• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
After the latest round of bitter cold Catskills weather, we're using a hand or toe warmer on top of the boot under the Boot Glove. It works way better than you think it does. For me, it's better than a toe warmer inside the boot because there's not enough air inside my shoe to keep the chemical reaction going. It made all the difference when it was -10F for first tracks at Whiteface last week.

dm

OldJeep

Getting off the lift
Skier
I use the DryGuy boot gloves ($30 on amazon) and they seem to help more with heat than my boot heaters - which I have pretty much stopped using now. FWIW size M for my Narrow 315 sole atomic boots. They have the added bonus of keeping water from creeping into the boots during warm days. Could care less what they look like when my feet are warm and dry.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
"body heat privilege" ?? :roflmao:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
"body heat privilege" ?? :roflmao:

Said with tongue just *slightly* in cheek.

But for real - people who run hot just don't get it.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
They help, but that's all. Not a magic bullet. When I use them, I roll the part at the toe back a bit.
This is exactly my experience. I worried about the toe-binding interface, so I cut the material a bit and roll it back, out of the way. The strap does not interfere with the anti-fiction plate.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I used to use them, rolling the toe a bit to make sure there wasn't a binding interface issue. But then I started wearing more clothes and have barely used them in recent years. Last year used them one day, even though we had plenty of below zero days. I find that it restricts access to my boot buckles and on cold days just unbuckling my boots for the chair ride is enough. I also always put my feet in WARM boots in a warm locker room, so it's hours before they even think of being cold. But, I did use them for years and it can help. Just don't put your feet in freezing cold boots then think this boot glove is going to warm them up. It just helps keep the warmth that is in the boots in, slowing down the cooling. They have no warmth of their own to add.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I'm seriously thinking of gluing some neoprene to my race boots (I don't race). What do y'all think of that idea?

It sounds less annoying than the boot gloves. Also less effective, but hey, can't have it all.

In the last couple of weeks, I've noticed that my feet get cold shortly before I get fully dressed to ski. In fact ... pretty much at the moment that I'm walking around in my long johns but am still wearing my regular, warm, wool socks. When I put on those long johns, I slide the "ankle" up to my calf to have them out of the way of the ski boot. So - I've recently started realizing that the slight constriction from pulling the tight part of the long johns up around my calf is reducing my circulation.

Sort of moot, as my feet are decently warm - but I'm wondering if I should yank real hard and pull the seams so that the ankle part is loosened.

Tominator

Totally in the present
Skier
I've used them for a few years.
I only use them if it's below 10 degrees.
(I don't ski if it's below 0.)
They're a bit of a pain to put on, but they don't get in the way of the binding and they work pretty well.
Downside: My friends say, "Practice safe skiing - wear boot condoms!"

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Yeah they work. They shred pretty quickly and the usual duct tape patch doesn't work on stretchy neoprene (anyone invented stretchy duct tape?) Bit of a pain if you like to leave your instep clip open (as it has no functional purpose beyond trapping nerves).

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
I've seen the neoprene foam boot covers sold with the Surefoot label. Boot Glove label, Surefoot label, same product. When you need them, you need them, and Surefoot was the only store with any in stock one trip at Whistler. One friend with Popsicle Toes uses Boot Gloves over her boots with Hotronic heaters.

I have mine in the bottom of the boot bag and dig them out around +10°F.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I'm seriously thinking of gluing some neoprene to my race boots (I don't race). What do y'all think of that idea?

I think Frost King sell a peel and stick foil faced duct insulation that would be both cheaper and lighter than neoprene. Not that I object to cutting up old wetsuits, mind.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Maybe. With the Boot Gloves you need to have the boots already warmed up before you put them on, in order for them to be effective. Assuming that boots with neoprene glued on are warmed up before you head out, that would keep the boots warmer, longer, though I would wonder whether the neoprene would keep the boots colder when you came in.

Last edited:

BLspruce2

Getting on the lift
Skier
I recommend boot gloves for cold weather as a first step. They are not perfect but they are only $30. If its a cold icy windy day you can tell the difference. Another possibility is thin neoprene in boot toe socks (called HOT Sockee's ) that you wear inside your boots. If you have room those might do the trick and those are only $15. The next step is up is heated liners or socks which are a couple hundred dollars and add a lot more complexity. Lenz look great but pricey. I wish that boot makers would make their own better version of added boot insulation. The boot glove concept is fine but boot gloves do not fit nor look great. There is a definate need for something better.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Most of these devices no not keep you warm but do their best to minimise the cold. As far as the liners, better skier are willing to forgo some warmth for a shell fit that is as close as possible to the foot..which means a very thin liner. We have to also realize, skiing is a winter sport and there are costs involved..and for some, that is warmth for the cost of performance.

MissySki

Rogue Assassin of Bad Puns.
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I disagree that you need to sacrifice warmth for performance. I wouldn’t be able to ski without my Hotronics, my feet get so painfully cold. The little heating element goes on your footbed, easy peasy.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I disagree that you need to sacrifice warmth for performance. I wouldn’t be able to ski without my Hotronics, my feet get so painfully cold.
I said you are reducing the cold, not so much keeping the foot warm, they do their best to neutralize the cold.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
When I worked at a shop that sold boot gloves I would tell potential buyers that they could count on a cold day of staying out for one more run before needing to come in vs skiing without them. I thought that was a good way of framing their effectiveness. Really, a good value for the $.

Sponsor