• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mustard, which, when and where?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Of all the condiments, mustard has some of the most varieties. Yellow, brown, dijon, where do you used each one?

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I like spicy brown mustard mixed with 100% fruit preserves (my preference is peach but fig is good also) as a quick sauce for boneless, skinless, grilled chicken breasts. I mix 1/4 cup preserves to 1-2 TBS of mustard depending on how "spicy" it really is. There is definitely some BIG differences in brands!

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Despite its now being owned by Kraft or Beatrice or whatever, I still come back to original smooth Grey Poupon as the baseline cooking ingredient. I'll substitute other French brands, such as Maille, in a pinch.

The coarse whole-seed versions are fun where you want a visual. They're not as flavorful, and don't have the same magic emulsifying quality in a dressing. Great in a deli-style sandwich, though.

The thing I might have to offer here, that dozens of others don't already know, is this. It's a must try. The name almost says it all. Great variety-bringer when you're tired of the tart and pungent quality of Dijon, but want something less innocuous than "yellow mustard."

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Plain old yellow mustard on burgers and dogs, dijon for making salad dressing and other cooking, honey-dijon for bbq sausages. Not a big fan of coarse grained mustards

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier
A spicy brown mustard for sandwiches, hot dogs, brats, etc. Dijon for dressings and marinades. I don't really ever use yellow mustard for anything.

I knew mustard... And then I went to Bavaria .. :geek:

Oh yeah, too true. All the different mustards and all the different sausages. Sooo good!

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
To start...
  • Yellow-
    • Philly pretzel (Wawa)
    • Corned beef & cabbage
    • Hot ham & cheese
  • Brown-
    • Hot Dog with Sauerkraut
    • Pastrami/rye
    • BBQ sauce base
  • Dijon-
    • lamb..with rosemary
    • dressings
    • Veal (or Chicken) Dijonnaise

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Yellow mustard, never. Especially that squeeze bottle swill.
Coarse (whole seed) mustard, pretty much all the time.
Dijon-style, only if you can politely ask someone and they happen to have it.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
American yellow mustard (Frenchs, Heinz etc) is fine on burgers and hot dogs but its so mild it may as well be mayonnaise.

Colman's Yellow Mustard is much more potent.

German Senf is great on a wurst

Had raisin mustard with a steak in France once - surprisingly fruity

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There is a great mustard company in Toronto, Kozliks. They started selling it at the St. Lawrence market years ago in a small booth. They offered up samples of all their flavours on pretzel sticks. They have some great flavours, from traditional to adventurous.
If you can find it I would definitely recommend it

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Not a fan.
I think it's even more foul than mustard..
Funny story, I went to a very expensive restaurant once..and I'm not fancy really (let's call that an understatement..)..and there was all this food on the plate..well not THAT much food..but it was not very identifiable..I *DID* know that there were parsnips on there somewhere (Scottish..good to go...) and some other things. Lighting was low-ish..Renee Zellwegger was a couple of tables over and I suspect they do this on purpose to give people some anonymity..anyway, I'm tucking into my parsnips, because I eat each different food one by one..don't ask..and I grab this huge spoonful of 'neeps and what do I get??? HORSERADISH!!!!! So now what? I'm at a table of 10, I got Renee Zellwegger just across the way, whom I've been mouthing "I LOVE YOU!!!" to all night, lord knows who else is in this murky den of wealth and celebrity..and I got a mouthful of burning hot horseradish.... Well, you choke it down, that's what... So lesson learned..if you can't positively identify the food at a strange restaurant, go easy!!!! Don't Gandolfini it...

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Cool WHHHHHHHip.... Just what is an "edible oil" product??!:huh::roflmao:
Cool Whip is great. And oil is edible (well, food oils anyway)... many people eat it all the time. Fried foods, sauteed foods, olive oil in a large variety of dishes, etc. I think the canned Whipped Cream industry would like people to think Cool Whip is made from crude oil or motor oil or something.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
To start...
  • Yellow-
    • Hot ham & cheese
Grill cheese sandwiches have been a comfort food for me since time immemorial:)
I was brought up to put mustard on grill cheese sandwiches and still do. Is that weird or do others do that too?

I like all kinds of mustard. The spicier and grittier, the better.

Sponsor

Staff online