• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New! Anyone want to ski Chile this summer

Turoa Kiwi

JH
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I would love to join you
I was supposed to go last year for my 60th Birthday in August
With the way covid things are going there is NO way I'm leaving little ol' New Zealand for at least another year
I seriously though, wish you well

TS
Master-Blaster

Master-Blaster

Booting up
Skier
If I thought there was any chance in hell I'd be allowed out of the UK to travel to Chile this summer I'd be in in a heartbeat.
I am sorry that you can't leave the UK. I hear things are terrible in UK, FR, and GER. Would love to have someone join me.

Saintsman

Getting off the lift
Skier
I am sorry that you can't leave the UK. I hear things are terrible in UK, FR, and GER. Would love to have someone join me.

It's actually not bad in the UK now - vaccination rate is very high, cases and deaths are low and dropping further even as we're unlocking. But travel to Chile is going to be off the cards for a long time for us. This summer, there's maybe 8 countries in the world that we'll be able to travel to without needing a long quarantine on return

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
In dire need to find ski partner(s) for a Chile trip to Valle Nevado this summer.
Early August- anyone game?

FWIW, Valle filed for bankruptcy last fall so I would be very careful when parting with your cash!

jimtransition

Out on the slopes
Skier
Sadly, I wouldn't count on anyone being allowed into Chile without quarantine this summer. Currently borders are shut to non residents and whilst their cases are dropping it's hard to say if things will improve fast enough. I have instructed in Portillo for the last 10 years, so really want to be there, but looking at other opportunities at the moment :(

TS
Master-Blaster

Master-Blaster

Booting up
Skier
Sadly, I wouldn't count on anyone being allowed into Chile without quarantine this summer. Currently borders are shut to non residents and whilst their cases are dropping it's hard to say if things will improve fast enough. I have instructed in Portillo for the last 10 years, so really want to be there, but looking at other opportunities at the moment :(
Hi Jimtransition what are your thoughts if you have your vaccine passport in hand?

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
I think traveling outside the country is going to be a challenge this summer. With that in mind anyone up for skiing Mt Hood :) We know that is a safe bet!

Saintsman

Getting off the lift
Skier
Seeing how Chile is on the US State Department's "Do Not Travel" list I don't think anyone's heading to Chile any time soon. @dovski - Mt Hood sounds great, but I don't think I'll be allowed into the States anytime soon, vaccine passport or otherwise. There are times that I wish I lived in a country with a more northerly latitude (and a decent hill or two)

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A lot of resorts didn't open last summer, as local skiers don't generate the required revenue to operate. That may be the case again this year. If you do book anything, make sure you have full cancellation insurance!!

jimtransition

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hi Jimtransition what are your thoughts if you have your vaccine passport in hand?
I am not sure how much it will help, I think that eventually vaccine passports will make travel easier, but it's just how quickly it can all get set up. I suspect entry into Chile will still require quarantine this summer, and lots of countries will require quarantine on return as well. Would be very very happy to be proved wrong though.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
There are times that I wish I lived in a country with a more northerly latitude (and a decent hill or two)
Britain's most southerly latitude is farther north than anywhere in the contiguous 48 states in the USA. Just how north do you want to be? I think what you probably need is some elevation.

jimtransition

Out on the slopes
Skier
Seeing how Chile is on the US State Department's "Do Not Travel" list I don't think anyone's heading to Chile any time soon. @dovski - Mt Hood sounds great, but I don't think I'll be allowed into the States anytime soon, vaccine passport or otherwise. There are times that I wish I lived in a country with a more northerly latitude (and a decent hill or two)
A Saintsman from the UK, you a Southampton fan?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I think you mean the Gulf Stream!
Really, it might be more about the Rockies and the winds, not the Gulf Stream. Maybe.

"The Gulf Stream-European climate myth
The panic is based on a long held belief of the British, other Europeans, Americans and, indeed, much of the world's population that the northward heat transport by the Gulf Stream is the reason why western Europe enjoys a mild climate, much milder than, say, that of eastern North America. This idea was actually originated by an American military man, Matthew Fontaine Maury, in the mid nineteenth century and has stuck since despite the absence of proof.

We now know this is a myth, the climatological equivalent of an urban legend. In a detailed study published in the Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society in 2002, we demonstrated the limited role that ocean heat transport plays in determining regional climates around the Atlantic Ocean..."

"...Hence:

1. Fifty percent of the winter temperature difference across the North Atlantic is caused by the eastward atmospheric transport of heat released by the ocean that was absorbed and stored in the summer.
  2. Fifty percent is caused by the stationary waves of the atmospheric flow.
  3. The ocean heat transport contributes a small warming across the basin."

But it's a very prevalent take that the gulf stream is what matters, so it's hard to find other references or writings on the gulf stream NOT being the dominant heat source for northern Europe.

Sponsor

Staff online