• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Need New Rear Wheel/hub

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hey guys, I could use some help/information regarding getting my bike back on the trail.

So I was riding through a rock garden last weekend and all of the sudden - no pedal power. My rear hub is shot.

Bike is a 2013 Kona Hei Hei 29er. I took it to LBS and they said around $250 for a wheel and another $70 labor. Does that sound reasonable?

I have no clue though when I look online I see decent looking wheels for $150ish. Not being a very good bike mechanic I am thinking this is something I don't want to tackle myself. Or should I?

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Did they say exactly what happened? Sounds like broken hub body, axle or freehub. Is the rim good? Broken spokes?

TS
Crank

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Definitely the hub. Or freehub? Axle seems ok. Rim is ok. Whell just spins on both directions and you can hear/feel the pawls not catching when you spin the pedals. Have had some bent spokes for years, but it's pretty true and stable. They didn't seem to want to just do the hub though.

scott43

Skier
Freehub is like $40. I think that's a formula hub. I can't see the hub but they may think it's pooched. If the axle isn't bent and the bearings are good just get the freehub replaced. However, without seeing the hub this is guesswork.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
without seeing the hub this is guesswork.
What he sorta said.

$250 may be a great deal or a total ripoff. Too many variables to say. Do you know what hub and rim is on the $250 wheel? Hand built or machine built?

And, if the $70 is to just install the wheel then either that's too much or I need to raise my labor rates.

TS
Crank

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
What he sorta said.

$250 may be a great deal or a total ripoff. Too many variables to say. Do you know what hub and rim is on the $250 wheel? Hand built or machine built?

And, if the $70 is to just install the wheel then either that's too much or I need to raise my labor rates.
We didn't get into that. I think $70 was just the wheel. I am also having them repack the front axel and look at front brakes which I think could use a new pad.

scott43

Skier
I would just replace the freehub body with a Shimano product. Whatever speed you have, get a Deore freehub if you can find one. If it's just a broken pawl or body, it's an easy fix. I just don't know if they saw other stuff that would be problematic. Bent and broken axles were a far bigger problem before the freehub system and FS bikes. If your rim was decent, with discs you probably can get away with a fair bit as long as you're not breaking spokes. Itemized pricing would be good...

TS
Crank

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Spec on that bike. And if the first shop said new wheel, I'd consult a second shop.

From a shop's perspective. The only positive of just replacing the freehub body on an old wheel with "bent spokes and pretty true," is that you'll still get to sell them a new wheel in another season or two.

scott43

Skier
From a shop's perspective. The only positive of just replacing the freehub body on an old wheel with "bent spokes and pretty true," is that you'll still get to sell them a new wheel in another season or two.
Yeah but if you two years out of a $30 freehub..I'll make that trade. Well, personally I'd build myself a new wheel...but that's me! :ogbiggrin:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Crank how did you end up with a Bonty wheel on your Kona?

Whatever the reason, you might want to have a Trek/Bontrager dealer take a look at it, as they would definitely be able to just replace the freehub if that's all it takes.

The $70 seems high for labor to simply install a new wheel, although by the time they swap the cassette and disk and realign your caliper it might not be too crazy after all.

If you wanted to do it yourself, you'd need a cassette "socket" and a chain whip and a T25 torx wrench.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Good luck finding the correct Bontrager freehub, especially with today's supply issues.
This was my first thought. It could very well be that they can’t locate a freehub but I don’t get the $70for labor How about asking for a detailed estimate and reason for a new wheel?

backdoor

Getting on the lift
Skier
@Crank are you mech savvy?

Did the bike shop pull it apart and look at it?

Freehubs are pretty simple to pull apart, grease up and put back together if you have the right tools.

Are you sure its a pawl based hub and not a star rachet? I know Bontrager uses DT Swiss internals or at least a similar rachet system and these have a tendency to free spin in both directions if the spring wears out or if the freehub isn't pressed all the way down on the hub.

You can get a decent wheel on ebay or new for $300. Just make sure it matches what you have now, through axle or quick release. I believe the rear axle should be 135mm wide. If you can't or are unwilling to swap out your rear wheel, move the disc over and remount the rear wheel and center up your Calipers just pay the shop and get it done. It's about an hours work. 70 seems high but if they warranty it and you can bring it back for any reason it's worth paying if you don't have the time/tools to fix it yourself.

Sponsor