• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New from Hokkaido, Japan

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Act now! Price goes up after this week.
Jstyle lodge looks terrific, and very convenient location.
I'll see if I can put together a group big enough to make it work.

shima

Dojo Owner, Sr Network Engineer, Skier
Skier
Greetings from northern island of Japan! Living here in Hokkaido and enjoy winter sports year after year where the pow never fails. Hope to see some of you soon on the slopes of Niseko, Kiroro, Rusutsu and Furano.
よろしくお願いします!
Skiing in Japan is on my "bucket list." I've been 4 times (I was a Japanese studies major for my BA and MA back in the day, I'm N3 level conversationally fluent in the 日本語能力試験. I have also still never been to Hokkaido, only Honshu and Kyushu on my travels so far. Last trip was before my daughter was born when I was still pregnant and her brother was only little over a year old. They're almost 4 and 5.5 years old now, so hopefully as the pandemic continues to become less of a travel and once they're both able to be vaccinated I can plan another Japan trip and maybe this time to Hokkaido in the next year or two!

@elemmac I could also go for some *proper* curry. Austin has some decent Japanese food, but I haven't had legit curry in a while.

TS
Y

YesHokkaido

Booting up
Skier
こんにちは!Great! Sapporo is famous for the curry soup and the aroma is just unbelievable. Hope your family can make it here when the border opens up!

shima

Dojo Owner, Sr Network Engineer, Skier
Skier
こんにちは!Great! Sapporo is famous for the curry soup and the aroma is just unbelievable. Hope your family can make it here when the border opens up!
I hope so too! I really miss my Japan trips and getting to use my Japanese regularly!

tjroaming

Booting up
Skier
Greetings from northern island of Japan! Living here in Hokkaido and enjoy winter sports year after year where the pow never fails. Hope to see some of you soon on the slopes of Niseko, Kiroro, Rusutsu and Furano.
Hi there I just joined the forum and noticed your post, which is good timing. I am planning a trip to Hokkaido next January (if they let us bad Aussies in by then) and have an eye on Furano as a destination. We are "mature" aged skiers with a teenager who is into boarding. We're all pretty good at getting down almost any pitch of slope and we want to base ourselves somewhere that has a good range of terrain for up to 4 days skiing and hopefully with plenty of powder. A friend of mine recommended Rusutsu but I see that accommodation there is very expensive and also I hear that Niseko can be very crowded with foreign tourists. On the other hand, Furano seems to have more options for accommodation and it sounds like it's less crowded and more "Japanese". I'm keen to hear your opinion of all of this, as a local!

TS
Y

YesHokkaido

Booting up
Skier
Hi there I just joined the forum and noticed your post, which is good timing. I am planning a trip to Hokkaido next January (if they let us bad Aussies in by then) and have an eye on Furano as a destination. We are "mature" aged skiers with a teenager who is into boarding. We're all pretty good at getting down almost any pitch of slope and we want to base ourselves somewhere that has a good range of terrain for up to 4 days skiing and hopefully with plenty of powder. A friend of mine recommended Rusutsu but I see that accommodation there is very expensive and also I hear that Niseko can be very crowded with foreign tourists. On the other hand, Furano seems to have more options for accommodation and it sounds like it's less crowded and more "Japanese". I'm keen to hear your opinion of all of this, as a local!
Hi, Greetings from Furano, Hokkaido. We operate Jstyle in Furano, Asahikawa, and Sapporo. I racked up 33 days in Furano, 12 days in Niseko and 2 days in Kiroro last season, and I can tell you if you are looking for a setting that is more Japanese and less expensive, Furano is definitely a good choice. The average overnight temperature is generally lower than Niseko and the consistent slow through January delights skiers and boarders both with fresh Japow. The vertical drops are usually less than 1000 meters here in Hokkaido so please do not expect some bars or rest areas on the way down. If this is your first time and want to spend lots of cash, go for Niseko. It has more onsen, deluxe hotels, and more slops than Furano. But if you only have four days, go for Furano, and you not only go get the bang for your buck but also enjoy good Japanese and western cuisines in town as well. If you are planning to stay 7 to 10 days, a room with a kitchen will definitely delight your taste buds by cooking with some Hokkaido seafood. If you do not have a car, calling for a taxi is a pain for both Furano and Niseko. Niseko has a city-run mini-bus hopping from resort to resort whereas Furano has none. By the way, the resort was purchased by a Singapore company from Prince Hotel this year, and we are looking forward to some positive changes in the next few years.

Last edited:

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
In addition to @YesHokkaido comments above, @tjroaming, I can fill you in from my Rusutsu season pass experience from ‘17-18. I thoroughly enjoyed Rusutsu and it would definitely provide plenty good skiing for 4 days for your family

Just about every Monday morning, I rode the complimentary bus from Sapporo to Rusutsu, stashed my belongings in a season locker, and skied the resort until Maiko of SetsuGetsuKaro (SGK) B&B/ hostel in Kimobetsu, a small farming town, generously picked me up in time to bath before dinner is served.
You can use translator for her blog.
I ski toured Tu/Wed/Thu with Niisan, an older gentleman who spends every winter in a mini RV at SGK whom I befriended. Then Maiko drove me back to Rusutsu Friday so I ski the resort again until the afternoon shuttle back to Sapporo for me to rejoin family @YesHokkaido. I’m not sure if Maiko still provides transfer service (20 minutes away) but you can contact her directly for info. I’ve also certainly helped her entertain some Aussie and Kiwi guests and showed them around the resort that winter.

Furano would certainly offer you tons of dining options and more western luxury, but Maiko offers an authentic Japanese home experience which I treasure. I understand her more modest accommodation may not work for everyone.

Enjoy your Japow adventure!!!

Last edited:

tjroaming

Booting up
Skier
In addition to @YesHokkaido comments above, @tjroaming, I can fill you in from my Rusutsu season pass experience from ‘17-18. I thoroughly enjoyed Rusutsu and it would definitely provide plenty good skiing for 4 days for your family

Just about every Monday morning, I rode the complimentary bus from Sapporo to Rusutsu, stashed my belongings in a season locker, and skied the resort until Maiko of SetsuGetsuKaro (SGK) B&B/ hostel in Kimobetsu, a small farming town, generously picked me up in time to bath before dinner is served.
You can use translator for her blog.
I ski toured Tu/Wed/Thu with Niisan, an older gentleman who spends every winter in a mini RV at SGK whom I befriended. Then Maiko drove me back to Rusutsu Friday so I ski the resort again until the afternoon shuttle back to Sapporo for me to rejoin family @YesHokkaido. I’m not sure if Maiko still provides transfer service (20 minutes away) but you can contact her directly for info. I’ve also certainly helped her entertain some Aussie and Kiwi guests and showed them around the resort that winter.

Furano would certainly offer you tons of dining options and more western luxury, but Maiko offers an authentic Japanese home experience which I treasure. I understand her more modest accommodation may not work for everyone.

Enjoy your Japow adventure!!!
Thanks for your info @Rainbow Jenny , that's very helpful.

Where you said you "ski toured" do you mean you went cross-country or Nordic? One of our party is interested in doing some x-country in Japan (most likely around Aizu) but it's difficult to find any info about it so I'm interested to find out how common it is and if you can easily find hire equipment. Any ideas?

tjroaming

Booting up
Skier
Hi, Greetings from Furano, Hokkaido. We operate Jstyle in Furano, Asahikawa, and Sapporo. I racked up 33 days in Furano, 12 days in Niseko and 2 days in Kiroro last season, and I can tell you if you are looking for a setting that is more Japanese and less expensive, Furano is definitely a good choice. The average overnight temperature is generally lower than Niseko and the consistent slow through January delights skiers and boarders both with fresh Japow. The vertical drops are usually less than 1000 meters here in Hokkaido so please do not expect some bars or rest areas on the way down. If this is your first time and want to spend lots of cash, go for Niseko. It has more onsen, deluxe hotels, and more slops than Furano. But if you only have four days, go for Furano, and you not only go get the bang for your buck but also enjoy good Japanese and western cuisines in town as well. If you are planning to stay 7 to 10 days, a room with a kitchen will definitely delight your taste buds by cooking with some Hokkaido seafood. If you do not have a car, calling for a taxi is a pain for both Furano and Niseko. Niseko has a city-run mini-bus hopping from resort to resort whereas Furano has none. By the way, the resort was purchased by a Singapore company from Prince Hotel this year, and we are looking forward to some positive changes in the next few years.
Thanks @YesHokkaido. I think we will go for Furano. I'm looking at a deal from Hotel Naturwald Furano that sounds good.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Where you said you "ski toured" do you mean you went cross-country or Nordic?
Cross country and Nordic are the same thing. Ski Touring is usually skinning uphill (or maybe some hiking), and alpine skiing downhill.

Last edited:

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@tjroaming, I have a day zero on a thru-hike, hence delayed in reply.

I meant backcountry skiing using AT gear, in particularly, around Niseko backcountry. Although one can also use nordic skis with metal edges... the lines really blur.

I also regularly nordic (classic) skied in Nakajima Koen, a city park in Sapporo. They offer free equipment and no admission fee. The Japanese family in Kimobetsu I stayed with has 3 nordic ski racing kids. I watched them race and win sacks of local potatoes for prizes :roflmao: and met a couple Japanese nordic ski Olympians, so I imagine you can find opportunities to do so.

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Info on Aizu in this discussion thread.

tjroaming

Booting up
Skier
Info on Aizu in this discussion thread.
Perfect! Thank you :cool:

Turoa Kiwi

JH
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hey Bob, just sending an early video of Asahidake in Daisetsusan where it turns into a powder paradise in the winter. . Attached is a link detailing Asahidake https://www.powderskijapan.com/asahidake/. A buck list for many people even here in Hokkaido.
We did a day trip to Asahidake from Furano in 2011. We had a great day doing laps off the tram. Knee to waist deep light fluffy powder. And the volcano quietly steaming away half way up the mountain made it even more spectacular Highly recommend Hokkaido as a destination

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This article contains more lift assisted sidecountry/backcountry skiing for several Hokkaido resorts, including Furano, Kiroro, and Rusutsu. I’d carry beacon, probe, and shovel when skiing the areas described.

locknload

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Welcome and love the the Japan stoke is building on this thread...bucket list more me too..definitely the next 1 to 2 years.....!

clewis

Booting up
Skier
Planning a trip to Hokkaido for January. Does anyone have an idea for a food budget? Middle of the road budget. We're not dirt bagging it but not looking to hit the high end stuff either. We plan to be ski touring most of the time. Will eat out a bit but also buy groceries. And of course sample some beer.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Japanese food in Japan is good and mostly very inexpensive.
Just stay away from the tourist restaurants in Niseko and you're unlikely to exceed your budget.

Sponsor

Staff online