• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

NEGex, A Touring Gathering. Interest?

James

Out There
Instructor
Since this season is problematic at best for a Gathering, and many have cancelled, I’m wondering if there’s any interest in a Touring meetup. You wouldn’t even need gear as you could rent. This could even be in addition th a Gathering if there is one.

Possible areas would be Bolton Valley in VT off I89 up towards Stowe; Black Mountain in NH; or even Mt Washington/Presidentials with a guide.

Bolton has rentals set up, even lessons. I’ve just discovered this small place in Jackson, NH that rents and sells gear.
Ski the Whites. Check it out if you’re over that way and looking for AT stuff.

Could be 1 day, 2, 3. One place or all places. Very open. Just trying to gauge interest at this point.

Anyone interested?
At this point I suppose that only NH is quarantine free entry for most. A guide day would have zero lodges and lifts and is about as distanced as you could get for a Gathering.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Missed your post the first time. And thanks for the mention. ;)

I have gear, though I'm a total newbie and my boots don't fit right. MWV is convenient for me. Keep me in the loop, please.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Unfortunately I don't think I can do a day of ski touring and then drive home safely. It is an intriguing idea, though.

TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
Yes, this year.
Missed your post the first time. And thanks for the mention. ;)

I have gear, though I'm a total newbie and my boots don't fit right. MWV is convenient for me. Keep me in the loop, please.
Lol, and you responded! A true NEG core member.
MWV = ? [ edit- you clarified]
I’ve never even skinned yet, though I now have the gear except avy stuff. I did get an avy shovel for the car.

Unfortunately I don't think I can do a day of ski touring and then drive home safely. It is an intriguing idea, though.
A tent?

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
MWV == Mount Washington Valley - i.e., North Conway / Intervale / Jackson / Pinkham Notch

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ve never even skinned yet, though I now have the gear except avy stuff. I did get an avy shovel for the car.
I've been out once this winter. Surprisingly, the up was fine and fun, while the down was an exercise in frustration as my skill level in those boots was about n-2 levels on the PSIA scale.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I’m leaning towards “no”, primarily because of the boots situation. I can’t imagine skiing in non-canted rental boots again, much less paying for the privilege.

I’ll repost if I change my mind. Particulars about the proposed itinerary would help.

Mount Washington valley and Bolton Valley are essentially equidistant for me.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m leaning towards “no”, primarily because of the boots situation. I can’t imagine skiing in non-canted rental boots again, much less paying for the privilege.

I’ll repost if I change my mind. Particulars about the proposed itinerary would help.

Mount Washington valley and Bolton Valley are essentially equidistant for me.
I had this idea that I could get away with a less precise fit on the AT boots. No.

aveski

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I might be in on this, although I haven't been touring much this year. A couple of options that would be good for all experience levels are, doing a skin up the Tuckerman trail on Mt Washington and skiing down the Sherburne. Also Black Mountain of Maine offers lift service and a skin track to the top. Plus backcountry glades directly adjacent to the area.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I’d be interested. I’ve been really busy and it looks like it’s not slowing down just yet but I’d like to get out there and use my née touring skis. I’m actually doing a BC avi course the next three days. I predict that the snowpack will be very stable.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd totally be down for this, and I have gear, and use to tour a lot, but alas I'm on the DL. I can't tour, hike or drive very far right now. My season is ending soon as I'm going under the knife in a week or so.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd totally be down for this, and I have gear, and use to tour a lot, but alas I'm on the DL. I can't tour, hike or drive very far right now. My season is ending soon as I'm going under the knife in a week or so.
:beercheer: Good luck!