• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Never ending fis sl ski questions

KevinBai

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I’ve recently bent my racetiger slr wc thus I need to look for a new ski. I tried on my friends fischer(int verson,A04022) and 165 head sl fis, I do like the head when free skiing, feel like a powerhouse loll, however I do fell it harder to turn in the gates; on the other hand, I felt fischer(int version) really soft but I am awared that they have a national version(A04222, stiff version) which is more stiff and I am considering purches, just wondering how stiff it really is compare to the racetiger sl r wc(120862, with 3x titanium) And also I heard some head fis ski are given the fischer top sheet is that ture? If so can someone tell me where to buy it plz?
F956638A-9AAC-4D93-9013-862928847929.jpeg
9A3F376D-E923-4152-9A1B-EF340F59A68F.png

TS
K

KevinBai

Skier
um never a fun of atomic ski sorry and I think only var version is available here:(

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
And also I heard some head fis ski are given the fischer top sheet is that ture? If so can someone tell me where to buy it plz?
I believe for a short time in 2021, Head produced some Fischer-branded skis because a fire destroyed Fischer’s manufacturing facility in Ukraine. I don’t think that is continuing, but I could be wrong.

Jjmd

Putting on skis
Skier
Will be picking up some 2024 S9 fis redster SL 165’s on Wed for Thursday use, hard snow willing, and wonder if anyone has a feel for Atomic’s factory prep regarding bevel consistency etc.. I would prefer to just ski them a few times at Cannon where I instruct and then do a full race prep next season. Probably ski them less than 4 times before either snow gets too crappy or season ends.

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Will be picking up some 2024 S9 fis redster SL 165’s on Wed for Thursday use, hard snow willing, and wonder if anyone has a feel for Atomic’s factory prep regarding bevel consistency etc.. I would prefer to just ski them a few times at Cannon where I instruct and then do a full race prep next season. Probably ski them less than 4 times before either snow gets too crappy or season ends.

My last four pairs have come with very consistent 0.5/3.0 bevels and flat bases. Atomic does a great job in their race dept.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
My last 8 pairs were pretty much spot on. No complaints.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My last four pairs have come with very consistent 0.5/3.0 bevels and flat bases. Atomic does a great job in their race dept.

Is it possible this is a common thing among the brands? I mean attention to tune for the FIS ski. My Rossi FIS SL came at a perfect 0.5/3 as well.

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Is it possible this is a common thing among the brands? I mean attention to tune for the FIS ski. My Rossi FIS SL came at a perfect 0.5/3 as well.
Absolutely. I’d imagine all the serious brands pay attention to their FIS skis. Prior to switching to Atomic I was a Head guy. They did a great job on tune too.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
It is variable. Rossi/ dynastar until the last few years used to require a lot of work out of the wrapper. Normally I will do a quick check on a new pair and, unless it is way out of order will make a few runs on the, before I do anything

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a question for the FIS SL folks: How thick are your skis at the mount line? I'm curious how the brands compare. I shouldn't have sold my Rossignols, but I remember them being thicker than the other skis in my collection. My Ogasaka's are 19.2mm. My eRace Pros a mere 13.75mm.

blue

Putting on skis
Skier
It is variable. Rossi/ dynastar until the last few years used to require a lot of work out of the wrapper. Normally I will do a quick check on a new pair and, unless it is way out of order will make a few runs on the, before I do anything
I just ordered Rossi FIS SL skis in 165. Should I get it tuned when it arrive? Or am I good for half of a season?

smv

Booting up
Skier
Hello everyone,
Any opinions on the Elan ACE SLX FIS Wordcup plate @165? I‘ve read somewhere in this forum a comparison against the Rossi Hero FIS SL dated 2 yrs back, but nothing else on this ski ever since. Doesn’t seem to be a popular SL FIS ski, I wonder why… Anyone riden it?

Jjmd

Putting on skis
Skier
Anyone have any thoughts on how the Atomic redster s9 fis SL of the last few years ( I don’t think the ski has changed in the last few years other than the topsheet) compares to the other fis offerings. I skied my 2024 version a full day last Thursday but the snow went from not firm to manky pretty quickly, so it was hard to get a good feel. On the softer snow it felt like it had a much smaller sweet spot than a Head rd fis SL. The x var binding also seemed to have a smaller binding delta than my other race bindings. I found I had to ski the ski slightly differently to make it work but that was not a bad thing as it rewarded increased precision. It definitely felt more demanding than other SLs I have skied.

James

Out There
Instructor
That Rossi thread also has a lot of info that runs far afield.

TS
K

KevinBai

Skier
Also does anyone know what is different between the RC4 sl national stiff and medium? My coach told me that the only difference is the plate, and you can convert medium one into stiff one by simply using the stiff plate, the skis are all the same, is this true?

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
  • dbostedo
    Asst. Gathermeister