• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Arizona/New Mexico My Taos ski week adventure - Feb 2020

TS
Jenny

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Day 1 - cross posted from Ski Diva

I will expand on these later, maybe, if I can remember anything else, but I’m exhausted - I don’t sleep well in the mountains, and had a couple early mornings before we left so I started out at a deficit. It's 8:00 pm and I fully expect lights out by 8:30!

There were about 5-6 of us doing the ski off today. I acquitted myself fairly, didn’t fall, and ended up in an appropriate group. I don’t know what level it is, officially, but I’d guess 6/7 based on what we did. Feel free to correct me if this sounds wrong.

We’re working toward moguls - after all the years of saying I’d never do them, here I am!

Yesterday they apparently worked on what Derek (instructor) calls "rocking" to start the next turn. This terminology isn’t resonating with me, but he said that it's what flattens the ski so you’re ready to turn. So, we did that first.

Then he had us carving some turns.

We also did drills balancing poles on our arms, falling leaf, side slips, skiing while keeping our gaze at one particular place (so as to keep the body facing downhill), using our hips to angulate more(?), and pole plant drills, which was funny, because I had actually noticed I was the only one pole planting and had kind of wondered if he told them yesterday not to worry about it.

He gave a big introduction to moguls, talking about different ways to do them, different lines, etc. His way is to ski the troughs, which honestly doesn’t sound like a good idea to this Michigan skier - all the troughs I ever see are more like icy ruts, but I’m in this with an open mind, so giving it a try. Right after he took us down some bumps he skied us over to some trees and we went through a little bitty section there.

Tonight it could 8-14” or so of new snow, depending on where you look. And it's supposed to snow another 3-5” tomorrow. And the temps could be anywhere from single digits to high teens/low 20s. Apparently, it's anyone's guess and I have no idea what to wear.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
You lucked out with Derek. He is one of the best instructor there. A regular part of our afternoon crew.

With what he is teaching, just gotta have faith. He knows what he is doing.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
On one of our afternoon adventures, I decided just to follow Derek's line the whole way. (Through Al's and Ernie's at least, there might have been a Spenser's-to-the-Gulley run too.) It worked great!

He's the real deal.

TS
Jenny

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Again, mostly cross-posted from Ski Diva, but with added @KingGrump material!

So, day 2 - the adventure continues.

Before I forget, yesterday we also did the drill where they force you to lift a ski off the ground while you’re traversing - funny enough, I was better with my repaired ankle as the one that was down, rather than the other. Not usually the case in yoga balancing. And we did one where he forced us to be patient on our turns.

But back to today - a powder day. Think it was a foot+ overnight.

Here are three things I said I’d never do - bumps, trees, hike. Guess what three things I’ve done so far this week? Yeah.

We did soft bumps. We did firm bumps with soft snow on the top. We did cut up snow that wasn't technically bumps. We hiked (OK, not far, but it still counts) to get to Hunziker Bowl. Derek told me I was in good shape, 'cause I stayed with him for the hike, but I was sucking all the air in the vicinity. We did black diamond bumps. He pointed at something and mentioned the end of the week but he better have been messing with me because O.M.G.

I am learning a lot, and am pretty sure I’m in the midst of a breakthrough. If nothing else, I seem to have found my confidence again, and that’s worth the price of admission.

We skied with KingGrump and Mamie this afternoon. It was nice to meet up, and they were so very gracious. They showed us around, and basically continued my instruction from the morning, giving me invaluable tips and "atta girls". It was quite lovely, although what little legs I had left after the morning are gone now. Can’t believe I made it to 4:00! They also had good advice for my husband, since he’s on his own while I'm in class. I hope we get the chance tor at least buy them a couple drinks before the end of the week.

FlyingAce

Out on the slopes
Skier
I am doing a ski week this week, but not in Jenny’s group. My instructor is Alain Veth - I had him for Race Week last year, didn’t get enough of him, so I booked him for a week this year! We have already done more than I expected in 2 days and everything we did was in double-time. And we have not even started bumps or carving lessons yet!
I only had one photo op chance in the last 2 days after I needed time to catch my breath after a short walk. Otherwise we were all over and rarely stood around to talk.

2C22FA9B-3DCC-4F83-9B33-5B1E22E7E0A0.jpeg

Last edited:

FlyingAce

Out on the slopes
Skier
Another great day - sunny, no wind and the snow condition is still awesome! Alain took me to the next level of carving with just minor tweaks in my stance. I had no idea changing something so minor can make such a big difference!

99527A73-2EDF-4ABC-80FB-A1E2BFCDEAC1.jpeg

TS
Jenny

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Cross post from Ski Diva again

Day 3 -

News flash - soft fluffy bumps are much easier than the ones that have been skied down into harder lumps!

Today was all about the movements needed for successful bump skiing, whether we were doing them on the groomers or in the actual bumps. On the groomers, I can do it. In the bumps, not so much - at least not always successfully. Derek says it's OK to traverse across one to get to one that I like better, but all that seems to do is propel me. When he made me follow his line, which I’m sure, given his experience, is the best one, it wasn’t pretty. I need more time to study them and form my plan of attack, but I can’t hold up the class for too long.

I was a good girl and practiced in the afternoon, so hoping that it pays off tomorrow.

Did I mention that he thinks my boots are too soft for me? He said something about it and how it could be affecting my stance, putting me backseat a little as I try to compensate for overpowering them. This is only my 8th day on them, so they’re better not be too soft! There’s an adjustment on the back that we turned from soft to hard and he said it looked better today, so that's straightened out, at least. Now I guess any backseat skiing is for other reasons.

TS
Jenny

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Oh, forgot to mention - when we got to the base today there were all sorts of tents, but it wasn’t an open demo day. Something for industry people, although we did talk to a couple just to get a look at the skis.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^^
Wow! That makes about 3 feet of snow since the Gathering left... I guess the Gathering Effect was just a little late in showing up.

(For those who may not know, we've had pretty good luck getting dumps just prior to, or during various Gatherings... hence the "Gathering Effect". For instance, we got almost 40" throughout the week at Big Sky last season, and a 10" day during the Taos Gathering last season. Heck, we got 8" or so during the Mid-A Gathering last weekend. But not much during this year's Taos Gathering.)

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Taking a little ski vaca in Taos the first week of March. Looking forward to it.