• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New Jeep New Decisions

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Hi All,

So last minute we took the plunge and traded in our 2018 MDX for a brand new Jeep Grand Cherokee 4xe PHEV. Why? Well simply put this was a very good deal. The Jeep PHEV still qualifies for the $7500 EV tax credit, Jeep has sent me multiple cash rebate offers (which actually stack) so had an additional $3750 from Jeep and the dealership was offering us top top $$ on our trade in. Couple that with the fact that the new Jeep can drive 25 miles in pure EV mode and gets a combined 56 MPG vs our MDX which on a good day gets 18 MPG but needs premium gas and the financials made a lot of sense as we essentially picked up the vehicle for over $11K below MSRP and also covered over 50% of the actual vehicle cost with our trade in. I also think that the new Grand Cherokee 4xe is much nicer than our MDX and perfectly suited for our ski vacations.

So this brings me to where I need some advice. The Jeep comes standard with flush roof rails, but it is so new they do not yet have the crossbars or running boards available (likely a month out). So the question is do I wait for the Jeep corssbars and running boards to come out or should I get aftermarket? Curious as to what others have done and more importantly what would be a better choice regardless of availability. We have an Inno roof box and load it up for every ski trip with 6 pairs of skis, boots and helmets so want to make sure whatever we do can handle that kind of weight during highway driving. Sometimes we also strap on a Sporttube with an additional two pairs of skis, so easily have a combined 150-200lbs on our roof rack. The MDX has handled that like a pro so want to make sure our Jeep does the same. Any and all advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hi All,

So last minute we took the plunge and traded in our 2018 MDX for a brand new Jeep Grand Cherokee 4xe PHEV. Why? Well simply put this was a very good deal. The Jeep PHEV still qualifies for the $7500 EV tax credit, Jeep has sent me multiple cash rebate offers (which actually stack) so had an additional $3750 from Jeep and the dealership was offering us top top $$ on our trade in. Couple that with the fact that the new Jeep can drive 25 miles in pure EV mode and gets a combined 56 MPG vs our MDX which on a good day gets 18 MPG but needs premium gas and the financials made a lot of sense as we essentially picked up the vehicle for over $11K below MSRP and also covered over 50% of the actual vehicle cost with our trade in. I also think that the new Grand Cherokee 4xe is much nicer than our MDX and perfectly suited for our ski vacations.

So this brings me to where I need some advice. The Jeep comes standard with flush roof rails, but it is so new they do not yet have the crossbars or running boards available (likely a month out). So the question is do I wait for the Jeep corssbars and running boards to come out or should I get aftermarket? Curious as to what others have done and more importantly what would be a better choice regardless of availability. We have an Inno roof box and load it up for every ski trip with 6 pairs of skis, boots and helmets so want to make sure whatever we do can handle that kind of weight during highway driving. Sometimes we also strap on a Sporttube with an additional two pairs of skis, so easily have a combined 150-200lbs on our roof rack. The MDX has handled that like a pro so want to make sure our Jeep does the same. Any and all advice is appreciated.

Thanks
Hey congrats, I hope you love it. I’ve had a crossover hybrid for two years with about the same range. The e only range doesn’t tell the utility story with things like regenerative braking and downhill retained energy factored in.

If you don’t already have it, you might consider a high capacity circuit in the garage.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
The e only range doesn’t tell the utility story with things like regenerative braking and downhill retained energy factored in.

How has your pure 65mph+ highway mileage been, compared to the EPA rating?

(I've been on about this before, I think there is yet another story to be told there with most consumer-level platforms).

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
How has your pure 65mph+ highway mileage been, compared to the EPA rating?

(I've been on about this before, I think there is yet another story to be told there with most consumer-level platforms).
In those situations I‘m in hybrid mode as I think you’re assuming. Here in our mountainous areas I’m getting around 35-45 where I would typically go all e to near full discharge before my destination, to make full use of the battery. Yes 35-45 whereas the EPA is I think 21 combined. It has some fancy Porsche tech making it kind of a complicated vehicle which in the long run could be it’s downside. Otherwise it’s truly magical. Don’t ask me where EPA is getting 21 comb, I could get that on gas only. Maybe they don’t know how to drive it?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
In those situations I‘m in hybrid mode as I think you’re assuming.

I am, yes. And I think clever hybrids have an advantage in those situations over plain fossil or even plain turbofossil drivetrains, simply because the electric drive side can be more easily adapted to higher revs.

We can think of your 29mile e-only range as also being roughly the maximum distance between downhill/braking/regeneration events on 65mph highways that will sustain your observed hybrid performance.

