• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

DrGT

Booting up
Skier
I know there is plenty of info and threads about this topic, but...

I will buy Renoun Endurance 98 skis by tomorrow night.
My mind was set on Tyrolia Attack 13 demo bindings.
I want demo bindings for 2 reasons:
1 . Be able to share my fantastic skis with friends
2. Have the possibility to move the bindings to alter the ski's dynamics.
I must admit though that I have never had demo bindings before.

But then, Renoun had this Black Friday deal... Free bindings with the skis : Look SPX for free or Look Pivot 14 for 100$.
They can also sell me Marker Griffon Demo for 100$ but I have read many negative comments about the Griffon, mainly that they are hard to enter.

So, what do you think about the Marker?

Sale ends tomorrow ...

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I've used the Markers for years. Sure they are harder to get into than some but it's not a problem. They aren't harder than those Looks.

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Personally, I would skip the Markers. Either Look binder will work well, especially with the flex of the Endurance 98. If your heart is set on demo bindings go with the Attacks. The reasons you mentioned make sense.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Then new Marker demo is better than the outgoing model because it is now tool less and Gripwalk compatible. Yes it does take more effort to get into than the Tyrolia but can be dealt for the people that you will be sharing the ski with.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
IMG_1962.JPG

The Markers look really hot on the Renouns - both of my Renouns (104 here) will have Jester 16 ID's; I made the switch from Tyrolia & am plenty happy.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
View attachment 33694

The Markers look really hot on the Renouns - both of my Renouns (104 here) will have Jester 16 ID's; I made the switch from Tyrolia & am plenty happy.
Remove the plastic film from the Sole.ID logo, that is the binding equivalent of leaving the size sticker on the helmet ;).

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
Then new Marker demo is better than the outgoing model because it is now tool less and Gripwalk compatible. Yes it does take more effort to get into than the Tyrolia but can be dealt for the people that you will be sharing the ski with.

!!!! Clarify what year Marker is being offered. I've used the Griffin Demo extensively & have never had issues getting in & I'm a shimp, but the new version is GripWalk & toolless.

Personally I'd never put a demo on a Renoun; sharing means having less.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Demo bindings?

What do demo bindings do? Do they slide on a track to fit different BSL’s? If so I have Demo bindings. Are non-demo binding less adjustable?

Edited to add: I have Vist bindings

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Demo bindings?

What do demo bindings do? Do they slide on a track to fit different BSL’s? If so I have Demo bindings. Are non-demo binding less adjustable?

Demo bindings have an adjustable toe and heel, similar to many system bindings like your Vist bindings. I will say the current generation of these bindings are on par with their retail counterpart. While earlier versions of these bindings were sloppy and had a disconnect from the ski, these new ones are very good.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Demo bindings?

The toes and heels are both adjustable. Normal bindings, the heels are only adjustable.

The Attack Demos can adjust to almost 40mm BSL difference. Standard fixed bindings maybe 10mm.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Some demo bindings are also used as their brand's system bindings, the Look Konnect and Salomon/Atomic Warden 13 and the Vist that @Started at 53 are some examples. While Marker and Tyrolia do not, they easily could offer Griffon and Attack demos for wider skis.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The issue with the griffons have to do with shorter BSLs specifically rather than people with longer boots.
If your boots are over 310 you probably won't have this specific issue with the griffons (doesn't mean you should pick it, just that you won't face that fault).
If you are BSL 300 or less then skip it.

If people say their griffons are fine, confirm first what is their BSL.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
If people say their griffons are fine, confirm first what is their BSL.

Not all skiers with short BSL have step in issues with the Griffon bindings.

My boots are 283 for the last 10 years, maybe more, I have no issues with Griffon and/or Jesters.

Mamie is in a 260 BSL last year and 263 the prior seasons and she has no step in issues with the griffons.
In fact she prefers the Griffons over the Attacks. I bought her the same ski as her daily driver and mounted a pair of Attack 13 on it. I had to replace the Attack with a pair of Griffon to keep er happy. :doh: Women, someday. :nono:

The small BSL and Griffon issue is not universal.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Not all skiers with short BSL have step in issues with the Griffon bindings.

My boots are 283 for the last 10 years, maybe more, I have no issues with Griffon and/or Jesters.

Mamie is in a 260 BSL last year and 263 the prior seasons and she has no step in issues with the griffons.
In fact she prefers the Griffons over the Attacks. I bought her the same ski as her daily driver and mounted a pair of Attack 13 on it. I had to replace the Attack with a pair of Griffon to keep er happy. :doh: Women, someday. :nono:

The small BSL and Griffon issue is not universal.
How is she with Squires?

Many of the Griffon issues also stem from the boot soles. Boot soles that are grippier and more contoured also tend to be more difficult.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
How is she with Squires?

She didn't like the squire. My son was #210 a few years back (2012) had issues with the first gen squires. Just a PITA to get in.
They all switched to the griffons and had no issues..

I believe Mamie preferred the griffon over the Attack because of the higher ramp angle. It works for her. She is happy. I am happy. :D

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
The issue with the griffons have to do with shorter BSLs specifically rather than people with longer boots.
If your boots are over 310 you probably won't have this specific issue with the griffons (doesn't mean you should pick it, just that you won't face that fault).
If you are BSL 300 or less then skip it.

I don't know what determines it. My theory is that the Markers have a much narrower tolerance. That's the only way I can explain why some of my Marker mounts have been reasonable, while others were impossible to step into.

My BSL has recently been 296 and 298, and Markers both Griffon and Squire have been suboptimal for me.

One thing I'll note : post-surgery, I am *so* grateful I'm on Attack 13s. It hurts to step into a Marker, and I literally couldn't do it several times in one day.