• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New backpack for 'taller' folk

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
I've been using a variety of Camelbak packs for 30 years, my current is a 8'ish year old Hawg. It's about 850 cubic inches of storage, and has a 100 oz bladder. It carries pretty much everything I like for long day rides into the backcountry, and doubles as my day pack for day ski tours and day hiking.

My only complaint is the fit and all the volume is in a very small space(height and width). When it's wedged full it literally feels like I have a couple basketballs strapped straight off my back and the waist belt rides up 'very high'. Any suggestions for a pack that has 850-1000 cubic inches, 100 oz of water that is 'longer'? Id like to carry the same amount of stuff, but closer to my body.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I also have an older Hawg. IIRC the Osprey I donated before moving a few years back was decidedly longer/taller.

And I've got a very tall friend who swears by Deuter packs, though I'm not sure whether that is solely related to his height or not.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've been using a variety of Camelbak packs for 30 years, my current is a 8'ish year old Hawg. It's about 850 cubic inches of storage, and has a 100 oz bladder. It carries pretty much everything I like for long day rides into the backcountry, and doubles as my day pack for day ski tours and day hiking.

My only complaint is the fit and all the volume is in a very small space(height and width). When it's wedged full it literally feels like I have a couple basketballs strapped straight off my back and the waist belt rides up 'very high'. Any suggestions for a pack that has 850-1000 cubic inches, 100 oz of water that is 'longer'? Id like to carry the same amount of stuff, but closer to my body.

Them EVOCs are always worth checking:

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ve had a Liftrider since it came out of kickstarter and have been happy with it. I’m tall and all torso and it fits me well.

Sponsor

Staff online