• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New Day - New Wisdom

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier
"You must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool."

Richard Feynman

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This one was dropped into my inbox a few weeks ago and for some reason it has been resonating with me.
Betzwood trailhead.jpeg

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
I am stuck between "I need to save money" and "You only live once"
There is an economic theory that says that telling young people to start saving right away is bad advice.

The idea is that you should spend to maximize your life in each stage. In your 20’s when income is low you spend everything, 30’s you spend everything perhaps to start a family and grow, 40’s you begin savings as income finally grows above core expenses, 50’s/60’s are maximum asset accumulation as other expenses decline.

This is how most people end up doing things because it aligns to their emotional habits, but I completely agree that it’s the best way to look at life finances. “Compound interest” is not some unified theory of the universe.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I am stuck between "I need to save money" and "You only live once"
^^^This reads more like an unresolved dilemma. Where is the New Wisedom part?

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Everyone thinks they have the best dop,
And none of them are wrong.
W. R. Purche

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
@Uncle-A That's because in quantum mechanics, things can be in multiple states at the same time, so, for example, a qubit in quantum computing is both off and on at the same time (called a superposition of states) whereas in classical computing a bit is either on or off. This leads me to the realization that dogs are partly quantum mechanical creatures, and the RobSN laws of hounds:
Law 1: All dogs have fangs at one end and a waggler at the other (<- I stole this from a children's book, but I liked it).
Law 2: All dogs are in a quantum mechanical superposition of states of <best dog and not best dog>. The superposition never collapses other than to best dog.
Law 3: Dogs are often a classical state and in the off position but can transition at lightning speed to on with use of words like "walk", "bone", "toy", and "play"

Uncle-A

Skier
WTF is a dop???

Doh: dog
So I have a difficult time when I type.
He who has no sin may cast the first stone.
It would be nice if someone could fix it because it is past the time when I can edit it.

Uncle-A

Skier
The most important investment you can make is in your mental and physical health. So if some of that investment is in fun adventures, well….
Isn't it why we ski?:)

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
So I have a difficult time when I type.
He who has no sin may cast the first stone.
It would be nice if someone could fix it because it is past the time when I can edit it.
Sorry, forgot the emoticon. I wasn't meaning to be critical, but rather helpful and perhaps a touch humorous. :rolleyes:

Here is the missing icon: :eek:

:roflmao: I googled the expression to see what you meant.

BTW, there is no time limit on editing that I'm aware of.

ilovepugs

The human form of the 100 emoji
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Isn't it why we ski?:)
This discussion is more timely than I realized it would be. I’m crying on the inside because I just realized I can’t spend money on a ski trip to Mammoth since I committed to investing in something (I promise it’s reputable) and the first tranche of capital is due soon. Doing one of those “save and invest money while you’re young” things…:huh:

Can’t really complain though, I spent almost three weeks out west in the 2022/2023 which is good for someone who’s not retired or independently wealthy!

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer

Sponsor

Staff online