• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Need Boot Help Please

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Unlocking after some clean-up... A few notes:
  • We have a new user here in who's had a thread go off the rails - let's try to help him keep it on the rails, and keep in mind the posting rules for the site
  • If anyone - the thread starter or another reader - sees a post that is out of line, please just flag it for the mods to look at using the "report" link
@Golfer1633 - The overwhelming opinion on PugSki is that trying to identify boots online that might be good for you, based on reviews or other info, is not often useful. That's why a lot of posts are questioning things. The usual advice is to go see a good bootfitter, and let him/her figure out with you what boots work best for your foot and skiing ability, style, and needs, regardless of brand and model you might have in mind. That said... if you'd still like information on some particular models or have more specific questions, perhaps someone can help. Thank you.

Last edited:

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
It sounds like @Golfer1633 wants to have some control over which boots he will buy. That is a reasonable request in most purchases. A little research ahead of time usually helps a buyer make a better choice than otherwise. Unfortunately this does not work well with ski boots and infrequent boot buyers.

He has not yet bought boot after boot that didn't fit properly and learned the hard way that a buyer's knowledge base about boots, even after research, will be inadequate for predicting what boots might be best for the buyer's feet. The boot's shell anatomy, which doesn't lend itself to verbal descriptions, must match the buyer's foot anatomy in all dimensions. Its length must be appropriate, its width must not be too wide, and its height over the instep must not be too high or low. Its heel width must match the skier's heel. The forward lean of the cuff must work well with the buyer's range of motion when flexing forward at the ankle. The buyer's leg length factors into the fit, as do the buyer's tolerance for foot compression and to cold. Budget is a factor, as is the buyer's ability to get back to the fitter for tweaks the first year.

Even given these issues, it's still reasonable for someone to want an answer beyond "find a good bootfitter." Golfer is aware that some people on this forum know all kinds of details about those three boots he's identified. He must wonder why they don't just give the information to him and let him do with it as he wants. He's an adult asking real questions and people are telling him to give up his desire for knowledgeable control. I feel his frustration level since way-back-when I got the same answer on a previous forum. "Trust your bootfitter" was the message I got. I went to a highly recommended bootfitter since nobody would tell me what I wanted to know, and that guy proceeded to profile me inaccurately and put me in the wrong boot. Several boots later I'm finally in the right boot and friends with the right bootfitter. I would not have been able to prevent this from happening even if the forum gurus had told me details about the boots. I just wasn't savvy enough.

The OP might simply need to do what many of us have done by working his way through the school of hard knocks, one boot at a time.

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Most of the memers who live in SoCal ski and get their fitting done in Tahoe or Mammoth.
I would bet a majority go to Cordy at Footloose.
@Pat AKA mustski came to NLT two seasons ago for new boots
@VickiK has made trips to NLT as well as Mammoth.

@Mothertucker @MountainMonster, What say you?

TS
Golfer1633

Golfer1633

Booting up
Skier
It sounds like @Golfer1633 wants to have some control over which boots he will buy. That is a reasonable request in most purchases. A little research ahead of time usually helps a buyer make a better choice than otherwise. Unfortunately this does not work well with ski boots and infrequent boot buyers.

He has not yet bought boot after boot that didn't fit properly and learned the hard way that a buyer's knowledge base about boots, even after research, will be inadequate for predicting what boots might be best for the buyer's feet. The boot's shell anatomy, which doesn't lend itself to verbal descriptions, must match the buyer's foot anatomy in all dimensions. Its length must be appropriate, its width must not be too wide, and its height over the instep must not be too high or low. The forward lean of the cuff must work well with the buyer's range of motion when flexing forward at the ankle. The buyer's leg length factors into the fit, as do the buyer's tolerance for foot compression and cold.

Even given these issues, it's still reasonable for someone to want an answer beyond "find a good bootfitter." Golfer is aware that some people on this forum know all kinds of details about those three boots he's identified. He must wonder why they don't just give the information to him and let him do with it as he wants. I feel his frustration level since way back when I got the same answer. I then trusted a highly recommended bootfitter who proceeded to profile me inaccurately and put me in the wrong boot.

The OP might simply need to do what many of us have done with his boot buying by working his way through the school of hard knocks, one boot at a time.
@LiquidFeet
You hit the nail on the head - or Clipped the boot in the binding in the ski world. This will be my fourth pair of ski boots. I went to a "Master Boot fitter" Who first put me in a boot that caused me to lose my big toe nail. I then returned those boots to and he swapped them for a pair of Rossi Bandit B14s - way back in the day 2007ish. The fit was eh ok... I could ski them all day but but my feet would be sore/ hot spots. Then I went to a different boot fitter who fit me for my current Dalbello Boss boots. They have been the best of the bunch but still far from great. I've been put through the ringer when it comes to boots, and I feel I have a pretty normal foot. Hence why I've been doing so much on my own - I guess you could say my confidence is less than stellar in boot fitters. If anyone knows of a truly great high quality boot fitter in So Cal - From LA to Mammoth I will make the drive.

TS
Golfer1633

Golfer1633

Booting up
Skier
Most of the memers who live in SoCal ski and get their fitting done in Tahoe or Mammoth.
@VickiK has made trips to NLT as well as Mammoth.

My wife and I are taking a road trip to Lake Tahoe in a couple of weeks. Maybe I could coordinate to line something up!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
My wife and I are taking a road trip to Lake Tahoe in a couple of weeks. Maybe I could coordinate to line something up!
That is where you'll get a lot of solid recommendations. South Lake or North Lake?

Calbearski

Booting up
Skier
There are a couple of shops north of Tahoe I have done business with you might try. They are Olympic Bootworks in Squaw Valley and Start Haus in Truckee. Just be aware due to COVID 19 you will need to make an appointment.

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hi!
I live in southern California, ski BB and MM and Tahoe. I bought my first set of boots (and footbeds,) after a proper fitting, at Olympic Bootworks up at Squaw. They did excellent job. My DH is still in his boots. I "outgrew" the flex on mine and bought new ones at Blue Zone in Truckee, fitted by @Tricia . If you're In Tahoe.... there are some good fitters nearby ;)

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Just be aware due to COVID 19 you will need to make an appointment.
This is something I should have brought up. Phil will be taking appointments, other shops are taking customers by appointment only, so check their policy before counting on it.
Blue Zone in Truckee, fitted by @Tricia .
Thanks for the shout out. As you can imagine, it will be at least a month before I'm likely to start taking appointments. Giving my body time to heal.

In2h2o

Out on the slopes
Skier

Cordy or Kevin at Footloose in Mammoth. The bonus of being fitted there is that (in non covid times) you can demo before you buy. Not many places you can be fitted and then try the top choices before you purchase. I would check to see how things are going in covid times.

Call ahead and see what they have in stock and what their policy is for fitting apointments. MM not opening until Nov 14 or after and must have more snow than a wrod.

TS
Golfer1633

Golfer1633

Booting up
Skier
Cordy or Kevin at Footloose in Mammoth. The bonus of being fitted there is that (in non covid times) you can demo before you buy. Not many places you can be fitted and then try the top choices before you purchase. I would check to see how things are going in covid times.

Call ahead and see what they have in stock and what their policy is for fitting apointments. MM not opening until Nov 14 or after and must have more snow than a wrod.
Hey so I called Footloose and spoke with a lady who seemed great. Unfortunately - Cordy no longer works there and Kevin is out till next year cause he's having a knee replacement. :/

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
Up until yesterday I would have suggested Claud at Skinet Sports, Studio City, but I talked to him this morning & he sold the shop this summer.
I'v had Dave at Footloose do some tweaking for me, & was happy with his work.
Cordy retired & sold the shop a few years ago, but he was coming in early season to do some of the race kids boots the last couple of years, maybe see if this is still the case.

In2h2o

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hey so I called Footloose and spoke with a lady who seemed great. Unfortunately - Cordy no longer works there and Kevin is out till next year cause he's having a knee replacement. :/

Ok I knew about the knee, but not the timing. Van or Dave ?

TS
Golfer1633

Golfer1633

Booting up
Skier
Up until yesterday I would have suggested Claud at Skinet Sports, Studio City, but I talked to him this morning & he sold the shop this summer.
I'v had Dave at Footloose do some tweaking for me, & was happy with his work.
Cordy retired & sold the shop a few years ago, but he was coming in early season to do some of the race kids boots the last couple of years, maybe see if this is still the case.
Yeah I stopped by Skinet a few weeks back and saw they closed shop. Bummer.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Were going to South Lake Tahoe.
Powder House in South Lake Tahoe had Dickson Brown, really good fitter. I think he's still there.
The sister store of the one where Phil and I work by appointment is in South Lake, but I never get down there and don't know the fitters there.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@VickiK has made trips to NLT as well as Mammo

As others have mentioned, Corty retired. Kevin was still at Footloose last season and he is excellent. It does sound like you have had issues on the past. I have also, my guru fitter was @bud heishman in Reno His shop is about 15 minutes down from Mt. Rose

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Olympic Bootworks has opened up a second shop in South Lake.
I did not know that. Do you know who they have for fitters there?

Sponsor

Staff online