• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New Gravel Bike - Guidance

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm trying to get into the sport so I have something to do when there isn't snow on the ground and I want something fairly future proof to replace an entry level model I purchased a bit ago.

Any thoughts on the Trek Checkpoint SL6 vs. Specialized Diverge Carbon Comp vs. Santa Cruz Stigmata CC Rival or GRX? I'm also looking at the ~$3K bikes like a Checkpoint SL5 but I think the primary motivation for that would be a feeling the more expensive ~$4,500 options I just listed aren't a noticeable enough performance improvement vs. the relatively similar $3K offerings, whereas between the $4,500 options I think there is a bit more feature variability between bikes. I do feel very strongly I want a hydraulic brake system due to some previous falls many years ago, so I didn't see a ton of <$3k options as viable.

Trail mix is evolving. I do think at the margin a damper bike that is better on inconsistent surfaces like tree roots would be an advantage based on the riding I've already done. A very big thing for me is durability given I am pretty hard on gear generally, so a better warranty or higher quality build materials seem like nice things about the Santa Cruz bikes. I'm not sure if you're paying a big brand tax for those benefits. The Trek has the most impressive "feature list" but I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad one as they may create more points of failure. Specialized is more middle of the road it seems like.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Sorry if this is the wrong forum for this question, haven't used the bike side of this site before.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
How is inventory on gravel bikes, is it what you want or what you will take?

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
If you're riding roots, you may be better off with an XC MTB. I wouldn't be that happy with drop bars on roots...

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Exactly how hard are you on your bike? Are you hucking cliffs and stuff? Like Scott said, maybe a MTB might be a better choice . Most all gravel bikes I've seen are pretty robust, but they're not Enduros

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
For actual gravel riding, I've got a Checkpoint SL6 and it's great. I did upgrade the wheels to some lighter carbon items and the bars to some lighter/damper versions, and added a Redshift flexstem to be kind to my goofed up hand.

But there was no SL7 when I got my SL6. If I were doing it today, I'd just go with the SL7, which comes with the wheels, but not the bars.

Finally, if I were going to ride really rough roads, or much single track at all, I'd get a hardtail mtb with front suspension. So much more enjoyable, unless you really like to suffer! :ogbiggrin:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Trail mix is evolving. I do think at the margin a damper bike that is better on inconsistent surfaces like tree roots would be an advantage based on the riding I've already done. A very big thing for me is durability given I am pretty hard on gear generally, so a better warranty or higher quality build materials seem like nice things about the Santa Cruz bikes. I'm not sure if you're paying a big brand tax for those benefits. The Trek has the most impressive "feature list" but I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad one as they may create more points of failure. Specialized is more middle of the road it seems like.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Sorry if this is the wrong forum for this question, haven't used the bike side of this site before.

Have you actually ridden these bikes?

Spesh is by a fair bit more descent/impact* stability oriented and shouldn't be thought of as 'middle of the road' among those three. It does, however, have a lower BB and crossing BIG roots or climbing out of deep ruts will mean more pedal awareness needed - and good ratcheting habits.

Feature lists are great - but nothing beats actually riding the thing and seeing which one works with your pedaling style and which one bogs down when you're seated.

*specifically looking at a front wheel rock/pothole/root impact tank-slapper scenario.

Last edited:

princo

Getting off the lift
Skier
The new Checkpoints now have threaded T47 bottom brackets (hallelujah!). The previous generation used pressfit bottom brackets and that was the only gripe I had with them. Mine cracked the BB and there are plenty of cases of Trek pressfit creaking BBs. So caveat emptor if buying pre 2022 models. Gravel Bikes take a beating on proper gravel surfaces (chips, rocks flying, etc). Consider the Aluminum frames of the Checkpoint and Diverge. For example, the difference in weight of the Checkpoint SL5 and ALR5 that have similar components is 21.39 vs 21.5 lbs (negligible albeit no ISOSpeed). If budget is flexible, take a look at titanium frames (Linskey, Moots, etc).

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
If you're riding roots, you may be better off with an XC MTB. I wouldn't be that happy with drop bars on roots...

Hehe, I once had a whole thread on how normal roadie-style lever/bar combos beat the fk out your fingers on roots...

If you're riding with others, you want to be on the same general kind of bike they're on.

