• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New guy from Alberta

Dubhain

Booting up
Skier
Hi, all!

Just wanted to introduce myself on here. Been lurking since the site started up, but finally decided to join.

I ski primarily at Marmot Basin, Nakiska, and Sunshine here in Alberta. I occasionally will get to Lake Louise and Panorama.

I'm looking forward to participating on here and discussing skiing with you all!

Mel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Welcome! I ski mostly at Sunshine - nice to have a few more Canadians posting here!

TS
Dubhain

Dubhain

Booting up
Skier
Thank you!

I was just skiing at Sunshine last weekend and conditions were spectacular! Got about 8 cm of fresh snow while I was there, plus around 10 cm the previous evening. I haven't skied Louise this season, but it looks like conditions there have been excellent too.

The only downside was the almost two hour line for the gondola to get up to the main resort from the base. Lift lines waits were fine though; a couple minutes at most.

Reactions: Mel
TS
Dubhain

Dubhain

Booting up
Skier
Welcome! I ski mostly at Sunshine - nice to have a few more Canadians posting here!

Thank you, Mel! I've mostly been skiing Nakiska this season with my season pass, but got a day here or there at Marmot or Sunshine.

Cannot believe the conditions this season! Or the lines. Parking lots have been filling up so quickly on the weekends but I can't ski midweek due to work.

Mel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thank you, Mel! I've mostly been skiing Nakiska this season with my season pass, but got a day here or there at Marmot or Sunshine.

Cannot believe the conditions this season! Or the lines. Parking lots have been filling up so quickly on the weekends but I can't ski midweek due to work.
I’m in the same boat regarding weekends - at least at SSV once you’ve dealt with the terrible gondola line up, everyone spreads out. Really hoping next season is closer to normal for everyone!

TS
Dubhain

Dubhain

Booting up
Skier
Welcome from the centre of the universe!! Friend and I are just planning a trip for next season. We're staying in Canmore and driving daily, using my Ikon pass.

That's what I usually do when I'm skiing at Sunshine or Nakiska too, since I'm in Edmonton and, while is doable as a day trip, it would be a lot of driving.

TS
Dubhain

Dubhain

Booting up
Skier
I’m in the same boat regarding weekends - at least at SSV once you’ve dealt with the terrible gondola line up, everyone spreads out. Really hoping next season is closer to normal for everyone!

Yes, I am glad that once people get to the lifts from the gondola, things move really well after that. Couldn't believe it when I got there last Saturday around 8:30 and the parking lot was already almost full. That's what I get for going on a Saturday, I guess.

TS
Dubhain

Dubhain

Booting up
Skier
D. heard anything about when border will open?

I haven't heard anything about when the border will open up. My guess would be that they will wait until a certain percentage of the population of both countries is vaccinated before opening the border. That is just my guess though.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
D. heard anything about when border will open?
The Canadian government is saying that everyone will be vaccinated by Sept. They probably mean just the first shot and coming from government I suspect that it is overly optimistic. Still the border should be open by the start of ski season but I am not counting on it and so I won't buy any multi resort pass for the 2021-22 season until the border actually opens.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Hi, all!

Just wanted to introduce myself on here. Been lurking since the site started up, but finally decided to join.

I ski primarily at Marmot Basin, Nakiska, and Sunshine here in Alberta. I occasionally will get to Lake Louise and Panorama.

I'm looking forward to participating on here and discussing skiing with you all!

Welcome to the show! This place is awesome!

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
Welcome.

I live in Calgary. There are a few Albertans here.

I mostly ski Louise, Kicking Horse, and Fernie. I also ski a lot of backcountry. Mostly in Rogers Pass or 93 North in the spring.

Old boot

Getting on the lift
Skier
That's what I usually do when I'm skiing at Sunshine or Nakiska too, since I'm in Edmonton and, while is doable as a day trip, it would be a lot of driving.
Come on fess up your really from PONOKA aren't ya???? er I mean welcome, maybe ski with ya in the white room!!

DreaminBoutPow

Amateur hour
Skier
Welcome! I did a week long trip to your area last season before COVID hit, 2 days each at Sunshine and Louise and 3 at Revelstoke. Really awesome country, people and skiing! Helps that we a couple shots of freshies too! Looking forward to getting back at some point. Enjoy, my ski season is over here in PA and the golf clubs and tennis racquets are coming out!

TS
Dubhain

Dubhain

Booting up
Skier
Come on fess up your really from PONOKA aren't ya???? er I mean welcome, maybe ski with ya in the white room!!

Haha! No, not from Ponoka. Been there a couple times though. Hoping to get a few more days on the slopes before the season is done, especially with all the snow they've been getting the past few days.

TS
Dubhain

Dubhain

Booting up
Skier
Welcome! I did a week long trip to your area last season before COVID hit, 2 days each at Sunshine and Louise and 3 at Revelstoke. Really awesome country, people and skiing! Helps that we a couple shots of freshies too! Looking forward to getting back at some point. Enjoy, my ski season is over here in PA and the golf clubs and tennis racquets are coming out!

That is great to hear that you enjoyed your time out this way last season!

We still have about a month and half left in the season here, since Sunshine is staying open until May 24th (assuming no early shutdown). The weather we've been getting this week (apart from in the mountains) is better suited to golf clubs and tennis racquets though.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Welcome I grew up in Alberta, but have not lived there in over 20 years. I do however still do an annual ski trip to Banff/Lake Louise, though not this year with the border closure. Looking forward to getting back to the Canadian Rockies next season though

Sponsor