• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

National Forest Christmas Tree cutting permits

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
One can now acquire for $12.50 online at recreation dot gov, a national forest Christmas tree cutting permit. I just bought one for El Dorado National Forest where I expect to cut a couple small trees in maybe a couple weeks on a day returning from skiing at Kirkwood. Usually just minor areas of our NF are open for such tree cutting however this year their map shows almost the whole forest open for such as the new program wants people for wildfire reasons to help them remove small trees especially along road side locations. Permit is good for 2 trees to 6" diameter 20 feet tall. One needs to have athe permit when doing so. Will select a small incense cedar that have a wonderful fragrance plus a small perfect looking red fir.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
They do want you to hunt around and take a tree from a denser section rather than just a standalone one if you can, among some other tips.

Do us a favor, and rake the forest up a bit as long as you're out there. :roflmao:

Posaune

sliding
Skier
Up until this year I ran a Christmas tree farm. Be ready, if you aren't already, for wild trees to look different than the ones that come from outfits like mine. The wild ones are usually much lankier than the farm raised ones since they aren't cut back, or "sheared." Some people like that, and maybe you're one of them. Have fun.

TS
SSSdave

SSSdave

Skier
Believe it, that a little hunting will have added aesthetic value plus add fun.There are a lot of beautiful little fir trees growing beneath big ones. Young red firs look somewhat like the northwest noble firs. The complicating issue is they only grow at snow elevations so parking spots will be limited to plowing policy. A big snow storm could bury the small ones. Its fun finding beauty in trees.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Up until this year I ran a Christmas tree farm. Be ready, if you aren't already, for wild trees to look different than the ones that come from outfits like mine. The wild ones are usually much lankier than the farm raised ones since they aren't cut back, or "sheared." Some people like that, and maybe you're one of them. Have fun.
Came here to tag you. My work is done..

Pretty sure no matter what it will be better than this until... SQUIRREL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1605924250609.png

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier
We get a tree every year from the specialty cutting area near Winter Park. A few tips for your Charlie brown tree- trees tend to be fuller toward the top, since you are limited in trunk size, you can cut a taller tree than you would need and cut off the bottom foot or two at home, I use the extra branches to make a wreath for my front door. Additionally, since the branches are a bit spindly, lightweight ornaments go nearer the ends and heavier ornaments go towards the trunk. Lights work better spiral wrapped around the main trunk and maybe around the thicker branches. Wrapping the lights more tightly keeps you from seeing a mess of wires and lights the tree from within. I'll have to dig out some pictures of our past trees, we love our Xmas tradition of getting a Charlie Brown tree and usually make a day of it, bring hot chocolate in a thermos and cookies to eat at the car after hunting.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
We converted to artificial tree last year. Blasphemy in the land of Oregon which exports the most Christmas trees of any state. (8.5 million trees in 2014)

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I just walk across my driveway & cut one. :ogcool: When we used to have Xmas in the Poconos (last one would have been 2002), it was $35 for a tall, "farm raised" tree. I moved here and the very few farm raised trees for sale were $125. Uh...no.

My tree is way fresher and usually stays up until almost the end of ski season with no needle loss.

20191028124344.JPG

Posaune

sliding
Skier
If you cut your own, needle loss doesn't have to do with whether it's a farm tree or not, it has to do with species. Best for needle retention in my experience are spruce, next comes true fir (grand, noble), and last pine and Douglass-fir (still OK for a couple of weeks use). DO NOT use western red cedar; it will fall apart immediately and has weak branches that won't hold any ornaments, but works wonderfully for boughs. I'm sure there are other varieties in different localities but these are the ones I'm sure of.

TS
SSSdave

SSSdave

Skier
For those like this person that will be cutting their own tree in a forest, I'd like to see a photo of what you decided to cut both before and after any decorating. And do you know the species?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
We're partial to Frasier Fur trees here..
1606346325579.png

TS
SSSdave

SSSdave

Skier
From an earlier year of course. Very nice S, with spaced branches. Likely a douglas fir, pseudotsuga menziesii, given the spiral needles.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Regular watering, it'll last until March, worst case.

This year, I've picked out the tree, but it may not get cut. No point having all the work of cutting it, dragging it, erecting it, decorating it, watering it, taking it down, etc. if no one is coming. We'll make that determination in the next 2-3 weeks.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Score! We didn't cut it, but got it from the local substance abuse rehabilitation charity. $69 retail and added an additional donation. They put it in the stand and tie it to the roof bars.
1606517854261.png

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier
This was last year's tree. Its a lodgepole, which are my favorite because they are super sturdy and come with their own pinecone ornaments. i also like blue spruces, but they're harder to find and tend to be even more spindly at the smaller sizes. Our ceilings are low, so we are limited to under 7'.

Attachments

• D90717E1-20BA-43C1-A8F4-95687CC7A7E2.jpeg
    D90717E1-20BA-43C1-A8F4-95687CC7A7E2.jpeg
    185.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 1CE10467-6D90-4114-A0C8-BEB4D03CA1B4.jpeg
    1CE10467-6D90-4114-A0C8-BEB4D03CA1B4.jpeg
    130.2 KB · Views: 6

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm no good at species, @Posaune . It's green. LOL!

As you can see. I'm fond of bagging, not wrapping.
View attachment 115961
We had one like that. A 30' hemlock got knocked down so i turned the top 9' into a Christmas tree. My wife made fun of it. The dang farm stand charged $70 this year for a skinny one. Should have gone to Lowes.

Sponsor