• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New (from) Jersey here

Algonar

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hey all,

34 y.o intermediate, just joined, happy to be here and meet you all!
Looking for ski resorts recommendations (and a good bootfitter! Does such a thing exist around the NJ area?) around NJ/NY/PA :)

Last edited:

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Welcome you will find so many people on here from you part of the country. Not like me; my boot fitter and I are both in Spokane Washington.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Hey all,

Looking for skis recommendations (and a good bootfitter! Does such a thing exist around the NJ area?) around NJ/NY/PA :)
You're better off getting boots were you usually ski. Being able to come off the hill and right to the shop for adjustments is essential to getting a proper fit.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hey all,

Looking for ski resorts recommendations (and a good bootfitter! Does such a thing exist around the NJ area?) around NJ/NY/PA :)
NJ sucks for skiing.

Camelback is alright, in Tannersville, PA, or go farther to the Elk Mountain area.

NY: you have your usual Hunter, but I prefer Belleayre, for your Catskills.

Boot fitter:
Ski Barn in Wayne, as they picked up Heino's bootfitter.

Or if you go to Midtown Manhattan, there is Jeff Rich of US Orthotic Center (one of the masterminds behind America's Best Bootfitter program), though his insoles are different from ABB's products, as he builds a custom orthotic from the ground up, starting with taking a mold of your feet.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hey all,

North or South Jersey?

TS
A

Algonar

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Thanks for the replies, everyone!
Answering chronologically:

You're better off getting boots were you usually ski. Being able to come off the hill and right to the shop for adjustments is essential to getting a proper fit.

I plan to ski nearby (probably hit Camelback every other weekend) and test the fit pre-season in the "Big Snow" indoor slope (which is admittedly extremely short but with 2 hours at a time, I hope I can get a good enough feel for the fit) then go back to the fitter for adjustments.

NJ sucks for skiing.

Camelback is alright, in Tannersville, PA, or go farther to the Elk Mountain area.

NY: you have your usual Hunter, but I prefer Belleayre, for your Catskills.

Boot fitter:
Ski Barn in Wayne, as they picked up Heino's bootfitter.

Or if you go to Midtown Manhattan, there is Jeff Rich of US Orthotic Center (one of the masterminds behind America's Best Bootfitter program), though his insoles are different from ABB's products, as he builds a custom orthotic from the ground up, starting with taking a mold of your feet.

I know...if I could, I'd live in Colorado haha - but it is what it is.
Thanks for that recommendation - do you know how they compare to MtEverest in Westwood? They are recommended in ABB's website and much closer than both Wayne and Manhattan.

North or South Jersey?

Bergen County.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Thanks for the replies, everyone!
Answering chronologically:

I plan to ski nearby (probably hit Camelback every other weekend) and test the fit pre-season in the "Big Snow" indoor slope (which is admittedly extremely short but with 2 hours at a time, I hope I can get a good enough feel for the fit) then go back to the fitter for adjustments.

I know...if I could, I'd live in Colorado haha - but it is what it is.
Thanks for that recommendation - do you know how they compare to MtEverest in Westwood? They are recommended in ABB's website and much closer than both Wayne and Manhattan.

Bergen County.
As mentioned above. Greg at Ski Barn, formerly of Heino's is the man to see in the area.

Jersey Skier

Skier
I am having lots of fun at Big Snow. Practicing skills, meeting some great people on the lift.
You know, I totally forget this place exists less than 30 minutes away.
Maybe I'll check it out the next time it rains on my day off.
Powder skis?

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
You know, I totally forget this place exists less than 30 minutes away.
Maybe I'll check it out the next time it rains on my day off.
Powder skis?

I wouldn’t say powder skis. It is pretty nice man made; I would describe it as sandy. Damn wonderful for summer skiing in Jersey!

That said, I’ve been skiing on my old Blizzard Quattros, maybe a 76 base? And wishing I had my Black Pearl 82s, so I didn’t have to work so hard in the chop. (My BPs are summering in Vermont.) The grooming is a little uneven. I don’t own anything wider (Ski the East!) but maybe wider would be nice. We could ask @Olesya C , or anyone else who has skied Big Snow who would have more experience.

Jersey Skier

Skier
I wouldn’t say powder skis. It is pretty nice man made; I would describe it as sandy. Damn wonderful for summer skiing in Jersey!

That said, I’ve been skiing on my old Blizzard Quattros, maybe a 76 base? And wishing I had my Black Pearl 82s, so I didn’t have to work so hard in the chop. (My BPs are summering in Vermont.) The grooming is a little uneven. I don’t own anything wider (Ski the East!) but maybe wider would be nice. We could ask @Olesya C , or anyone else who has skied Big Snow who would have more experience.
That's ok, I was joking. Figured I'd use whatever turns the most.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
Mt. Everest replaced Ski Barn for the pre-season Giants Stadium sale.

Olesya C

Always learning
Skier
That's ok, I was joking. Figured I'd use whatever turns the most.
LOL you will probably be fine on whatever skis you have. I used all mountain ski 85 mm wide and so did a few of my other friends. It's pretty nice snow actually, it's too bad that the slope is so short, but still a very fun thing to do in summer or pre-season in the fall.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Boots fitter: Billy Kaplan, a couple hour drive from you but well-worthwhile. honestly, the best guy up or down the east coast.

Performance Pedorthics.

I'm from Morris county, then Hunterdon. Move out west and make the pain go away. :).

tube77

Getting on the lift
Skier
Boots fitter: Billy Kaplan, a couple hour drive from you but well-worthwhile. honestly, the best guy up or down the east coast.

Performance Pedorthics.

I'm from Morris county, then Hunterdon. Move out west and make the pain go away. :).

I heard a lot about him.
How does he work? Does he have his own boot shop or I bring my own boots that need a fit?
How much is the his rate if you might recall?
I dont know if it’s worth two hours of drive round trip for couple of times..

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I heard a lot about him.
How does he work? Does he have his own boot shop or I bring my own boots that need a fit?
How much is the his rate if you might recall?
I dont know if it’s worth two hours of drive round trip for couple of times..
He has hos own fitting/custom shop. He does not sell boots. He will make suggestions if you come in in need of boots. As far as what he charges, you will need to check with him.