You might have an aero altitude density advantage over the EPA, but the aero advantage simply can't be as big as the mpg gap you report, or we couldn't breathe.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am, yes. And I think clever hybrids have an advantage in those situations over plain fossil or even plain turbofossil drivetrains, simply because the electric drive side can be more easily adapted to higher revs.

You might have an aero altitude density advantage over the EPA, but the aero advantage simply can't be as big as the mpg gap you report, or we couldn't breathe.
Can’t explain it but I can prove it. Let’s say a ride where you can observe, with a dinner at stake. 50 mile round trip between Heber and PC. And as I mentioned it assumes taking a full battery down to 0 in the process.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Can’t explain it but I can prove it. Let’s say a ride where you can observe, with a dinner at stake. 50 mile round trip between Heber and PC. And as I mentioned it assumes taking a full battery down to 0 in the process.

In case it wasn't clear: I don't doubt your experience and I suspected as much.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
In case it wasn't clear: I don't doubt your experience and I suspected as much.
It is a mystery and just one component of the surprise package of benefits the hybrid’s provided. And dammit…I was hoping for a free dinner at say Grappa. :)

Last edited:

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We also bought a new GC Jeep. Not the hybrid. Those were not available and we "had" to buy right away because some damn fool on a cellphone rear-ended us and totaled the old one while we were a thousand miles from home.

We have absolutely loved our Jeeps. This is our third. But we too found to our dismay that the old (aftermarket) ski racks and rails will not go onto this one. I'll be following to see what you decide to do.

I hope you have the same luck and love for your new Jeep. Congratulations.

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier
The Jeep comes standard with flush roof rails, but it is so new they do not yet have the crossbars or running boards available (likely a month out). So the question is do I wait for the Jeep corssbars and running boards to come out or should I get aftermarket?

In my past experience, if the vehicle is so new that Jeep doesn't have accessories yet, it's likely that the major aftermarket players don't have any either as they need to get their hands on a vehicle before they can figure out what works. I've seen it take months or longer after a newly redesigned vehicle hits the market before Thule or Yakima have parts for it.

If the attachments end up being the same as the previous generation, then it doesn't take that much time, but if that was the case here Jeep would probably already have the parts available.

These are just my anecdotal observations over the years, I can't speak to your specific situation, so maybe you'll get lucky.

TS
dovski

dovski

Skier
So have dedicated 100AMP circuit with a Tesla charger on it and will be adding a second 32amp charger for the Jeep which has lots of rebates and tax credits now so all good on the charging front.

As for Cross Bars Thule and Yakima both have ones that fit, Jeep will have the Mopar ones in a month. Really curious if there is any advantage to Factory crossbars over aftermarket ones. Appreciate your insights.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Can't say on the new Jeep. But we had no name aftermarket crossbars and rack on the 2 old jeeps and never had an issue in 15 years.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I think you took a calculated risk with the new unproven vehicle and I am note sure I can fault you. As far as the cross bars, few vehicles have aftermarket offerings like Jeep. Very well much is directed to the Wrangler collection but the new GC also has a following. I would suggest starting with Jeep/GC forums for direction. While there might be skiers there, you wouldn't ask them ski questions, that is where i would start. ;)

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Many "factory" crossbars are OEMed by the two major players in the space.

TS
dovski

dovski

Skier
I think you took a calculated risk with the new unproven vehicle and I am note sure I can fault you. As far as the cross bars, few vehicles have aftermarket offerings like Jeep. Very well much is directed to the Wrangler collection but the new GC also has a following. I would suggest starting with Jeep/GC forums for direction. While there might be skiers there, you wouldn't ask them ski questions, that is where i would start. ;)
Agree we are rolling the dice a little on the new GC, though the reviews so far have been pretty stellar. It is also built on the same hybrid drive train as the Wrangler which came out last year. A big driver was our dissatisfaction with our MDX. To be clear we do not hate the MDX, this was our second one, but had enough issues with it and its fuel economy that we really wanted a change. The GC checked all the boxes in terms of features and functionality and the hybrid drive train gives it best in class fuel economy. It is also available right now with some great incentives and top dollar trade in value on our MDX, so financially it made a lot of sense. On the plus side it looks like Mopar just released the crossbars for it so will likely go with them.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
On the plus side it looks like Mopar just released the crossbars for it so will likely go with them.
Take a look on how they attach. One of the things that gave me confidence with the GM ones is that they bolted onto the side rails.

Sponsor