• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New boots or liners?

TS
Chip

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yet this year you skied 25 days straight? That’s 4-8 years of your normal skiing.

When you ski 3-6 days/year that has a different calculus in fitting then skiing 25 days/year.

I’m willing to bet these boots were never really appropriate for that level of skiing. That’s why I asked about the shell fit.

Upper cuff always comes more into play on steep terrain or when lots of, I guess we’ll call it, non centripetal push back from the snow. Like chopped powder or chunky stuff that inputs random forces into the boot.
Agreed.
This was the last 7 days of that 25, so before that everything was fine. I will say the top of the cuff area was always a little loose, but never had any issues like I experienced at the end of my trip. I will mention this to my fitter. There was a bunch of steeps being skied over the course of the 25 days, so I would bet that the cuff area of the liner was getting packed out or just tired.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
So this was during my Utah/Colo trip back in Feb/Mar- skied 25 days straight and it was towards the end of the trip. Something changed in the boot/liner where the skis were just slower to react to the inputs. But once I buckled up a little bit tighter, then everything was back to normal. If my skiing changed due to this, then it was in my head.
My cuff buckles are normally not tight- and I don't even buckle the two clog buckles- and still didn't when this was going on as it didn't help at all.

The first day I noticed it was the last day I skied with @Jim Kenney at Snow Bird. It was really on the steeper terrain where it was very noticeable. On groomers it had no impact. So I just wrote it off to I was just tired after a couple of big ski days. The next day during my second run of the morning I noticed it again. That's when I thought I may have mis-buckled my boots. Checked everything and it was all good. Took another run and the issue was still there. So I tightened the cuff buckles some and the issue went away.

I think after 12 years skiing with these boots (I checked)- it may be time for some new ones...

Definitely new boot time like everyone had suggested.

If you are skiing 25 days straight after a whole bunch of 6/7 days season. Usually there will be some technique changes. Usually for the better. You are probably getting to the front of the boot at the end of the 25 days period and noticed the buckles are loose. Congrats.

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
Well, if you were skiing with Mr. Kenney, at SnowBird, then there were likely plenty of steeps involved.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
You need new boots, don't throw good money at a 10 year old shell.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid