• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

My first tubeless road tires - what spares?

Rich McP

H20nSnow Elsewhere
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've always ridden tube tires. Now I have my first tubeless road tires. What spares should I carry? I now carry a tube and an inflator. What do you tubeless folks carry to get you home after a puncture?

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've always ridden tube tires. Now I have my first tubeless road tires. What spares should I carry? I now carry a tube and an inflator. What do you tubeless folks carry to get you home after a puncture?

You carry the bike and walk silly...... :roflmao:

Sorry, couldn’t resist, it was to good of a setup. To be fair, I don’t know and will follow just to learn the right answer.

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
It is a great question, especially since I could not remove my tubeless tires from the rims. In my circumsatances, I ride a loop in which I am never. more than 6 miles from home. I carry my cell phone and only ride when my wife can come and get me. To be fair, I've not had a flat on the road with tubeless, but, I replaced them last season and would not ride on older ones.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Use sealant made for road tyres. Like Stan's NoTubes Race Sealant.

And then carry what @Jersey Skier suggested and a pump of course.

You should be fine.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A spare tube, an inflator, and something to patch up a puncture (like what @Jersey Skier posted). If you have the spare tube, you can use something like a dollar bill, wrapper, etc. to cover puncture in tire so that tube can be inflated.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Spare tube, CO2, and plugging device, like Dynaplug for road and Stans for mtb.

Beware: Some tubeless road tires are nearly impossible to get "off-bead", insert a tube, then remount the tire by hand. Very tight.

JShort

Getting off the lift
Skier
It's also worth keeping in mind that tubeless tires tend to collect stuff that can easily rip tubes. I had a tubeless flat a while ago that I used a tube for, and ended up puncturing two tubes. I usually carry a few co2s and hope that the sealant works

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
First you hope the sealant is good enough to immediately seal the puncture without too much air lost. In the event you get a puncture that is too large for the sealant to seal... like a tubed setup, you should always carry a patch kit. What good is tube if something else goes through the tire puncture and punctures the tube?

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Was carrying a tube up till last week, then I got a Dynaplug kit and took the tube out of my saddle bag. Up to this point I've had zero punctures that I am aware of and I'm not entirely sure I really want to attempt to take the tire off the rim in order to try to put a tube in.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
my phone - because there is little chance that if the dynaplug wont work that the tire is coming off the rim on the side of the road. I had to heat them up in my boot bag just to get them on.

PowHog

Getting on the lift
Skier
It is a great question, especially since I could not remove my tubeless tires from the rims.

This is exactly what deterred me from using tubeless tires on a road bike thus far. I tried my friend's Michelin tubeless tires on my (tubeless ready) rim for test purpose and found it almost impossible to get them back off without breaking the rim or cutting the tires apart even when using beefy levers. No way I would want to mess with this during a ride. Since perfect fit between rims and tires seem to matter a lot I haven't made the move yet.

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
This is exactly what deterred me from using tubeless tires on a road bike thus far. I tried my friend's Michelin tubeless tires on my (tubeless ready) rim for test purpose and found it almost impossible to get them back off without breaking the rim or cutting the tires apart even when using beefy levers. No way I would want to mess with this during a ride. Since perfect fit between rims and tires seem to matter a lot I haven't made the move yet.
I'm considering a new bike next year which is tubeless and I'm worried about it. I might buy a bike based upon if the rims are tubeless or not

PowHog

Getting on the lift
Skier
I'm considering a new bike next year which is tubeless and I'm worried about it. I might buy a bike based upon if the rims are tubeless or not

I would not compromise a frame set in favor of wheels. Better get a proper frame and sell off the wheels in exchange for some you actually like or add a second set of wheels later on.

TS
Rich McP

Rich McP

H20nSnow Elsewhere
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Are you concerned about a tubeless setup or are you concerned about hookless rims? If you don't want tubeless just install tubes. I suspect you are afeared of the difficulty of removal of compatible "hookless tires". If this is your real concern, go with @PowHog 's req and buy the bike you want and rebuild or replace the wheelset.

What bike are you considering?

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
He was looking at a Giant TCR in a different thread. I completely agree with you - now is *not* the time to be finicky about bike purchases, or you'll just wind up without a bike.
Yes, to pretty much everything that mentioned above. Giant TCR which has excellent rims from what I've read. Not looking for a bike until next spring and I'm hoping supply will be back to "normal". I'll need to ask/see if my bike shop would swap for the equivalent rims by somebody else that are hookless rims.

I'm also leaning toward non DI2 Ultegra too

I did try a Scott Addict RC 15. I liked it but in a 52 it felt just a bit too small

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Not looking for a bike until next spring and I'm hoping supply will be back to "normal".

I salute your optimism :thumb:and hope I'm wrong in my 2025/26 guess (from that same thread iirc).

. I'll need to ask/see if my bike shop would swap for the equivalent rims by somebody else that are hookless rims.

Jan Heine has a reasonably well considered article on the topic of hooked vs. hookless here:

(and a much more extensive one in his pay-subscription mag, but the short takeaways are the same). Short takeaway #1 - hooked rims are not as precisely molded #2 Aluminum rims require hooks.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online