• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

My Forester Identifies as a Diesel!

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
At this point, keep it and don't worry. But I'm going against @scott43 on the cheap oil idea. The incremental cost saving isn't worth the reduced lubrication, even if the stuff isn't in there that long!

The bummer is that you at least sorta kinda have to mention this when you go to sell? But at 13 years old and counting, probably not a big issue.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
At this point, keep it and don't worry. But I'm going against @scott43 on the cheap oil idea. The incremental cost saving isn't worth the reduced lubrication, even if the stuff isn't in there that long!

The bummer is that you at least sorta kinda have to mention this when you go to sell? But at 13 years old and counting, probably not a big issue.
I look at it as the never ending oil change... :ogbiggrin: just change the filter once in a while...

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
It’s bs imo. Subaru knows their engines are defective yet they do nothing about it and the dealers play stupid about the issue. Search Subaru engine oil class action.
That points to 2011 and beyond models.

scott43

Skier
We focused on 498,900 vehicles from the 2010 to 2014 model years, many of which are still under their powertrain warranty. Several engines emerged as the main offenders: Audi’s 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder and 3.0-liter V6, BMW’s 4.8-liter V8 and twin-turbocharged 4.4-liter V8, and to a lesser extent Subaru’s 3.6-liter six-cylinder and 2.0- and 2.5-liter four-cylinders.

Those engines are in models such as the Audi A3, Audi A4, Audi A5, Audi A6, and Audi Q5; BMW 5, BMW 6, and BMW 7 series, and BMW X5; and Subaru Forester, Subaru Impreza, Subaru Legacy, and Subaru Outback.

The worst case showed that, overall, owners of BMW 5 Series vehicles with V8 engines were 27 times as likely to suffer excessive oil consumption as owners of an average vehicle.

Already, some manufacturers are facing off against angry consumers who are finding that carmakers aren’t backing up their products.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier

I'm going to cycle through a couple quarts of extended mileage regular oil I still have then change to full synthetic before ski season. That was the plan all along.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm going to cycle through a couple quarts of extended mileage regular oil I still have then change to full synthetic before ski season. That was the plan all along.

Almost certainly no longer advisable, but you could pour a bit of Liquid Wrench into the oil right before the next oil change, in hopes of scouring out some built up sludge.

Like one minute before.

Used to work wonders on the sticky lifters in 70s Windsor 302 engines. :geek:

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Almost certainly no longer advisable, but you could pour a bit of Liquid Wrench into the oil right before the next oil change, in hopes of scouring out some built up sludge.

Sludge buildup may be the only thing holding the head gasket together :rolleyes:

Conventional oil is pretty much a thing of the past. It's not very easy to find anymore. It's going to be full or blend synthetic next time. Did full in the kids cars which are 2008 and 2010 after a lifetime of conventional oil with no issues post transition.

All the online research I find says that going full synthetic after a life of conventional oil or mix and match shouldn't be an issue these days.

As for the PCV I've located it. I guess no harm in changing it next time I change the oil this fall.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
That points to 2011 and beyond models.
My point isn’t whether your vin matches any of the class actions, just that it’s been a known issue in multiple makes/models/years that they choose to ignore.

I do agreee that if you religiously top it off the engine should be fine. Imagine a pair of skis with inferior metal edges that constantly dull to the point of loss of control. The easy answers are to file them after every day out, and probably not buy them again.

scott43

Skier
My point isn’t whether your vin matches any of the class actions, just that it’s been a known issue in multiple makes/models/years that they choose to ignore.

I do agreee that if you religiously top it off the engine should be fine. Imagine a pair of skis with inferior metal edges that constantly dull to the point of loss of control. The easy answers are to file them after every day out, and probably not buy them again.
Yeah that's about it unfortunately.

James

Out There
Instructor
Is the engine and tranny covered with oil?
It’s got to go somewhere.

I had a 4.2l v8 Range Rover that leaked a lot of coolant ftom the head gasket. I think I put nearly 100k miles like thst. I used to keep 2 gals in the back if going on an extended trip. Coolant is a commodity it seems, fluctuating in price. At least I could use the cheap green stuff.

I did have a mechanic once refuse to believe it, saying the engine couldn’t possibly run that well leaking coolant from a head gasket. (It didn’t burn any). I just told him it’ll be obvious when he gets a look at it from underneath.

Needless to say, the engine coolant circulating was always very fresh with the continual replacement. Nevertheless, at a Valvoline oil change shop once i was told my coolant was “old” and needed replacing. Lol.

Current ad-
45CD457D-987D-485C-9457-F37F51130F48.jpeg

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Fair point, and if it's been going out the exhaust, the cat is probably long dead?
Exhaust was overhauled manifolds to tail pipes in 2020. Check engine light kept flipping due to the leaks/holes adding fresh air to the sensors. Issue resolved, sensors working fine, didn't need new cat and if it was bad the sensors would be tripping.

As for where is it going? Not a drop of oil anywhere other than right below where I pour it in. All around the PCV is spotless, under carriage is spotless. bottom of engine is spotless.. No soot around the tail pipes either.. So who knows where it's going...

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
If your oil is going, it's going somewhere. If it were going into the cylinders past loose rings, or valve seals or even if sucked in through the PCV valve you would be burning it and there would be soot on the tail pipe, and your plugs would show it after a while. If it were leaking you would see the leak; maybe try some fluorescent dye. It may be leaking onto a hot exhaust and evapourating, but I would think you would notice the smell. Only other place it might be going is into the antifreeze through the head gasket. It is a Subaru.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Someone is crawling under my car and stealing the oil. Been this way for 115K + miles now, essentially the entire life of the car. No smell, no soot, no drips, undercarriage is clean every time I change the oil and filter, every 6 months. I don't see smoke when following it in another vehicle. Yet, I find myself adding about a quart per month when driving it regularly,, more when road tripping.
So, someone is stealing it hahahaha.. It's gotta be going somewhere..

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Someone is crawling under my car and stealing the oil. Been this way for 115K + miles now, essentially the entire life of the car. No smell, no soot, no drips, undercarriage is clean every time I change the oil and filter, every 6 months. I don't see smoke when following it in another vehicle. Yet, I find myself adding about a quart per month when driving it regularly,, more when road tripping.
It probably is going out the tail pipe and it just is visible.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
115K? Wow. You got that right after I got my Forester. I put 45K on that, 150K on the Jetta TDI and 85K on the Alltrack in the same amount of time.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
115K? Wow. You got that right after I got my Forester. I put 45K on that, 150K on the Jetta TDI and 85K on the Alltrack in the same amount of time.
Ya we got 4 cars and a scooter.. And I work from home.. Forester is at 122K now after 13 years.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
It probably is going out the tail pipe and it just is visible.
Or smellable..

My Scirocco burned even more oil. I know the smell. It also had soot on the bumper all the time. I did eventually go all in on rebuilding that engine down to valves and rings.. It never let me down on cross country trips, even when it was sucking a quart of oil every tank...