• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Name a ski area you haven't skied in over a decade but want to revisit.

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
Sugar Loaf is defunct as I recall. I tried to go up there in 99, all the way up the Leelanau and it was gone. Turned around and went to Cadillac and Chrystal. Used to have a cottage near South Haven and skied MI a lot

did it reopen After 99?
Not yet. They finally have a new owner that is tearing down the structures because they are not safe to rebuild. They are going to build some kind of resort but won't say what yet or if it will have skiing again.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

Mister Tea

The skier formerly known as Walt
Skier
Sugar Loaf, Michigan

Well, either you have to wait for the new owners to replace the lifts or hike for your turns.

I never skied Sugarloaf, but I regularly ski with Sugarloafers. Maybe someday, but it will be a first, not a nostalgia thing.ee

I actually went to Sugarloaf when they were still open - 1999 or thereabouts. Went for a ski weekend up north and stayed at a hotel that had discount passes for The Homestead, so we went there instead. Turns out I knew someone on ski patrol who got us free lift tickets for the next day, so we never made it to ski Sugarloaf. My loss.

Last edited:

Mister Tea

The skier formerly known as Walt
Skier
The Mount Trashmore of Legend

It's where I learned to ski over 20 years ago, and it's still the closest lift served downhill to my house.. But I haven't been in at least 15 years, and in the intervening years Vail bought it and put a bunch of money into it.

I have one of those mega-passes that gives me a day there, so it looks like I'll be making a return trip this season.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
@James Taos
I'm with @James on Taos where my only trip was in December 1992 and also included Angel Fire and Santa Fe, but I want to go there when there's enough snow to ski Kachina lift-served. I think Santa Fe and Taos had some coverage when I was there, but remember Angel Fire opening some black runs with very thin base. The pre-Christmas decorations everywhere in NM were great.

Other areas that I have not visited in more than 10 years that I would like to try again are Beaver Mountain, UT and Hoodoo, OR. My list could even include Buttermilk, CO and both China Peak and Dodge Ridge which are close to me in CA, and a couple of places in Scotland that I skied in the very early 1980s while living in Northern England, my only skiing close to being European.

Johnfmh

Johnfmh
Skier
Mount Sunapee
Waterville Valley
Gunstock

Need to visit NH at some point to ski the resorts I frequented as a child.

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
Well, either you have to wait for the new owners to replace the lifts or hike for your turns.

I never skied Sugarloaf, but I regularly ski with Sugarloafers. Maybe someday, but it will be a first, not a nostalgia thing.ee

I actually went to Sugarloaf when they were still open - 1999 or thereabouts. Went for a ski weekend up north and stayed at a hotel that had discount passes for The Homestead, so we went there instead. Turns out I knew someone on ski patrol who got us free lift tickets for the next day, so we never made it to ski Sugarloaf. My loss.
If they'd let us on the hills I'd definitely hike or Skin up! I go to Mt Mancelona now and Skin up for my turns if we get some decent powder. Sugar Loaf was the greatest midwest ski resort there was. The Awful Awful was legendary and people still talk about skiing that run!

CascadeLuke

Booting up
Skier
Its been 10+ since I've been to Mammoth and probably 6 since Jackson - want to rip them badly on my current quiver. The place I dream most about returning is the Swiss Alps; Andermatt region and St Moritz made a huge impression on me.

bjohansson

Putting on skis
Skier
Cannon. I haven't been there since 1990. All I remember was wind, ice, and vw sized moguls. Has this rock been tamed? I've been wanting to go back since the addition of mittersill and the INDY pass will make it happen.
Nah, Cannon is all groomed out now. My 82-year-old dad likes it but I found it boring compared to Magic. TBH, Tramline wasn't skiable when I was there (coldest day of the year last year). Do we know each other? My avatar pic is from T-Zone on 3/18/2018.

Places I want to go back to...The entire Tirol region of Austria.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
All I remember was wind, ice, and vw sized moguls. Has this rock been tamed?

Fun, I would like to ski it some day but maybe in the spring.

Also, Smuggs - we used to ski there while I was at UVM, first year. It's a hell of a mountain no doubt. But Mad River became my mountain from then on at school.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
Steamboat- was my first trip west at 15yr old and haven't been back---way too long...

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
Kleine Scheidegg/Männlichen – Grindelwald/Wengen: Cheryl and I went there on our honeymoon *and* our 5th anniversary trip, it was awesome !!! The first trip was 25 years ago. At the end of the day, we grabbed a seat on the deck behind the Hotel Bellevue des Alpes hotel, duplicating the final scene of "The Eiger Sanction".

Food and drinks were pretty awesome as well !!!

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Europe
St. Anton

The East,
Stowe Vermont
Sunapee NH
Loon (If they have foot rest on their chairs)

The West
Aspen
Snowmass
Vail

skiprob

Putting on skis
Skier
Whistler - Honeymoon in '92
Tremblant
Big Tupper

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Kleine Scheidegg/Männlichen – Grindelwald/Wengen: Cheryl and I went there on our honeymoon *and* our 5th anniversary trip, it was awesome !!! The first trip was 25 years ago. At the end of the day, we grabbed a seat on the deck behind the Hotel Bellevue des Alpes hotel, duplicating the final scene of "The Eiger Sanction".

Food and drinks were pretty awesome as well !!!
There’s now a tram that goes up so you can watch Clint Eastwood climbing.
07D65593-915C-487A-809C-2E42436410B4.jpeg

The Swiss mountain that’s changing forever
Ice melt and a new cableway are reshaping the Eiger experience.

Kanuk

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Powder King, north of Prince George BC. I remember going there when all they had were construction trailers for the lodge. That was a long time ago. I think they get over 40’ on average per year.

Sponsor

Staff online