• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

My teenager needs new skis

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
As the title says, I am looking to get my nearly 18 year old son some new skis. He is 5'10" and weighs in at 150 lbs. He is a cross country runner so is very fit. It is unlikely he is going to grow much more so I want to get him something that will last a few years. He is a solid intermediate skier but despite his age is not really into the park or pipe. We ski mostly in the PNW but will venture into the Rockies. Any suggestions for a solid all mountain ski for him?

I posted this on that "other" site right around the time of the transition and only got one, lonely response. Hopefully some of my favorite gear heads will give me some recs. Thanks for your help.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Light weight. at 18 he is done growing in height but will put on weight. Very well this is the last pair of skis you should buy him..the next pair he is on his own. First ski that comes to mind is the Armada Invictus 89Ti, a playful ski that is damn good and does not look like his fathers ski. I loved the ski myself and thought they skied awesome. They are playful yet held an edge well. Other option is the Atomic Vantage 90, a bit more stout but will not overwhelm him either. Take a look at my Snippets thread.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Light weight. at 18 he is done growing in height but will put on weight. Very well this is the last pair of skis you should buy him..the next pair he is on his own. First ski that comes to mind is the Armada Invictus 89Ti, a playful ski that is damn good and does not look like his fathers ski. I loved the ski myself and thought they skied awesome. They are playful yet held an edge well. Other option is the Atomic Vantage 90, a bit more stout but will not overwhelm him either. Take a look at my Snippets thread.
I think Phil is talking about this thread.
Snippet Comparison: 2016 88-92mm All Mountain Skis

TS
Jwrags

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
Thanks Phil and Tricia. It is the last pair I plan to buy him, especially with college on the horizon:eek:. You think for a guy his size the 179 would be right?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yuppers on the 179. :thumb:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks Phil and Tricia. It is the last pair I plan to buy him, especially with college on the horizon:eek:. You think for a guy his size the 179 would be right?
Of course at his age, he probably needs new boots, skis, jacket, gloves, helmet......

TS
Jwrags

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
Of course at his age, he probably needs new boots, skis, jacket, gloves, helmet......

New boots, maybe. Fortunately he is more of a minimalist than a fashionista so he is content with the rest of his gear.

Downtown

Putting on skis
Skier

Great thread!

I'm also looking for a teenager. In this case 16.5 yrs. 5'10", 135/140, solid muscle - as he's a swimmer/sprinter. He's an intermediate skier and unfortunately nearly all of his training has been from me...At his age, I was a shredder and racing...but this generation is different. Anyway, he's athletic enough, confident, and interested enough that he's ready for a better than "On-piste" ski (more of a rental/demo type - all round front-side maybe 80 underfoot). He's followed me in the deep Pow and I can tell he's ready for more :)

So, i'm been wondering "what do I get him?"

He's probably still growing and will likely finish taller than I am (6'), so maybe 6'2".

I saw a Salomon Q85 which looked interesting to me. It probably still favors the front side, but has some float. I like the cost and size and was thinking about getting him the 174cm. I was looking at wider skis, but I don't want him to regress and want this ski to give him confidence. The Armada appears to be a fun ski, but maybe it's too much for him? I'm not sure. I like that it's near 90cm underfoot.

Thoughts on the Salomon Q85?

Thanks!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Great thread!

I'm also looking for a teenager. In this case 16.5 yrs. 5'10", 135/140, solid muscle - as he's a swimmer/sprinter. He's an intermediate skier and unfortunately nearly all of his training has been from me...At his age, I was a shredder and racing...but this generation is different. Anyway, he's athletic enough, confident, and interested enough that he's ready for a better than "On-piste" ski (more of a rental/demo type - all round front-side maybe 80 underfoot). He's followed me in the deep Pow and I can tell he's ready for more :)

So, i'm been wondering "what do I get him?"

He's probably still growing and will likely finish taller than I am (6'), so maybe 6'2".

I saw a Salomon Q85 which looked interesting to me. It probably still favors the front side, but has some float. I like the cost and size and was thinking about getting him the 174cm. I was looking at wider skis, but I don't want him to regress and want this ski to give him confidence. The Armada appears to be a fun ski, but maybe it's too much for him? I'm not sure. I like that it's near 90cm underfoot.

Thoughts on the Salomon Q85?

Thanks!
The Sally 85 is a real good option especially because he is only 135-140, pretty light. The Armada is pretty darn friendly and will bot overwhelm him but at his weight the Sally should be a bit better, plus I think it might be about $100 less.

Sponsor