• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Daves not here

Getting off the lift
Skier
Looking for a good lower profile helmet. Currently have a 7 year old Giro. Wife just got a new Smith Variance (I think) and she loves it better than her old Giro.

Smith, new Giro, Scott, Solly??? What should I be looking for that keeps me warm and is low profile. I have Oakley goggles if that matters.

Thanks!

Stephen

AKA Steven
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
This may not be what you were looking for but it was my personal experience from trying on helmets today.
I had been looking at helmets while out skiing trying to see if there were ones I liked and had been looking online some. I had a few ideas so when I went in the store those are the ones I tried on. It amazes me how cool a helmet can look on one person and how goofy it can look on someone else. Pret is by far my favorite fit. POC by far is the goofiest looking on me. My favorite overall helmet to try on today was the Smith Vantage.
I've started narrowing down features I want.
Other than that, my recommendation is try some on. That may help narrow it down for you a lot.

James

Out There
Instructor
The Smith Koroyd interior - on their higher end helmet is freezing once air gets in. Air gets in at the front if you tighten the head band. Plus on mine it had un closeable vents in back. At least duct tape works on that.

Best to have a hood on your jacket if you want warm these days. Lots of helmets made for venting not warmth.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I have a Giro with vents that you can open and close and I like it. Have used it in a wide temp range in total comfort. Below say 15º I close the vents.

Thats me wearing it in the photo.
23380_10152376770800371_210665813_n.jpg

TS
Daves not here

Daves not here

Getting off the lift
Skier

Swiss Toni

Out on the slopes
Skier
The Giro Range has MIPS and is also Giro’s lowest profile helmet.

Stacks

Stacks
Skier
Yep - looking for MIPS. Liking the Pret helmets - gonna go try some on if possible. Any experience with these?
Probably looking at a new helmet for next winter (June 2017) and like the look of Pret, have tried a few on but haven't got any further. Only one shop I know down here stocks them but it is the best little ski shop in the land.
http://www.smallplanetsports.com/

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
For me, helmets have one thing in common with boots - I find one with a good fit first; everything else is secondary. For me, Smith so far is the only brand that fits well. Not all of them, but the Variance/Variant/whatever it is is great.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yep - looking for MIPS. Liking the Pret helmets - gonna go try some on if possible. Any experience with these?
I have two of them, one with closable vents, the other lighter with fixed vents. They're pretty lightweight for what they are, my only complaint is that the chin strap frequently has to be re-threaded through that dumb little set of holders on the bottom. But I think that's fairly endemic to helmets, at least my prior couple had the same annoying thing. Is it really that difficult to design away that flaw?

TS
Daves not here

Daves not here

Getting off the lift
Skier
Update on my search: I must not have a round head :) as the Smith Vantage was tight in front and back of head. My Giro fits different. Maybe try the Giro range next. Still have to try the Pret.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I have two of them, one with closable vents, the other lighter with fixed vents. They're pretty lightweight for what they are, my only complaint is that the chin strap frequently has to be re-threaded through that dumb little set of holders on the bottom. But I think that's fairly endemic to helmets, at least my prior couple had the same annoying thing. Is it really that difficult to design away that flaw?
Picture? None of my helmets have had that except maybe the cycle ones.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The Smith Koroyd interior - on their higher end helmet is freezing once air gets in. Air gets in at the front if you tighten the head band. Plus on mine it had un closeable vents in back. At least duct tape works on that.

Best to have a hood on your jacket if you want warm these days. Lots of helmets made for venting not warmth.

Hard to beat a full coverage race helmet for that. I have had no issues with the POC skull comp and I have been using them for about 6 years now. Also have the POC Orbic skull Comp helmet to the new FIS spec, but it still feels a bit bulky, not quite got it dialed in yet

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I just went through this. Skied into an unmarked rock garden, cowboyed out without trouble, but released a heel when I returned to the groomed at speed, over the typical one foot high "groomer wall" we get when it snows as much as it has this season. Bumped head only VERY lightly, but the helmet is eight years old......

So I tried on a bunch of them. The new version of my old super-well ventilated Smith Vantage doesn't fit the same and I didn't like the idea of the koroyd (and I hadn't even read @James comment on coldness).

Of the 5 or 6 that I tried on, the Marker Ampire fit the best, so I followed @Philpug's lead and went Marker. It didn't hurt that it was priced well and was red. I'm tired of black stuff.

James

Out There
Instructor
Hard to beat a full coverage race helmet for that. I have had no issues with the POC skull comp and I have been using them for about 6 years now. Also have the POC Orbic skull Comp helmet to the new FIS spec, but it still feels a bit bulky, not quite got it dialed in yet
How's the hearing in that Poc Skull Comp?
wha?....
It's been quite awhile since wearing full solid helmet.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
How's the hearing in that Poc Skull Comp?
wha?....
It's been quite awhile since wearing full solid helmet.

I haven't found it to be an issue and I use it when coaching when my athletes are also all in full solid helmets. While soft ear helmets are OK for slalom, I have tried some slalom helmets and didnt like them so I use a skull comp, with chin guard, for slalom as well

James

Out There
Instructor
Yeah I've refused to go POC even if it fit because of their moronic goggle strap holding design. Or lack of. A clip in thing that falls out all the time in a boot bag doesn't do it. They've gotten beyter on some other helmets. I ski with goggles up a lot. Plus if you take your helmet off on the lift, now you worry about dropping goggles?

I remembered why I'm not still complaining about the Smith Vantage helmet. Jacket hoods that work.
So whereas helmets used to be warmer than hats some like the Vantage are worse. This requires supplemental equipment like a head sock/balaclava or hood.

The women's version may be warmer.

A big issue is the temple fit and how the adjustment tightens. If you have a little space there then when tightened for your head it opens a gap and is cold.

Last edited:

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
. I hear you James. I always throw away the pic goggle clip. A few pieces of Velcro on the helmet is the way to go!

TS
Daves not here

Daves not here

Getting off the lift
Skier
So far only Giro is a good fit for an oval head like mine. i have tries Smith, Pret, Oakley thus far. Any ideas on others that fit oval shaped heads? I have the Giro Seam and may just end up with another one at this point.

James

Out There
Instructor
Oakley helmets are weird. Tried one on the other day. They must fit someone.
It the helmet fits, buy it.

Sponsor

Staff online