• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Nature calls!

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
It wasn't me and I have an alibi since I was at Bear Lake on Sunday ;)
Mmmhmm, if you say so! :ogbiggrin:

For those who say "emergencies happen", well, he could have hidden in the bushes that were all of five feet away. But no, his bare behind was out there for all who passed to see. The sewage ponds from Snowbasin are right below where he was--maybe he should have just used them like a giant toilet.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
One aspect of the pandemic shutdown was that the convenience store bathrooms that I had come to rely on on longer rides are all closed now.

Thankfully there are plenty of wooded areas around here that I can utilize for bio-break reasons.

In the heavily populated areas of Northern Virginia, I’ve always found the wooded areas to be both the cleanest and most convenient options. (My wife would disagree!)

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Occasionally you will see /hear about long distance marathon runners letting go out the back end. It's TMI but this thread's about TMI..

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Mmmhmm, if you say so! :ogbiggrin:

For those who say "emergencies happen", well, he could have hidden in the bushes that were all of five feet away. But no, his bare behind was out there for all who passed to see. The sewage ponds from Snowbasin are right below where he was--maybe he should have just used them like a giant toilet.

Have you really never had a blowout? Wow.

2 more feet can be impossible.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
If memory serves... I think Greg Lemond had a touch of diarrhea on the bike during one of the later stages of the TdF. He was riding with S**# running down his legs.

There's also Tom Dumoulin at the Giro d'Italia a few years back where he came to a quick stop by a road sign, did a quick doffing of his jersey, and let the feces fly. He still won the race that year, tho he had to race back up to the lead group as it was a mountain stage.

The Sun (UK) had the best headline for this:

SKIDMARK SCARE: Cyclist Tom Dumoulin takes POO in the middle of a stage despite being race leader as rivals smell chance to take advantage

One of the images in the article sums it up (I'm not posting the squatting shot):

dumoulin5.jpg

Back in the days before helmet use was compulsory and folks wore casquettes (i.e. cycling caps), if a teammate (especially the team leader) was having a bit of "GI bother" a domestique rider would sacrifice his cap as a bit of a collection bag for solid waste. So if you see a "vintage" cycling cap "as worn by a pro rider in the peloton," be sure of its provenance. :ogbiggrin:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
. He still won the race that year, tho he had to race back up to the lead group as it was a mountain stage.

Total respect for him during that episode. He had to race back to the lead group, stave off cramps and manage the electrolytes afterwards; squits are the best way to lose potassium bar puking and any concentrated electrolyte replacements can readily trigger more ...evacuation.

And the time trial afterwards was epic.

whitefeathers

Putting on skis
Skier
They dont say how the ladies do it though...I wonder if a lady rider has ever went while on the move. Gross. I hate that nowadays most restrooms are closed. my rides arent long enough to have issues that cant be solved by finding some woods or tall grass. On a run a couple weeks ago I had to make an emergency trip into the woods because the park district even locked up the porta potty!

My friend's Army unit in Iraq drove fuel trucks across the desert to forward bases. Many times stopping was not an option for the 8 hour drive one way.

I concur having done the same job while I was over there. Although we stopped occasionally on the side of the road. While the guys would easily just wet the tires the ladies would group up and provide "cover" for eachother taking turns. alot of times I was the only lady. Id use the truck as cover and I didnt care who saw because i had to go so bad. The guys could easily just use a gatorade bottle while we were on the move and I dont remember if they had those lady pee funnels invented yet. I have one now but have yet to have had a situation where I needed to use it.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
They dont say how the ladies do it though...I wonder if a lady rider has ever went while on the move. Gross. I hate that nowadays most restrooms are closed. my rides arent long enough to have issues that cant be solved by finding some woods or tall grass. On a run a couple weeks ago I had to make an emergency trip into the woods because the park district even locked up the porta potty!

Manon Lloyd covered this and other issues for women who ride earlier this week on GCN:

I have a female cycling friend who is quicker to pee than most men - she has one of Manon's techniques down to a science, I think.

Many of my female cycling friends now use bib shorts by Velocio and others that have quick-release straps for an easy "trou drop."

And then there are triathletes - we speak not of them nor of their hygiene on the bicycle. Having done shop work on a few, let's just say the disinfection protocols were only recently eclipsed by COVID protocols. :eek::rolleyes:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
The guys could easily just use a gatorade bottle while we were on the move and I dont remember if they had those lady pee funnels invented yet. I have one now but have yet to have had a situation where I needed to use it.

The Lady J was certainly available by 1990; not sure about other brands.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
The Lady J was certainly available by 1990; not sure about other brands.
Ya but doesn't that take two hands to manage that AND the bottle? I know they can ride no handed, but while peeing too might be a little sketchy..

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
LOL, there are only a couple of rides where there is any kind of shop or store to use here. I just pull over and have the most amazing views ever to take a piss :). this is my "go-to" nature break location at the top of a climb.

Similar, but can't find the photo at the moment.

Three peak view: Mt. Adams, Mt. Rainier and Mt. Hood.

Hard to beat!

Reactions: Ron
TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I'm riding with @Jwrags niece and friend who are visiting "the boat" today so no urination pictures. :). I'll be on my best behavior.