• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New guy in PA

DreaminBoutPow

Amateur hour
Skier
Hey guys,

Just wanted to drop by and introduce myself. Based in Schuylkill County, PA, about 1-2 hours from most eastern PA ski areas (ski most frequently at Montage or Roundtop). Been skiing for about 20 years now, and consider myself an advanced skier but certainly not a true "expert". Lived in SLC, UT from 2011-2013 and skied mostly Snowbird/Alta, then from 2013-2016 in Bellingham, WA and skied 3 seasons at Baker. Now I get a couple trips to either the west or New England each year, and bang out groomers and bumps in PA for the rest of my days. Get around ~20 days a season now. 31 and married with no kids yet, and day job as a product manager at an aerospace company. Recreation time that isn't skiing is spent running, hiking, golfing, and playing tennis mostly.

Anywho, enough about me. Lurked on here for a while and read a lot of great content and figured I should jump in! Looking forward to learning, listening and discussing with y'all!

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Welcome to SkiTalk! Must be a little rough skiing-wise, moving to PA after UT and WA.

The end of the season is unfortunately rapidly approaching around here, but these are a couple of good seasonal threads... Montage would tend to show up in the Poconos/Eastern PA thread, and Roundtop could show up in either.

Last edited:

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Welcome from another PA skier. Although I typically do most of my skiing outside of PA. I find myself at Montage or Elk generally when I’m in PA. But have skied Roundtop a few times as well,

TS
DreaminBoutPow

DreaminBoutPow

Amateur hour
Skier
Thanks guys! Yeah season is almost over, sadly...time to idly ponder ski gear for 7 months or so!

As for meetups, I participate with a Philly area ski group who will be at Roundtop this Saturday for a late season slushfest, if anybody's planning to be there, let me know, maybe we can meet up. I'll jump on one of the threads above and kick that out there as well.

Reactions: BC.

Slemers

Getting off the lift
Skier
Now that the Covid restrictions have eased up you can use some PTO/VAC and come out to PNW and do some spring skiing. Timberline at Mt Hood skis very late in the year . I talked to Tom W an instructor at Mt Hood Meadows yesterday and he says it's good for a couple hours daily before it turns too mushy.
I worked in aviation for 30 years as a Professional Flight Engineer for a couple different carriers. It was a great career. On SEA layovers we would rent a car and Ski Baker on 3 day layovers. What a deal! :)
Welcome to the forum!

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@DreaminBoutPow Welcome! My husband hails from Schuylkill County and now we live in Berks.
I have a pass at Blue Mountain but do get to Montage with friends @tinymoose and @Large Squirrel .

One of my fave places is Alta. :)

Welcome to the forum! It’s a great community, a wealth of information, and a good place to make some new friends.

TS
DreaminBoutPow

DreaminBoutPow

Amateur hour
Skier
@DreaminBoutPow Welcome! My husband hails from Schuylkill County and now we live in Berks.
I have a pass at Blue Mountain but do get to Montage with friends @tinymoose and @Large Squirrel .

One of my fave places is Alta. :)

Welcome to the forum! It’s a great community, a wealth of information, and a good place to make some new friends.

Here's what I want to know - what is the size comparison between a tiny moose and a large squirrel?? :ogbiggrin:

Thanks for the welcome, yes you're very close by!

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hi from a former PA skier now at Killington. My favorites were Blue, Elk, and Jack Frost. Next year come visit us here and at other fine NE resorts. Perhaps best would be the NE Gathering wherever it's held!

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Perhaps best would be the NE Gathering wherever it's held!
Saddleback has the early lead in my mental poll of random comments from this season... but it's up to @KevinF.

There's also likely to be a Mid-A Gathering, with Timberline the leader in the clubhouse.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Saddleback has the early lead in my mental poll of random comments from this season... but it's up to @KevinF.

There's also likely to be a Mid-A Gathering, with Timberline the leader in the clubhouse.
I can't respond with a "like" since Killington got skipped through no fault of it's own. End of March as usual brings our Spring Pass into play for an affordable weekend.

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

I can't respond with a "like" since Killington got skipped through no fault of it's own. End of March as usual brings our Spring Pass into play for an affordable weekend.

big1russ

Booting up
Skier
Hey guys,

Just wanted to drop by and introduce myself. Based in Schuylkill County, PA, about 1-2 hours from most eastern PA ski areas (ski most frequently at Montage or Roundtop). Been skiing for about 20 years now, and consider myself an advanced skier but certainly not a true "expert". Lived in SLC, UT from 2011-2013 and skied mostly Snowbird/Alta, then from 2013-2016 in Bellingham, WA and skied 3 seasons at Baker. Now I get a couple trips to either the west or New England each year, and bang out groomers and bumps in PA for the rest of my days. Get around ~20 days a season now. 31 and married with no kids yet, and day job as a product manager at an aerospace company. Recreation time that isn't skiing is spent running, hiking, golfing, and playing tennis mostly.

Anywho, enough about me. Lurked on here for a while and read a lot of great content and figured I should jump in! Looking forward to learning, listening and discussing with y'all!

Where at in the Skook? I moved to PA and lived in Schuylkill County for 6 years after after college. I bounced around quite a bit, moved at the end of every lease looking for something I liked. The housing is so much different from what I was used to in Texas. Spent a year in Pottsville, a year in Nesquehoning (Carbon County), a year in Ashland, a year in Frackville, a year in Schuylkill Haven, and then another year in Frackville. Absolutely beautiful area nature wise, I still miss hiking and camping in PA.

TS
DreaminBoutPow

DreaminBoutPow

Amateur hour
Skier
Where at in the Skook? I moved to PA and lived in Schuylkill County for 6 years after after college. I bounced around quite a bit, moved at the end of every lease looking for something I liked. The housing is so much different from what I was used to in Texas. Spent a year in Pottsville, a year in Nesquehoning (Carbon County), a year in Ashland, a year in Frackville, a year in Schuylkill Haven, and then another year in Frackville. Absolutely beautiful area nature wise, I still miss hiking and camping in PA.

I'm in Cressona, just outside Schuylkill Haven. It's a very unique area with the coal country culture, but I agree there are a ton of really beautiful hiking and camping areas around here! The Pinnacle and Pulpit Rock trails near Hamburg are my personal favorites around here.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid