• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New from Hokkaido, Japan

Turoa Kiwi

JH
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Planning a trip to Hokkaido for January. Does anyone have an idea for a food budget? Middle of the road budget. We're not dirt bagging it but not looking to hit the high end stuff either. We plan to be ski touring most of the time. Will eat out a bit but also buy groceries. And of course sample some beer.
Make sure you have a translator app of some sort to work out what some supermarket packaged food is, as everything is labelled obviously in Japanese.
We went to a supermarket in Niseko and grabbed a sealed bag with what looked like shredded chicken in a (maybe) tomato? sauce.
Nope. It wasn't chicken and it smelt like sh.t. Didn't eat it. Couldn't eat it.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
@Rainbow Jenny, I'll be in Niseko for at least six days from Jan 12.
Probably heading up to Furano for a few days on the 18th.
Lets make a few runs together if you're around either.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Snow reports are given daily for major resorts; also information on toast :roflmao:

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks, Jim. Will be in touch. The stars may align this time for a few turns finally.

Gotta figure out what the family plan is, with niece and nephew also returning to Sapporo for winter break. And will need to visit more family in Taiwan whom I haven’t seen for 4 years.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Planning a trip to Hokkaido for January. Does anyone have an idea for a food budget? Middle of the road budget. We're not dirt bagging it but not looking to hit the high end stuff either. We plan to be ski touring most of the time. Will eat out a bit but also buy groceries. And of course sample some beer.
Nothing was too expensive when I was there in 2020…food at resorts was very reasonable (and delicious), especially compared to the US resort. Convenience stores have a great selection of easy, grab and go snacks and meals…good food and cheap. We mostly grabbed breakfast and snacks from a convenience store, lunch at the resort, and dinner out…stayed within a middle-of-the-road budget.

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Bro took his family to Niseko Monday for an avy course and is skiing there the next 3 days, condition looking really good.

I'll try to get to Niseko on Jan 13 and see about meeting up with you finally after all these years. :daffy:

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
That'll be great, Jenny. Michael and I have been trying to meet up in Furano, but without any luck so far. Hoping to see him sometime this season.

clewis

Booting up
Skier
Hey,

Looking for a little info advice on transferring from the Narita Airport to the Haneda Airport. We have a about 3.5 hours to transfer. Train or bus are our options. Has anyone done this and have any tips?

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
I've never done it, but know the options well.
Tip 1: send your baggage direct to your ski lodgings by Yamato (Black Cat) express service; cheap and ultra-reliable
Tip 2: limo bus is easiest; tickets sold at kiosk in arrivals lobby and you just get on/off, but it can take time in heavy traffic
Tip 3: Keikyu ltd express trains direct from/to basement airport stations
Tip 4: post your arrival date/time and I can give you a train schedule plan

clewis

Booting up
Skier
Thanks Jim.

We arrive at 4:30pm Feb 6. From that I've can tell the limo bus will be our best bet. The Keisei skyliner train is another option but the timing might be tight, as we fly out of Haneda around 7:30.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier

clewis

Booting up
Skier
Thanks Jim.

We kinda found the same stuff you did. It's nice to have another opinion. We will be taking the bus.

Sponsor

Staff online