• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New Jersey Indoor Skiing Gathering

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Somehow I just bought a Big Snow ticket for 1:30 instead of for 1:15. My scanning abilities are poor and I couldn't find the option for quarter hour tickets, even though it was right there in plain sight.

Does anyone know if I can change the time at the counter once I get there? Has anyone tried to do this before?
I once accidentally chose the wrong date. I called them on the phone and they changed it for me.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Uncle-A this has been one of the most frustrating threads I’ve read on SkiTalk because I understood your point immediately. Haha.

Then you guys had bunch of posts where it seemed like you were going round and round and not speaking the same language… hence a frustrating thread to read. Ha!!
:roflmao:

I was one post away from inserting quoted post then attaching the following reply:

"Step 1 of Alcoholics Anonymous focuses on the admission that one is struggling with alcohol misuse, and that they need help to find recovery."

ogwink

Last edited:

Olesya C

Always learning
Skier
:roflmao:

I was one post away from inserting quoted post then attaching the following reply:

"Step 1 of Alcoholics Anonymous focuses on the admission that one is struggling with alcohol misuse, and that they need help to find recovery."

ogwink
You are right, I should just admit that I am an alcoholic. Would you like to be my designated driver? You did offer before. ;)

Olesya C

Always learning
Skier
I really don't want to talk about this again. But ok since this keeps coming up. Yes, I got defensive. FYI I don't have a problem with a warning that people with out of state plates are more likely to be pulled over. It's a reasonable warning and a fair point.

This past week I had a busy and a very stressful week at work. In addition, in the past few months, I have been coordinating multiple team building events and lunches for a large team that I am part of. The events took a lot of time to plan and were a success, but there was little appreciation for the effort that went into it. This was happening all the while I had a lot on my plate work wise. For those not aware - women frequently get stuck with those thankless tasks, like organizing lunches, team building events, holiday parties and so on, no matter their education level or career level. And no, these efforts don't help their careers. There are management/career articles on that out there.

The suggestion that we change restaurant for no logical reason (IMHO) and that I spend my precious time (during, busy, difficult and stressful time at work) looking for an alternative restaurant was triggering to me, because it seemed condescending and mansplainy (is that a word lol?) to me.

I realize it was not meant that way. It was meant with good intentions, and I am the one that is being overly sensitive and defensive.

Ok, now that I have spilled my guts to ya'll and admitted we had a pointless discussion above, I am really done with this topic!

Can we get back to discussing indoor skiing at Big Snow, please and thank you!

Last edited:
TS
Uncle-A

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I really don't want to talk about this again. But ok since this keeps coming up. Yes, I got defensive. FYI I don't have a problem with a warning that people with out of state plates are more likely to be pulled over. It's a reasonable warning and a fair point.

This past week I had a busy and a very stressful week at work. In addition, in the past few months, I have been coordinating multiple team building events and lunches for a large team that I am part of. The events took a lot of time to plan and were a success, but there was little appreciation for the effort that went into it. This was happening all the while I had a lot on my plate work wise. For those not aware - women frequently get stuck with those thankless tasks, like organizing lunches, team building events, holiday parties and so on, no matter their education level or career level. And no, these efforts don't help their careers. There are management/career articles on that out there.

The suggestion that we change restaurant for no logical reason (IMHO) and that I spend my precious time (during, busy, difficult and stressful time at work) looking for an alternative restaurant was triggering to me, because it seemed condescending and mansplainy (is that a word lol?) to me.

I realize it was not meant that way. It was meant with good intentions, and I am the one that is being overly sensitive and defensive.

Ok, now that I have spilled my guts to ya'll and admitted we had a pointless discussion above, I am really done with this topic!

I look forward to skiing on the 24th. It will be a good way to get rid of stress. It sounds like you have been through a lot of stress lately and I hope you enjoy the day.

ilovepugs

The human form of the 100 emoji
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

We all have our moments and rough weeks. Have fun at Big Snow!

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
You are right, I should just admit that I am an alcoholic. Would you like to be my designated driver? You did offer before. ;)
I may be the one in need of a designated driver -

Weekend skating MLK drive roadway moving at ~ 18mph and about to pass family walking side by side (same direction of travel), when their ~10 year old soccer kick dribbling a cheep plastic basket ball size ball which just then went sideways toward the curb. The kid decided to run after the ball!!!! I shouted NO!!!! The kid bolted to the curb, narrowly getting out of my way, as another ~ 6 year old who had been out of the way on the other side the older kid and next the father, decided to make a run for the curb too. Kid ran directly infront of me!!!!! My leg/skate collided with the smaller ~6 year old propelling me diagonally forward to the curb!!!! Kid was crying, two adults came to me, said the crying kid was ok, were more concerned about my injuries. The adults apologized, I replied, "it happens", paused for a moment and then said "eh, skating"!

