog, and our toys, and get away for awhile.

And it's a joy to return! :ogbiggrin:

Having traveled extensively to virtually every ski town in the US, and commuting between one of my offices in Hangzhou, China and the Seattle area for 10 years…I am pretty much done.

My last trip was a month of heli skiing in Iceland this last April. Coming back to 7,500’ sucked. Elevation will definitely be one my new metrics when selecting destinations.

We pretty much live in paradise. Nothing to get away from. Iceland was one of the few places in the world that was exceptional, and deserves a return trip. Although not for a month this time.

Enjoy!

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Having traveled extensively to virtually every ski town in the US, and commuting between one of my offices in Hangzhou, China and the Seattle area for 10 years…I am pretty much done.

I hear you there. At one point in my career, I logged between 125,000 and 150,000 airline miles per year for 7 or 8 years. I still HATE airline travel -- though it was a lot more enjoyable back then.

But that never affected my enthusiasm for a good road trip!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Erik Timmerman and @Mike Thomas know that area real well too. Maybe they have some ideas and maybe even come up and ride.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
Last edited:

surfacehoar

Getting off the lift
Skier
I like pain and suffering mixed with stunning scenery so a tour in the South Chilcotins is on the bucket.

Last edited:

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Heaven's Bench across the street from Wildflower Inn is a great spot to chill for a bit. Maybe head up there for sunset.

splitter

Out on the slopes
Skier
Alright Colorado MTBers… we had so much fun on our Kingdom Trails/Vermont family reunion MTB trip, we’re planning another.
This time under consideration is Colorado. We are looking for relatively easy access to the airport but the biking needs to be great.

a quick Trailforks search has me curious about Breckinridge. Seems close to the Denver airport and there seems ti be a high concentration of trails. Keystone looks pretty close for lift-served riding.

Where else should I consider? Not as interested in the high desert stuff around Fruita for a trip like this with all stakeholders.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Alright Colorado MTBers… we had so much fun on our Kingdom Trails/Vermont family reunion MTB trip, we’re planning another.
This time under consideration is Colorado. We are looking for relatively easy access to the airport but the biking needs to be great.

a quick Trailforks search has me curious about Breckinridge. Seems close to the Denver airport and there seems ti be a high concentration of trails. Keystone looks pretty close for lift-served riding.

Where else should I consider? Not as interested in the high desert stuff around Fruita for a trip like this with all stakeholders.
Paging @Doug Briggs to the SkiTalk Courtesy Phone.

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor

Did you guys make it over to Victory too?

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Umm, seems to me that Breck is kinda high altitude for a mtb vacation unless you live at altitude or are planning lift served. IDK.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Robin is attending a conference in Vegas in September and invited me to tag along. I'm not a big Vegas guy and have managed to avoid the place for the past 25 or so years. However, I am considering going and doing some mtb riding. Anyone been? Should I go? How freaking hot might it be mid September?