QFT. For example, if your group is all riding wide-tire 'allroads' with semi crit geometry and you show up with an 'adventure' Ritchey Ascent, you will get dropped on paved rollers or on low-angle headwind climbs. Like <5 miles in.

Last edited:

scott43

Skier
Hehe, I once had a whole thread on how normal roadie-style lever/bar combos beat the fk out your fingers on roots...

QFT. For example, if your group is all riding wide-tire 'allroads' with semi crit geometry and you show up with an 'adventure' Ritchey Ascent, you will get dropped on paved rollers or on low-angle headwind climbs. Like <5 miles in.
Yeah roots are evil. Suspension fork plus wide bar helps a lot. Unless you have unlimited jam and can manhandle it all for your whole ride. After an hour I'm too tired to keep using active tactics to beat them.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

Unless you have unlimited jam and can manhandle it all for your whole ride. After an hour I'm too tired to keep using active tactics to beat them.

Yeh, funny you mention - I just got in from a shade-surfing jaunt (is it dry? or is it still 5" muck?) and let the legs get lazy in the second hour, just as we hit the jeep road.

5 seconds of forget to ratchet and boom - I'm making calls to the massage therapist for a shoulder appointment.

scott43

Skier
Yeh, funny you mention - I just got in from a shade-surfing jaunt (is it dry? or is it still 5" muck?) and let the legs get lazy in the second hour, just as we hit the jeep road.

5 seconds of forget to ratchet and boom - I'm making calls to the massage therapist for a shoulder appointment.
I seemed to always crash right after the start when the adrenaline got pumped out and my legs went dead, or after the first hour when I was just dog tired. Just a little less power at the wrong time and bam, on the ground.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I seemed to always crash right after the start when the adrenaline got pumped out and my legs went dead, or after the first hour when I was just dog tired. Just a little less power at the wrong time and bam, on the ground.

Not me. Until the last two years. It may be a permanent change. To fat.

davjr96

Getting off the lift
Skier
Who says suspension forks and gravel bikes are mutually exclusive? ;p I love my Lauf True grit

Full Carbon and AXS for under $4k to my door. They also recently release the "Seigla" with a bit more tire clearane.

scott43

Skier
Who says suspension forks and gravel bikes are mutually exclusive? ;p I love my Lauf True grit

Full Carbon and AXS for under $4k to my door. They also recently release the "Seigla" with a bit more tire clearane.
Yeah you know, when FS first came out donkey years ago, I most appreciated it on fast gravel washboard. This is partly why I'm experimenting with my XC MTB gravel mash up.

TS
A

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
How is inventory on gravel bikes, is it what you want or what you will take?

Limited inventory, but all the bikes I mentioned are in stock. Not sure there are a ton of other options I didn’t mention available in the same price zip code.

I’m doing a 50-50-ish mix of roads and not roads. I haven’t had a problem keeping up with people on roads with a gravel bike, but my understanding is a suspension is a big enough power suck that would be a harder task. I’m sort of hoping to build comfort on relatively non-technical descents to see if I want a full suspension mountain bike in the future but that’s not what this is and I know that.

Exactly how hard are you on your bike? Are you hucking cliffs and stuff? Like Scott said, maybe a MTB might be a better choice . Most all gravel bikes I've seen are pretty robust, but they're not Enduros

I’m a 200+ lb 6 ft tall person that likes going fast and I seem to have a “talent” for breaking ski gear.

That said, I’m definitely not doing anything that extreme on bikes and honestly still feel like I’m learning a ton about bike handling. I would just like to be relatively confident if I walk away from a crash with a few bruises I didn’t just rip up $5k in addition to my elbows.

Have you actually ridden these bikes?

Spesh is by a fair bit more descent/impact* stability oriented and shouldn't be thought of as 'middle of the road' among those three. It does, however, have a lower BB and crossing BIG roots or climbing out of deep ruts will mean more pedal awareness needed - and good ratcheting habits.

Feature lists are great - but nothing beats actually riding the thing and seeing which one works with your pedaling style and which one bogs down when you're seated.

*specifically looking at a front wheel rock/pothole/root impact tank-slapper scenario.

Haven’t ridden any of them other than the SL6 very briefly. I don’t feel like I have much/any knowledge of bike builds so definitely helpful to know that the Specialized bike is a different focus.

Sponsor

Staff online