• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, the crash in April has lead to surgery in June. MRI shows what appears to be a full tear with bone chip of the left rotator cuff. I was originally slated to go in July for surgery but, as we all know, it's not what you know but who you know. A friend got me moved up significantly which is good. We're doing our annual y'all come now summer trip at the end of July and I'd be attempting to pull a 36' 5th wheel using one arm to steer. Anyway, that's my story and I hope all the rest of you get better before next year too!
Surgery went well. The tear was smaller than initially thought. The chip turned out to be calcification. Thanks to @Philpug and @Tricia for swinging by and checking in. It's nice to have support. The real fun starts tomorrow with PT.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I think I have good news!

After the crazy pop, the sticking knee cap, the diagnosis of exacerbated chondromalacia, and lots of Graston technique (definitely Paid Torture) - I was able to start riding my mountain bike again. And the more I ride, the better my knee feels. And the better my knee feels, the more I ride ... I'm even getting comfortable on technical stuff again.

With every ride, the knee is a bit achey for a while, then settles in. It's a little cranky that evening, but better the next day. I think I'm simply stretching out the patellar tendon (where he harvested the tissue for the graft).

I just tested my knee with squats and split squats, and while it's still not perfect - it's better than it was even a week ago. Like, a lot better!

I still have some limitations when riding, like I want to have my right leg forward, not back, when riding downhill - but it's a huge improvement from a month ago.

Trying not to feel like I'm waiting for something else to go wrong - and hopeful that I can stay functional through the skills camp I'm doing in late July.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Saved my best spill of the season for the last day, last run on June 1st. Double eject over the mogul leading with my bare arms. Soft tissue of the elbow gave way digging into the remaining World Cup ice sheet. Was thrilled to discover that my bad shoulder stayed in place avoiding another dislocation. Only damage was a little cut on the elbow that seemed to be pouring out a lot of blood. Friends urged me to go get medical help so off to the emergency room I went to get five stiches. Deep wound has just sealed up over four weeks later.

Cause - Operator error - Need to ensure that I dial my skiing back at the end of a long fun day.

Little Cut.JPG
1June
Healing cut.JPG
4July

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
PS, How's the knee coming?

It's doing very well, thanks.
It has been just under 3 months since surgery, and it feels great. An occasional twinge or soreness that worries me because it's novel, but nothing ever lasts very long or gets to a level of "real" pain. If I didn't know better, I'd think I was healed.

I've graduated from "official" physical therapy and gone back to self-directed at the gym. I'm trying to include a little more muscle variety than I did previously. My bad leg is 90 to 95% as strong as the other one, depending on exactly what I measure.

My next follow-up with the ortho is about 3 weeks from now.

I'm wondering about braces. The hinged DonJoy on the old leg was, at the very least, a psychological help. I've worn it ever since my surgery on the other leg ~4 years ago, other than the few times I forgot to bring it. But the hinge sticks out a ways, and I worry two of them might catch on each other. Maybe I'll have to forgo the old one.

James

Out There
Instructor
It's doing very well, thanks...

I'm wondering about braces. The hinged DonJoy on the old leg was, at the very least, a psychological help. I've worn it ever since my surgery on the other leg ~4 years ago, other than the few times I forgot to bring it. But the hinge sticks out a ways, and I worry two of them might catch on each other. Maybe I'll have to forgo the old one.
Glad to hear it's going well!
As for braces, never wore one after 2 acl's. I did wear compression sleeves though. Is the jury still deadlocked on the brace issue? What say the orthos these days? It does have to fit very snugly to be of any use other than psychological.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The last time around, my ortho said the evidence was very mixed, but he still had his daughter get one when she hurt her knee.

On the other hand, I think this time I had one of the injuries where a brace would have had a good chance of helping. It was a completely straight "overthrust" injury, with no twist at all. The part of my leg above my knee went forward beyond the part below the knee.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
As for braces, never wore one after 2 acl's. I did wear compression sleeves though. Is the jury still deadlocked on the brace issue? What say the orthos these days? It does have to fit very snugly to be of any use other than psychological.

My doc also told me there are pros and cons, and I did the same as you - didn't want a brace and chose to wear a compression sleeve (after seeing how big my knee got if I didn't - wowza!). I know people who start wearing a brace and then never were confident enough to stop wearing one. I didn't want that.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I'm still struggling with knee pain that seems to be related to certain muscle areas getting super tight / knotted when I ride my bike. Which I'm betting would also happen with skiing. I've been getting Graston, which has helped, but for some reason only this week did my PT suggest that hey, dry needling would probably be a better option, actually. Say what?

So I had an appointment with a dry needler. I've had it done before, but not like this. He stuck four needles in me, creating two pairs, then spiked up some electricity in those babies until my quads were jumping like crickets. Before this procedure, squats hurt in a very particular spot. Afterward, they felt tons better. So I have a bunch of electrified needle appointments booked. PT says this is not just symptom relief (which is what Graston was doing) but actually targeting the root issue of improper muscle usage.

*fingers crossed*

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Aaaand my shoulder impingement is back, except in the left shoulder (had it in the right shoulder years ago). There's no injury here, just chronic postural issues. I got a refresher on PT exercises today, plus a PT who left bruises all along my upper arm. It looks like I got in a fight (or, really, was grabbed against my will). But it *did* help. Amazing how strong PT hands are.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Aaaand my shoulder impingement is back, except in the left shoulder (had it in the right shoulder years ago). There's no injury here, just chronic postural issues. I got a refresher on PT exercises today, plus a PT who left bruises all along my upper arm. It looks like I got in a fight (or, really, was grabbed against my will). But it *did* help. Amazing how strong PT hands are.
:(

...it's just a flesh wound ogwink

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
:(

...it's just a flesh wound ogwink

Well, it's still summer - in the winter I don't need my shoulder ;-)

Anyway, here's a half-assed photo of the bruises -

20170908_082207.jpg

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
You need your shoulder for the winter, Monique. Trust me.

Oh, yes - but I've skied a season with this particular affliction before. The worst was trying to deal with ski boot buckles, at a time when it hurt to even tie my shoes. But it's not to that point yet, and I hope to use PT to keep it from ever getting that bad!

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
Grade V liver lac with arterial bleed. I am definitely out the rest if this season with strong warning from a trauma doc friend might not b able to ski until early 2018
Oh, and liver lac also means NO alcoholic beverages for a while.:crash:
Longtime no hear @SkiNurse , have you been cleared for take off?

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Longtime no hear @SkiNurse , have you been cleared for take off?
My trauma surgeon asked ME recently if I was going to ski. I carefully said "yeesss....????" To which she replied, "I just assumed that you were. Just don't be an a****** you still have a hematoma". (Which was at 4.5cm ~4 weeks ago...originally 11.9cm). I took her statement as giving me the okay to ski this year. :rolleyes::crossfingers:

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My trauma surgeon asked ME recently if I was going to ski. I carefully said "yeesss....????" To which she replied, "I just assumed that you were. Just don't be an a****** you still have a hematoma". (Which was at 4.5cm ~4 weeks ago...originally 11.9cm). I took her statement as giving me the okay to ski this year. :rolleyes::crossfingers:

Wooooooohoooooooo! Winning! Oh, this makes me so happy! Looking forward to joining you soon! :daffy::hug:

Sponsor

Staff online