• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Nature calls!

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
One aspect of the pandemic shutdown was that the convenience store bathrooms that I had come to rely on on longer rides are all closed now.

Thankfully there are plenty of wooded areas around here that I can utilize for bio-break reasons.

TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
LOL, there are only a couple of rides where there is any kind of shop or store to use here. I just pull over and have the most amazing views ever to take a piss :). this is my "go-to" nature break location at the top of a climb.
D47B3521-AE84-4069-A8A3-9B4A15E63261_1_201_a.jpeg

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
We had some interesting ways to take a pee while paragliding. The people doing long cross-country flights (think 6 hrs in the air) would have special equipment (tubes) to route the pee away.

Gymnastic moves to position your body in the flying harness so gravity/airstream takes the pee away, all while controlling the paraglider with weight shift and brake handles is very challenging.

Usually, just "holding it in" until landing was the trick. Land, immediately stow glider, rip off harness and run for the trees to take a pee.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
I've mentioned a friend who was a professional rider in France when young. He qualified for the TdF once, but was injured and couldn't compete. Anyway, he said that sometimes they would aim at nearby riders from other teams. But he pointed out that they would always get even. If you saw somebody, um, pulling it out, your only option was to push forward or fall back.

Reactions: Ron

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
When I rode the 868 miles from the source of the river Rhine in Oberalppass, Switzerland to the estuary at Hook of Holland last year, I reckon I came across no more than about half a dozen rest rooms conveniently located. God only knows what European cyclists do in general, especially the ladies ... I, being a chap, was luckier, but there were many occasions when there was sparse vegetation coverage within a reasonable distance and you feel a bit of an idiot standing there as a load of, naturally lady, cyclists hove into sight ...

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Oh yeah, I know of the call of nature when there is sparse cover... I did Cycle Oregon the year they started at the Snake River (Idaho border) and went to the Pacific. The number of trees between the Snake River and the crest of the Cascade Mountains was zero.

The rest stops did have porta-potties, but if you needed to go between rest stops...

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I passed a guy taking a crap along the side of a fairly busy highway (Trapper's Loop, which passes Snowbasin) while on my way to bike on Sunday. He was squatting down, TP in hand, in full view of the highway. Ironically, there is an open gas station at the bottom of the hill, which he had to have passed all of 5 minutes prior. Nasty.

TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I passed a guy taking a crap along the side of a fairly busy highway (Trapper's Loop, which passes Snowbasin) while on my way to bike on Sunday. He was squatting down, TP in hand, in full view of the highway. Ironically, there is an open gas station at the bottom of the hill, which he had to have passed all of 5 minutes prior. Nasty.

When ya' gotta go, ya' gotta go.

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
:geek::facepalm:

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
My nature break location this AM. At top of a great climb.

View attachment 109154

Nature break spot near Deer Valley and Park City from bike ride earlier this year.
15 july RV DV PC pano.jpg

This thread reminds me of most memorable places for making yellow snow over the years.:P

Wildcat, NH 2005:
1352775067_pic1.jpg

Aspen Highlands, CO 2016
1479700961_djuytvuha.jpg

Grand Targhee, WY 2020
targhee yellow snow spot.jpg

Last edited:

ZionPow

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It wasn't me and I have an alibi since I was at Bear Lake on Sunday ;)

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If memory serves... I think Greg Lemond had a touch of diarrhea on the bike during one of the later stages of the TdF. He was riding with S**# running down his legs.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My friend's Army unit in Iraq drove fuel trucks across the desert to forward bases. Many times stopping was not an option for the 8 hour drive one way.

Reactions: Ron

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Nature break spot near Deer Valley and Park City from bike ride earlier this year.
View attachment 109185

This thread reminds me of most memorable places for making yellow snow over the years.:P

Wildcat, NH 2005:
1352775067_pic1.jpg

Aspen Highlands, CO 2016
1479700961_djuytvuha.jpg

Grand Targhee, WY 2020
View attachment 109186

Do you usually face the trail when you pee? Better view for you i guess and the guy in blue as well.