• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New Jersey Indoor Skiing Gathering

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
The park looks too wide? Not much in there.
We skied on the park side more than the ski side- lots of wanna-be's who apparently are not given any instruction on the ski side! And a few racers-
There are some rails, a box and a couple jumps (never saw anyone take a jump) fun rollers at the bottom to play on. They didn't have the poma lift running- we used that side to make our own slalom course it was about a groomer width wide. The ski side had quite a bit of snow piled up during our 2hrs.

It did bother me that there doesn't seem to be any 'first timer" instruction, many don't know how to load the lift, nor how to put the skis/snowboards, helmets on, some had no helmets. We watched a girl fall and get her bell rung her unbuckled helmet rolled away from her. No Ski patrol came to her for quite a while. @LiquidFeet stood up hill to guard her and the patrol guy who 'finally' showed up..

If you go- watch out for people in the Red Big Snow coats- and kids in green big snow coats- they are Renting everything and most likely never-ever's, IMO they can be dangerous. It is fun but after 2 hours for me it got boring. BUT it was FUN to ski and FUN to be with Ski Talk friends, that was why I went so I left very satisfied. Now I'm really jonesing to get on the Mountain!

TS
Uncle-A

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I'll still be there with my Killington buddy on October 4th if anyone is around that day.
Are you still planning on skiing on October 4th because I am probably not going to make it.

Olesya C

Always learning
Skier
I may be at Big Snow on 10/29 around opening time.
It's an almost 2 hr drive for me and I will not get there at 10 am. I can probably get there 12 or so the earliest if I find anyone who is interested in going with me. In the past we have done 1:15 pm sessions and that worked well, especially for people who have longer drives.

Joby Graham

Getting off the lift
Skier
My gf (she's a Diva) and I will be going to Big Snow to get in some pre-season turns. I'll be wrenching at NJMP on 10/29. Since she's retired and I'm semi, we'll have the luxury of skiing midweek, both in and outdoors.

Olesya C

Always learning
Skier
My gf (she's a Diva) and I will be going to Big Snow to get in some pre-season turns. I'll be wrenching at NJMP on 10/29. Since she's retired and I'm semi, we'll have the luxury of skiing midweek, both in and outdoors.
What is her skidiva screen name?

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It's an almost 2 hr drive for me and I will not get there at 10 am. I can probably get there 12 or so the earliest if I find anyone who is interested in going with me. In the past we have done 1:15 pm sessions and that worked well, especially for people who have longer drives.
the 29th will be my last Saturday for skating the drives until April, but if I do go noon is the earliest for me too, 1:15 pm would work out better

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
My riding plans have changed for tomorrow. Thinking about checking this place out tomorrow.

Any recommendations on the best place to park to limit carrying stuff through the mall?
Also, how warm do you dress for 28 degrees with zero sun and wind? Never really had to think about that before.

TS
Uncle-A

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
My riding plans have changed for tomorrow. Thinking about checking this place out tomorrow.

Any recommendations on the best place to park to limit carrying stuff through the mall?
Also, how warm do you dress for 28 degrees with zero sun and wind? Never really had to think about that before.
Park in lot "A" it is the closest to the skiing and base layer, mid layer of 1/4 zip fleece, and jacket worked for me.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
If you go to the upper level of lot A, you'll save one floor on the escalators. When I went over labor day weekend, I had (not heavily) insulated ski pants over shorts, and a fleece hoodie over a tee-shirt. My arms were just starting to get a little chilly by the end of the session. If I was doing it now in cooler weather, I would do the same hoodie over a long sleeve shirt and shell pants over fleece pants. I like to travel light :)

Olesya C

Always learning
Skier
the 29th will be my last Saturday for skating the drives until April, but if I do go noon is the earliest for me too, 1:15 pm would work out better
I am leaning towards going hiking with my husband since it will be sunny and nice hiking weather, according to the current forecast at least.