• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

MTB in Sunriver/Bend OR Aug 1-15

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Hi All,

Will be heading to Sunriver on Sunday and spending two weeks in the area. Planning to do a bunch of riding with my family. We really like Phil's and may also do a day or two at Mt. Bachelor. Would love some recommendations on good MTB trails in the area geared towards intermediate riders. We like single track, flow and XC trails. Kids are getting into jumps and drops, whereas mom and dad are into avoiding injuries :doh: So with that in mind looking for trails we can ride as a family where you have an option of saying rolling or avoiding the drops/jumps but can also take them if you so choose.

Thanks in advance your words of wisdom.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Following

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Some cloud cover in Central Oregon and a few rain drops.

babanff

Out on the slopes
Industry Insider
In Bend, Tiddlywinks/Funner was a fun little loop that fits your description.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you venture over to Sisters (30 minutes away) the Peterson Ridge trails are fun. Lots of options, not too technical (at least not the parts I've ridden.) My sister just finished 2 weeks in Sunriver and they really enjoyed Cultus Lake for a non-MTB adventure. I know my nephew did a downhill mountain bike camp for a couple of days at Bachelor but they signed up long ago so no idea on availability.

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
I do not do a lot of mountain biking but spend a lot of time in Sunriver. First recommendation is go into one of the bike shops and buy one of the big printed maps they sell. Great map with tons of trails and descriptions of the region.
For some easy, warm up riding from Sunriver (near circle 7)you can ride the trail down to the Benham Falls parking lot then the gravel path to see the falls. From there you can either ride back on the paved path or take the paved path up to the Lava Lands visitor center. Right before the parking lot catch the Black Rock trail back down the hill. It is a really fun flowy trail that goes right next to the lava flows. It is a pretty cool thing to see. You can also do them as two separate rides easily.

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
If you venture over to Sisters (30 minutes away) the Peterson Ridge trails are fun. Lots of options, not too technical (at least not the parts I've ridden.) My sister just finished 2 weeks in Sunriver and they really enjoyed Cultus Lake for a non-MTB adventure. I know my nephew did a downhill mountain bike camp for a couple of days at Bachelor but they signed up long ago so no idea on availability.
Cultus Lake has a nice mtb trail you can ride by Litte Cultus and around Cultus Lake. Not technical. I suggest riding it clockwise.

TS
dovski

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
I do not do a lot of mountain biking but spend a lot of time in Sunriver. First recommendation is go into one of the bike shops and buy one of the big printed maps they sell. Great map with tons of trails and descriptions of the region.
For some easy, warm up riding from Sunriver (near circle 7)you can ride the trail down to the Benham Falls parking lot then the gravel path to see the falls. From there you can either ride back on the paved path or take the paved path up to the Lava Lands visitor center. Right before the parking lot catch the Black Rock trail back down the hill. It is a really fun flowy trail that goes right next to the lava flows. It is a pretty cool thing to see. You can also do them as two separate rides easily.
I have done that ride before and it is a fun one. Our plan this year is to go to Benham Falls and take the Deschutes River Trail all the way to Phil's trail-head in Bend. From their we will do Phil's Loop and KGB which we really enjoyed last year. The trick will be to have a car parked at Phil's as I don't think my kids will be up for the 11 mile (uphill) ride back to Sunriver :)

ZionPow

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My favorite is Tyler's Traverse-downhill. It is near Funner/Tidlywinks. Take Kiwa Butte Trail to top of Tyler's and let it flow!

Shuttle McKenzie River Trail if you have time. Beautiful trail with a few technical sections (lava rock) that can be walked if necessary.

Sponsor

Staff online