• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

National Day Lunacy

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
OK just don't be the people who put raisins in chicken salad....

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Back in the day the local rock club stoners played softball at the school behind the club on Sundays. Someone would bring a chilled watermelon which would be stuffed with upside down liquor bottles resembling Sputnik for 30 minutes before we'd cut it up and eat it.. Good times!
1660694506500.png

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Back in the day the local rock club stoners played softball at the school behind the club on Sundays. Someone would bring a chilled watermelon which would be stuffed with upside down liquor bottles resembling Sputnik for 30 minutes before we'd cut it up and eat it.. Good times!
View attachment 175718
Does that actually work? I'd guess maybe a pint of liquor would be absorbed.... but admit I've never tried it.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
So today is National Dog Day.

Uncle-A

Skier
Today is National Taco Day, of course it is a Tuesday.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Does that actually work? I'd guess maybe a pint of liquor would be absorbed.... but admit I've never tried it.

You're allowing for some of the watermelon juice to make it into the bottles because osmosis?

Looking up numbers online for a 20lb watermelon, that's about 7.5 liters of interior volume.

5 750ml bottles at 80 proof would be equivalent to 1500ml of neat alcohol, the rest water. 1.5 liters of USP ethanol uniformly distributed over 11.25 liters of total volume, that's in a healthy wine concentration range, 13% ABV.

In other words, if the internal membranes were to allow for near-zero osmotic pressure, that's 975 ml of ethanol inside the watermelon. Tasty. Of course, they won't, so...experiment !

Uncle-A

Skier
Well it is another one of those days that you might say Who Cares but it is:
14 November 2022
National Pickle Day

Uncle-A

Skier
I saw on TV this morning that it is National Puppy Day. Have a good day.

Uncle-A

Skier
This one is for @Philpug and @Tricia and all the other members that live in Nevada because today is National Nevada Day. I don't know why but it is so Happy National Nevada Day.

Uncle-A

Skier
Today is National Siblings Day so call your siblings and wish them a happy day.

Uncle-A

Skier
Don't worry about what to have for lunch today because it is National Grilled Cheese Day and of course you can add the traditional bowl of tomato soup.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
You're allowing for some of the watermelon juice to make it into the bottles because osmosis?

Looking up numbers online for a 20lb watermelon, that's about 7.5 liters of interior volume.

5 750ml bottles at 80 proof would be equivalent to 1500ml of neat alcohol, the rest water. 1.5 liters of USP ethanol uniformly distributed over 11.25 liters of total volume, that's in a healthy wine concentration range, 13% ABV.

In other words, if the internal membranes were to allow for near-zero osmotic pressure, that's 975 ml of ethanol inside the watermelon. Tasty. Of course, they won't, so...experiment !
In other words, yes, it works.

Sponsor

Staff online