IMG_5660.jpeg

IMG_5661.jpeg

IMG_5662.jpeg

IMG_5664.jpeg

Left bicep is now swollen black&blue/red bruising and very sore. Right elbow swollen and sore. Surgeon nextdoor neighbor checked me out, determined the elbow didn't need stitches and no torn rotator cuffs, Rx RICE therapy

I'm trying to remain optimistic about attending Big Snow, IDK

ilovepugs

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Your friend might think it a hoot that HER friend is going skiing indoors!
AND…..you’d get to bring your skis on the bus, in September! :roflmao:
So… she’s up for American Dream. We have a tradition of going on bus sojourns to large malls we’ve never been to before. Do I ditch her at a bookstore for an hour or so? Do I bring my skis on my flight? I can check a bag for free! Ahahaha.

ilovepugs

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Weekend skating MLK drive roadway moving at ~ 18mph and about to pass family walking side by side (same direction of travel), when their ~10 year old soccer kick dribbling a cheep plastic basket ball size ball which just then went sideways toward the curb. The kid decided to run after the ball!!!! I shouted NO!!!! The kid bolted to the curb, narrowly getting out of my way, as another ~ 6 year old who had been out of the way on the other side the older kid and next the father, decided to make a run for the curb too. Kid ran directly infront of me!!!!! My leg/skate collided with the smaller ~6 year old propelling me diagonally forward to the curb!!!! Kid was crying, two adults came to me, said the crying kid was ok, were more concerned about my injuries. The adults apologized, I replied, "it happens", paused for a moment and then said "eh, skating"!

View attachment 178608

View attachment 178609

View attachment 178610

View attachment 178611

Left bicep is now swollen black&blue/red bruising and very sore. Right elbow swollen and sore. Surgeon nextdoor neighbor checked me out, determined the elbow didn't need stitches and no torn rotator cuffs, Rx RICE therapy

Ugh. Sorry, that’s one hell of a fall!’

Olesya C

Always learning
Skier

View attachment 178608

View attachment 178609

View attachment 178610

View attachment 178611

Yikes - that looks really painful! I am so sorry about your fall. Wishing you speedy recovery and no worries if you need to rest up and heal this weekend. We will be going to Big Snow again sometime in October probably.

Shawn

Beep beep
Skier
Weekend skating MLK drive roadway
That's rough. I'm glad the parents reacted appropriately and were concerned for you.

I tweaked my knee last week on the Chester Valley Trail. My skate got deflected by trail debris at the exact moment I put my weight on it. Resulted in a weird-feeling inward rotation of my knee. Didn't hear any pops but I knew the moment it happened that my knee was not supposed to bend that way. We have to stay healthy for ski season. It's definitely falling season with all the trail debris; nevermind darting children.

Winks

AKA "Gary".
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Hey everyone just a little update on my trip. Unfortunately my schedule did not work out as planned and I will not be skiing on Wednesday the 28th. I will now be skiing Monday the 26th and possibly Tuesday the 27th if I make it on time Monday it will be afternoon/evening and Tuesday would be in the morning as I need to pick up my coworkers in the afternoon. It will probably be just me as my coworkers have some other appointments.
Hope to meet up with some of you if not I’ll catch you next time!

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

View attachment 178608

View attachment 178609

View attachment 178610

View attachment 178611

Ugh, memories of bicycle crashes! MLK is super fun but those unexpected hazards. I once nearly crashed in a time trial on MLK because of family of ducks decided to cross the road right in front of me. :rolleyes:

You’re gonna be sore…but, perhaps, moving around gently via some easy skiing will aid, rather than inhibit, recovery???

If not, we’ll be sad to miss you.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hey everyone just a little update on my trip. Unfortunately my schedule did not work out as planned and I will not be skiing on Wednesday the 28th. I will now be skiing Monday the 26th and possibly Tuesday the 27th if I make it on time Monday it will be afternoon/evening and Tuesday would be in the morning as I need to pick up my coworkers in the afternoon. It will probably be just me as my coworkers have some other appointments.
Hope to meet up with some of you if not I’ll catch you next time!
Well, the 28th would have worked for me, but not earlier that week. Sorry I will miss the chance to meet you and take a few indoor laps. I don't think Big Snow is open in the morning.

Perhaps some in the thread will be interested in an October trip to Big Snow? @neonorchid when you heal up?

It is currently raining in Killington. Yesterday we dodged rain drops to take a small hike on the AT near the Clarendon Gorge.

TS
Uncle-A

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier

View attachment 178608

View attachment 178609

View attachment 178610

View attachment 178611

Feel better soon and hopefully you will join us at Big Snow.

Sponsor