• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mustard, which, when and where?

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
I just made myself a great breakfast sandwich. I recently remembered how much I loved this back when I was young and have started making it again. Maybe it was this thread that prompted my memory.

Two eggs scrambled in butter, vidalia onion slices, Grey Poupon, iceberg lettuce, all on a soft flour wrap folded in half. Yummmmm. The mustard makes it. Simple things can be so good.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Mustard is a spice made into a condiment.
Catsup is a fruit made into a condiment.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
tenor.gif

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I typically have 5 or 6 different mustards in the fridge. Dijon, horseradish, spicy brown, sweet hot, etc, etc. I'll buy whatever catches my eye at the grocery. None of that bright yellow stuff however.

I use it on hot dogs and sandwiches, sometimes as a side condiment for pork or steak, in dressings and marinades. How and where is largely just spur of the moment.

Michael Kane

Kano
Skier
I live in Rock Island, so the only answer for what type is Boetje's.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Of all the condiments, mustard has some of the most varieties. Yellow, brown, dijon, where do you used each one?
I never touch yellow mustard.
Brown, Scharfes Senf, or dijon is fine on a decent high quality wurst. Hot dogs of any persuasion need not apply.

Another okay place is with bread crumbs on broiled roast beef slices. A recipe of my mom's.

Not really a fan of sußes Senf, either. Horseradish and I have an even more limited relationship than yellow mustard.

Last edited:

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
We have a Wasabi Bob story about @Bob Barnes
We were having a staff meeting at The Cabin at Big Sky EpicSki academy. We had a table with Nolo, @Chris Geib , @Philpug @Weems and of course Bob Barnes. (among others) The atmosphere was nice and the place was dimmly lit.
Bob ordered the wasabi encrusted salmon, and was having nice conversation as he was eating.
During conversation he accidentally picked up a fork full of the wasabi garnish on the edge of the plate.
He immediately started gasping for breath as he had swallowed a melon ball sized wad of wasabi and there was no going back.
Chris Geib and I were on the opposite side of the table and could only watch and hope he didn't hural his meal across the table at us. Phil was sitting next to him and was looking at him with the look of "what do I do???"
Bob resembled this!

View attachment 107475
My brother plunged a chip into what he thought was guacamole..... They called the EMT's.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I made a real effort to buy real cinnamon once. The stuff was notably less flavorful. And notably more expensive. Whether it itself was actually real might be up for debate.

Like real wasabi, it does age fast. I find the difference absolutely critical in dishes that don't take explicit sugar - like moussaka.

James

Out There
Instructor
This forum needs a 'Fake Food We Accept As Real' thread, for things like wasabi and cinnamon.
Wait, all our cinnamon is fake??
What about the Vietnamese Cinnamon from King Arthur?

So… this means all the ER cinnamon challenges will have to be nulled?